• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Looking for ideas - the "Mad Architect"

Psion

Adventurer
As is often the case when I start planning out adventures, I am finding that planning too far in advance turns out to be a waste.

I was planning on having the players explore a ruined temple on their way to other cities for other reasons. I pictured a temple that fell during the Godswar, infested with Burned Ones and Huecuvas (um, undead creatures made from clerics who lost their way.) Looking for maps, I stumbled on this:
https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/2016/03/18/the-lost-ossuary/

Then I am considering how an extradimensional ossuary came to be below a cathedral. I started to consider the idea that a "mad architect" was responsible, and his crazy lair happened without the priests' knowledge. I was considering making him into an end-boss and started to consider what he would be...

... and as per normal, my mind is sabotaging me. I am now thinking of making the Mad Architect into a Dark Wanderer or Sephiroth type campaign-central villain. Which sort of takes a bowling ball to most of the ideas I had already thought up for the game. My intent was, over the course of the game, to have the players:
1) Deal with the cult of Belsameth, a goddess of assassins, lycanthropes, death, madness, and magic.
2) Contend with Asaatthi (snake-men) and other followers of Mormo, a snake-themed titan.
3) Explore ruins looking for remnants of the Slarecians (psionic ancient race)
4) Free an elven tower from a bottled up demon-infested land of their own making (made to contain the demons)

Now this works into #3, but I don't think I can fit #4 into the scope of the campaign if I go this direaction. I still very much want to do #1 and #2, but if I introduce the Mad Architect this early, it may consume the focus of the game. On the bright side, I think this could be an interesting substrate for the game, but I want to keep several elements I already had alive.

And I have not figured out exactly what the Mad Architect is yet. Any bright ideas? For the moment, I'm thinking a Psychic Lich, but I'm not sure whether or not that's the right thing. I am thinking something with some other form of serial immortality would work, but that comes close. But I am also thinking it may need to be something more bizarre.

upogsi

First Post
I did an interesting dungeon once that dealt with non-euclidean geometry and stuff. Basically incorporated the never ending staircase, relative gravity and rooms on ceilings. Doing combat on a sphere or cylinder is also really interesting.

Remove ads