• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for critical feedback for a campaign plot!

Dark Eternal

First Post
Ok, here's the setup. I have an idea for a campaign story that I'd like to develop, but I'm afraid that it may be a little to simple / cliche. What I'd really like are some critical suggestions for ways to improve the plot. The basic summary is as follows:

Ages ago, the world was nearly rent asunder by a great conflict. An elven sorcerer, after centuries of seeking the secret to reality, had unlocked the truth about magic. Somewhat unstable to begin with, the knowledge had driven him mad, and he had set into motion a great power that would, if completed, lead to the unraveling of reality. The greatest heroes of the age had risen up to defeat him, but they had been bested.

A council of the wisest minds of the Age concluded that only one who held the same keys to power that their enemy possessed could defeat him - but a mortal mind could not contain such knowledge and remain sane. So at first, they tried to create an artifact that could hold such power - but this plan failed, as the sentient artifact was overwhelmed by the forces it tapped. So they tried a second time - only this time, they created three weapons, each of which would tap only a portion of the knowledge they needed. Acting in concert, the council theorized, the three weapons would be able to best the sorcerer. This plan was successful, and the three weapons were forged. Soul Shard (neutral good), Dream Reaver (lawful evil), and the Thunder Blade(chaotic neutral), acting in concert, overwhelmed the insane elf and consumed his soul - each of the blades containing one third of his essence. Then, the weapons were scattered and sealed away, as they represented a power too tempting - and ultimately, too dangerous - to leave free.

A great deal of time passed, and the world recovered from the brink of destruction. Eventually, other developments eclipsed the ancient conflict, and the weapons and their stories were forgotten.

A great deal more time has now passed, bringing us to the current day. Predictably enough, one of the ancient weapons has been discovered, and, in the hands of a capable and ambitious man, it is causing a massive shift in the balance of power in the world.

The catch is that over the ages, the spirit of the sorcerer has tainted and partially possessed the weapons in which it is contained. Now, the weapons seek to manipulate events to lead to their reunion - which will result in the resurrection of the ancient and thoroughly insane sorcerer, Talisaad. Who will, of course, pick up where he left off... only this time, the weapons which were his only bane are now his tools......

So, what suggestions would you all make to improve this basic storyline? Do you think this has the potential to form the skeletal structure for a good campaign? Is it too simple, or too cliched? Would it be enough to catch your interest as is, and if not, how would you change it so that you would be interested in playing it?

Feedback is strongly desired - so throw in your two cents worth!

fba827

Adventurer
It may seem a little cliche, but remember you're looking at the entire skeletal structure. That's always a little cliche...

When you make up advantures based off of this, real-life time spanning inbetween games and such will make what is laid out so nicely in summary be a bit more mental work over the course of many adventures.

Up front, only things I have to say are:

* Don't give it away at the start, make the whole "back story" come out over the course of the thing (that may go without saying, of course)

* The elven sorcerer has a disadvantage in the fact that they are three weapons -- he can not wield three weapons himself (without extra arms) so if you want these three artifacts to be fully usable by the sorcerer either have him find a way to use three weapons at once (not hard if you give him extra arms through magic and mutiappendage feats from the MM) OR change the artifacts from 3 weapons to a weapon, an armor and a shield... or something (just an example)...or maybe 3 gems that he plans to inlay upon some other magic device he hopes to create to channel their power, etc. etc.

* Word of warning, if you do use weapons, think ong and hard about the kind of weapon. one game it was a very magical long sword artifact that was the object of the quest and since the fighter had so much speciality in long sword he did not want to give it up at the end after getting it from the bad guy, etc.

* (This is COMPLETELY a personal bias) I was never found of the whole generic "elders who always know everything but part of the community" sort of thing. Make them seem a bit more specific - powerful druids who saw the balance falling or the destruction it would cause. or power Wizards from the high mountain who did not want magic to be corrupted by this sorcerer...

hmm.. will add more later if I think of something. :)

Gilladian

Adventurer
I like this!

You could have a secret society, or even a couple of them, that were devoted to protecting the relics. Possibly one of these groups has been corrupted by your bad guy. Maybe the PCs are affiliated with the other secret society or will become so over the course of the campaign.

I really liked the idea of all three relics not being weapons. Three different items that rely on different class skills to use them to maximum benefit is probably a bit more fun, as well as allowing the sorcerer to potentially wield all three simultaneously.

This campaign plot could lend itself very well to bardic influence; they would have songs and tales of the deeds of the previous heroes, possibly lost tales that would have to be sought out from old abandoned schools and mysterious libraries.

Just a couple of suggestions!

Gilladian

willpax

First Post
I actually like the idea of three weapons--it means that the BBEG will actually need to recruit some help to accomplish the plan for total destruction (tm).

That could mean a later opportunity to test the allegiances of some players, especially if the BBEG's plans are not clear.

The main problems I see, which may not be a problem, are in the beginning stages of this plot. This is some powerful stuff; either you start at higher level or you need some other, shorter term plot to get things rolling.

One suggestion for a short term "starter" plot would be a way of forcing the group to prove their worth to some group that has a vested interest in protecting these artifacts. Perhaps the players have suffered at the hands of the minions of this more recent evil guy, and see working for this organization as a way to even the score. That way, you can fill lots of adventures with espionage, battle raids, and being sent on mysterious errands to retrieve long lost lore. Eventually, it should become clear that the evil guy is looking for two other artifacts (maybe the protector group doesn't know there are others--the knowledge of the other artifacts was hidden as a safety precaution). But take your time getting there, and develop a few intermediate baddies along the way.

Glen

First Post
I like the idea. Are there areas that are around due to the great conflict still? Maybe a rift/chasm or areas of wild magic or null magic. These could be indications of a great cataclysm that happened in time forgotten. This would allow the people to slowly learn that what was then could happen again. They may not know about it but run across it in an adventure.

If your going to run it from beginning level characters I would have them either chased out of their homes or in an area that is coming under the influence of the first weapon/Item. This would allow them to gain levels fairly fast as they will probably run into small group of villains to fight all through the territory. This will also allow them to think they are making a difference then have vengeance when they lose the area to the greater forces.

I would probably start with the evil artifact but the neutral one could be just as good.

When the Items were made they probably would have been made with the intention of no allowing any one person use them at one time. Of course with the understanding of the basic structure of the universe then the villain could figure out how to overcome this. This would be up to you as the gm. I would make it so at least one of them is not under his control. Maybe he has to have his minion there with the other two weapons to overcome its resistance.

I would probably have the characters along the first 10 levels find lesser items that are a mirror to the main items. Good foreshadowing for the main event. Not necessarily the same alignment of the originals but similar type of items.

I like the Idea of having them do research for the items, maybe when they are running have them come upon an old temple or an abandoned stronghold that has some info in it that will start them looking at the weapon the bad guy is using. Maybe an old knight that is the last of his line that wants to pass his duties on to someone. Make a great quest and give the people a chance to learn something, but as the time has passed a great deal of knowledge has been lost. If they go to ...they may find more.

Some suggestions to flush it out.

Gundark

Explorer
what i would do

well what you could do is have not 3 weapons but 3 parts to one weapon. the weapon is not ot actually be used on the sorcerer. In the module x10 red arrow black shield the players need to recover this dagger like artifact to defeat this evil spellcaster who's army is raging across the continent. The players needed to figure out how to use it, simply hitting the spellcaster with the dagger was ineffective, what the players needed to do was use the dagger on this gem where he keeps his life force. Thus it wasn't the same old "use the sword on the bad guy" but use the sword on something else, of course you don't let your players know this, they have to figure it out on there own.

Remove ads