Looking for help min/maxing ranger

Nightblade81

First Post
Hi guys. I've been playing 3.5 for a few years but have never min/maxed a character. Soon I will be retiring my main, who I've had since the start, and am looking to replace him with a min/maxed dual (hand?)crossbow ranger. I've heard of the build for a while but I'm really not sure how to proceed in terms of min/maxing so your assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)The only things I have set in stone aside from his name and backstory are his starting level (14) and stat rolls (18, 16, 16, 14, 11, 10). Everything else like race, feats, etc I'm really not entirely sure. So please, fire away! :)

It would really help is if you can give us an idea on what source books are allowed.

Classes
Nothing wrong with going straight ranger. You won't get much from Many Shot though.
Rogue gives you proficiency in Hand Crossbows and sneak attack.
Scout, always a fun choice for archers but you won't be able to fire both Hand Crossbows on a standard.
Fighter gives bonus feats. Yea, bonus feats!

Feats:
To dual wield hand crossbows, you're going to need Two Weapon Fighting and Rapid Reload. Precise Shot and Point Blank Shot are going to be useful, if not mandatory. If you're not going to grab a level in Rogue, you'll need Exotic Weapon Proficiency, too. If you have access to Drow of the Underdark, Hand Crossbow Focus is an excellent choice. It's Rapid Reload and Weapon Focus all in one. Crossbow Sniper in PHB2 will give you some bonus damage, too.

Equipment
Gnome Crossbow Sight is pretty awesome. Treat everything two range increments closer and it's pretty cheap.
If you can get the Quick Loading weapon enhancement in the Magic Item Compendium you'll save yourself a feat. Quick Loading also allows you to store 100 bolts in an extradimensional space.
The Precise weapon enhancement will also save you a feat (MIC).
The Force weapon enhancement (MIC) allows you to ignore DR and not miss against incorporeal targets.
Quiver of Energy (MIC) gives your bolts an elemental property. Can be a way to save money depending on how you build your crossbows.

Races
Nothing wrong with human.
Drow gives you free proficiency in Hand Crossbows.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing. Hopefully this will be a start for you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases