• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

looking for fantasy adventure books recommendations

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Neil Gaiman (I like his Sandman comic books better than his fantasy novels...but I loved Sandman, so his fantasy novels are still pretty good. American Gods is a good starting pickup)
I quite like his American Gods and Anasi Boys. Though for those that don't know it is modern fantasy.

drothgery

First Post
I'm in the middle of reading Ship Of Magic (Liveship Traders) series by Robin Hobbs, and I like it a lot. Looking for other books that are great too.

There's lots of great fantasy out there, but if you're looking for something along the same lines as the Liveship Traders books...

Well, Hobb's Assassin and Tawny Man series on either side of that in the same world are worth reading (same world, slightly before and slightly after), and the last book of the unrelated Soldier Son trilogy just hit paperback (I'm about halfway through it), and Hobb isn't any kinder to her protagonists in her other series.

Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series (both of them) are also quite good.

Brandon Sanderson's Elantris and his Mistborn trilogy. He's the guy who's going to be finishing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, so if you ever got sucked into that and are wondering about the guy chosen to finish it, you might take a flyer there on general principles.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion books (Curse of Chalion, Hallowed Hunt, Paladin of Souls). Her Sharing Knife series isn't nearly as dark, and is sort of a romance in a fantasy world, but it's Bujold, so it's good.

For something more light-hearted, I'd go with
Most of Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos novels (and all the Khaavren romances)
Anything by Terry Pratchett

Enoch26sf

First Post
I almost forgot to mention a great trilogy about a paladin, The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

I think i've heard of this book. Thanks to everyone that's made recommendations so far :) I would still appreciate more recommendations if any newcomers to the thread has any that haven't been mentioned yet.

Chzbro

First Post
I'm a big fan of Steven Erikson, Glen Cook, and George R.R. Martin among those who have already been mentioned.

Another series I enjoyed a great deal is the Guardians of the Flame (starting with the Sleeping Dragon) by Joel Rosenberg. I don't hear many people mention Rosenberg anymore, but in my opinion that series has some of the most interesting, layered characters in fantasy. Who doesn't love Ahira Bandylegs and Walter Slovatsky?

The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes is also worth a look. Not quite as engaging (in my opinion) as the others, but entertaining and well written.

Brandigan

Explorer
A lot of great suggestions so far. Consider Daniel Fox's 'Dragon in Chains'. A great read if you are looking for something a bit off the beaten path.

Bumbles

First Post
So many good names and so many questionable exclusions....

Let's see, of names I haven't seen.

C. J. Cherryh. Like Hobb her writing can be quite dense, but you like Hobb so that's not a problem. A bit more Sci-fi than Fantasy, but not so much you have to worry about finding them.

Patricia McKillip so terse and complex it's hard to believe.

Katherine Kerr. Katherine Kurtz. So close together, you can't miss either.

Harry Turtledove. More into alternate history fiction, but has his share of alternate history mixed with fantasy.

Salvatore...because nobody mentioned him yet!

I think i've heard of this book. Thanks to everyone that's made recommendations so far :) I would still appreciate more recommendations if any newcomers to the thread has any that haven't been mentioned yet.

I'm currently reading it too, it's quite interesting. Personally I couldn't get through Robin Hobb's "Soldier's Son" trilogy, I found it too depressing, significantly more so than than a Song of Ice and Fire, although I did enjoy the Assassin's Quest, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man books (even though I didn't read them in order). I also enjoyed the earlier Ki and Vandian Quartet written by the same author under a different pseudonym (Megan Lindholm), even though they are quite different, more low key and not really "heroic" fantasy like the books with FitzChivalry, but then again, neither are the Liveship Traders books.

I'd also recommend some older stuff not really mentioned, Poul Anderson's "The Broken Sword" and "Three Hearts and Three Lions" are both very good, and a lot more tied into mythological roots than modern fantasy. The Howard Conan stories are very enjoyable if you're into that sort of thing. There's a lot of short stories so you can find you fairly easily if you are. Micheal Moorcock wrote huge piles of Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery of various levels of quality, my favourite being "The War Hound and the World's Pain" although the Hawkmoon books "The History of the Runestaff" are very good and probably closer to traditional fantasy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads