• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Interest--Fullmetal Alchemist (using Mutants and Masterminds)

Rystil Arden

First Post
If you think Al has high stats, you should see some of the others (though he does have a fairly respectable number of points spent on stats (Lust, for instance, has 14 20 20 16 16 20). Al has 8 Wisdom and a total of -1 Sense Motive, which seems about right. In fact, to give an example of a Complication that gains Hero Points, Al has the Complication 'Naive'. I know that in-game, even if you fail a Sense Motive check, nothing stops someone from acting suspicious, so Al has the Naive complication--since he always thinks the best of people and wants to believe them (demonstrated many a time in the show, for instance with Psiren). This means that by being naive, Al can earn extra hero points! :)

[SBLOCK]Remember, I've not seen the movie. In the game, though he's forgotten his time with Ed, this Al does remember his time at the gate, and so he has 'Slap' Alchemy like Ed did. He can complete the circle by clapping his hands together, though he does have a metal bracer that assists here and can be transmuted into a metal weapon like Ed's bladehand from the show, etc.

Here's the skinny on the powers:

All Alchemists in the game have the 'Alchemy' power. It's the typical transmutation circle business, and it takes a full round, like summoning a monster, and can be interrupted. Alternately (this is listed under Alternate: Complex Transmutation Circle), he can draw a slighty more complex array and larger array and take more time to perform a bigger transmutation. Also, the Alchemical Ritualist feat lets him research and build those huge complex arrays (like the Sealing the Homunculus array), taking a very long time but performing unique effects.

Now, onto Al's special stuff: 'Slap' Alchemy: Metal and Stone lets him do metal and stone-based transmutations very quickly (only a Move action!). He also has a few other alternates listed for special attacks using Alchemy. Attack I lets him attack all enemies in an array as a standard action (this could be a big crushing fist, a stone explosion, etc). Attack II is a single-target attack that shoots out a lot of little things, like the time Izumi shot out all those stone shards at Armstrong. Stone Blockade is a standard action that lets him block enemy melee attacks against himself or ranged attacks against any nearby ally for the next round by putting up walls of stone.

Strike 8 is very simple--this is his attack. When Ed charges forward with his sword-arm, or wields a transmuted spear, this is what you use to represent any of those things. And Al is one of the few characters who is skilled at fighting with just about anything he can get his hands on.

Soul-Link--Metal Armour is that thing we talked about before.

[/SBLOCK]

Rystil Arden

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
Yeash, so why such huge ability scores?

I haven't seen the movie either, but I've watched the trailer, shows pretty much everything I just mentioned. You can see it at www.fullmetalalchemist.com.
Lust has 'Ineluctable Memories', which gives her ability boosts. In general, characters often have fairly high scores in M&M unless they are trying to min/max their character's powers or feats ruthlessly. They are heroic characters, after all, right?

Dire Lemming

First Post
Right, but so are adventurers in D&D. People(myself included) often forget that adventurers are already supposed to be more powerful than normal people. Still I guess a guy whose trained for years with a sword still isn't a match for Superman. Though they might be able to beat some weakling superhero like.... um... one of my weak City of Heroes characters... :p

Rystil Arden

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
Right, but so are adventurers in D&D. People(myself included) often forget that adventurers are already supposed to be more powerful than normal people. Still I guess a guy whose trained for years with a sword still isn't a match for Superman. Though they might be able to beat some weakling superhero like.... um... one of my weak City of Heroes characters... :p
Right, though a 10 stat is average, so a 25 PB character with 12 in all stats and one 13 is barely above average. The Superman-esque default character ib M&M has 34 Str and Con (though he has a power to make his strength more for lifting things) and 12 Dex and Wis, 10 Int, 13 Cha.

Dire Lemming

First Post
With that dex he's not really superman as much as a less ugly version of The Thing. :D It looks like there aren't really any classes, how does that work? Also, what are all those numbers in parentheses? I understand the skill ranks but other than that I'm confused.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
With that dex he's not really superman as much as a less ugly version of The Thing. :D It looks like there aren't really any classes, how does that work? Also, what are all those numbers in parentheses? I understand the skill ranks but other than that I'm confused.
Numbers are for points spent, like with point-buy for stats, except with everything. That's why I said you might have low stats if you needed to pay a lot for other aspects of the characters.

As to the sample Superman, he does have Flight and Super-speed. They have a 'Thing' type guy too, with 34 Str 38 Con, and lots of 10s.

Dire Lemming

First Post
Well I guess I'd be insterested in playing Al, though if someone comes along who really wants to play him I might play someone else. I wonder how many other people will actualy want to play, so far it seems like only one other person is interested. :( I wonder what the problem is.

So are you playing something like this tabletop too? How's it going?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
Well I guess I'd be insterested in playing Al, though if someone comes along who really wants to play him I might play someone else. I wonder how many other people will actualy want to play, so far it seems like only one other person is interested. :( I wonder what the problem is.

So are you playing something like this tabletop too? How's it going?
Well, the thing you have to understand about my face to face group is that I don't have one up here in Cambridge--the gamers at MIT just don't do d20 (they LARP and join the Assassin's Guild--yes, we have one). So I only get to play with my Face to Face group once every few months or so. As such, I haven't gotten a chance to actually run this yet. They haven't even picked characters :D

As to the interest level--yeah, it looks like it is only you and stonegod so far. If we don't have more interest, I probably won't put up a recruiting thread, I guess. Too bad :(

Dire Lemming

First Post
So that's why MIT is so prestigious, I wondered...

Some people are just looking for any game and lock on to the word recruiting, so it couldn't hurt to make one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads