D&D 5E Looking for feedback on my cooking homebrew system

R_J_K75

Legend
I would just point out that you may need to watch the amount of time the PC gets to shine away from the other PCs. This feat appears to be a lot different than others in that there are more roleplaying opportunities with this feat.

Something I had thought of as well but seems like it has already been considered. OTOH it could create roleplaying opportunities for the whole group.

NotAYakk

Legend
I'd go with more random.

Master Chef: feat. You gain proficiency with chef's tools. If you are already proficient in chef's tools, you instead gain expertise.

During a long or short rest you can consume purchased or fresh foraged ingredients to either invent a recipe, practice a recipe, or reproduce one you have mastered.

You can have as many recipie's mastered at one time as you have proficiency bonus. If you want to try to master another recipie, you must forget one of the one's you have mastered.

All recipe's have key ingredients. Exotic or high quality ingredients can grant a bonus to your check. You cannot benefit from a specific bonus again until you take another long rest, and bonuses that grant lasting effects last until you take another rest.

Invent a Recipe:
Start with a key ingredient. Higher quality ingredients give a bonus to this and later checks.

15+: food is edible
20+: roll once on the bonus table
25+: roll twice on the bonus table, pick either

Practice a Recipe
Requires the key ingredients for the recipe.

10+: Food is edible, but no bonus.
15+: Successfully reproduced, give bonus.
20+: Recipe is mastered. Roll once more on the bonus table and add it to the meal's effects.
25+: Recipe is mastered. Roll twice on the bonus table, and pick either.

Reproduce a Mastered Recipe:
Requires the key ingredients for the recipe.

10+: Food is edible, but no bonus.
15+: Successfully reproduced.

Bonus Table
1: Gain 1 Temp HP per character level
2: +5 foot speed
3: Regain 1 HD.
4: Gain 1d4 you can spend once to gain a saving throw bonus once as a reaction to the roll
5: Gain 1d4 you can add to an attack/damage roll once as a reaction to the roll
6: Gain 1d4 you can add to an attribute check once as a reaction to the roll
7: Gain 1d4 you can add to your AC to avoid an attack once as a reaction to the roll
8: As a bonus action, remove disadvantage on one attack or ability check on your turn.
9: Any HD that rolled an even value that where spent during this rest are not expended.
10: Heal 1 point of ability damage, if any.
11: Spicy! As a reaction to taking fire damage, you can gain resistance against the damage. (special ingredients could change the type of damage you gain resistance from here)
12: Satisfying. Your next short rest takes only 10 minutes.

So mastered recipes have two effects on the above table.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I might add something where the CR of a monster gets added to the roll. This may represent the rarer ingredient. This may also tie to another thread about eating intelligent monsters but a rare beast liver may add a bonus to the check.

I may even let the player take a go at creating something with listing bonuses from animals. A black dragon adds 5 to the check and grants resistance to acid for 1 day or 1 hit or something. It could even be automatic. Might need to think about how many bonuses can be going at one time though.

Now I kind of picture a chuck wagon following the group with a bunch or hanging meats dangling off the back. You will also need to get a hireling to drive and sous for the PC.

RoiC.

Explorer
I like your suggestions guys, but I'm aiming for something pretty simple here. Might use @aco175 's idea for CR when I go for the more exotic monsters.

Thanks a lot y'all, appreciate it.

jasper

Rotten DM
On a fail of 10 or worst the barbarian makes raisins oatmeal cookies by mistake. He is beaten, whipped, brain fried. No long rest benefit for him or party.

Remove ads