• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Magic Item to Increase Fort Saves

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I liked this thread about magic items to increase Will saves so much:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=160408

that I figured I would create one for Fort saves.

I have a 10th level Gnome Wizard (Illusionist) who could use a higher fort save. He's already probably going to take a level of MindBender, which helps a bit with Fort saves. He's also going to be wearing a Vest of Resistance +3, so I cannot duplicate that bonus-type, and a Con-Boosting Item, so he cannot duplicate that either.

He does not have a feat to give, so it cannot be a feat. He also doesn't have a Prestige Class level to give for quite some time, so that won't help.

Sources Available: Almost any WOTC. This is specifically a Forgotten Realms campaign. And, I am not personally a fan of using Dragon Magazine items or stuff, since I don't have faith that it's been as play-tested as the WOTC books (not that the books are perfect or anything).

Any other items out there? A long term spell (or a wand of the same) would also help, but I am not aware of any that are available to Wizards.

boolean

Explorer
How large a con-boost is the con-boosting item? (And I'm assuming it's an enhancement bonus due to your mention of it not stacking.)

I'd recommend a Belt of Endurance from the Arms and Equipment Guide. The wearer gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Con, and the Great Fortitude feat. Which also gives the secondary advantage of freeing up the amulet slot.

Mistwell

boolean said:
How large a con-boost is the con-boosting item? (And I'm assuming it's an enhancement bonus due to your mention of it not stacking.)

I'd recommend a Belt of Endurance from the Arms and Equipment Guide. The wearer gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Con, and the Great Fortitude feat. Which also gives the secondary advantage of freeing up the amulet slot.

Hmm. Now there is one I had not looked into yet. Thanks!

smootrk

First Post
Mistwell said:
Yeah, hence I mentioned that I already had one.
I had missed that piece of info initially, and never bothered to update.

Take a level or two of fighter during the course of your career. The fort saves are good and who couldn't use a couple of bonus feats (that can be protective like dodge, mobility etc).

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Do you have a familiar? If not, a rat familiar gives a +2 bonus to fort saves.

The headband of Conscious Effort, IIRC (Mini HB) lets you replace a fort save with a Concentration check--only drawback: it's a headband and you're a wizard so the slot probably isn't free.

Heroism lasts 10 min/level and gives you a +2 morale bonus on all saves. That's a pretty sweet deal especially if you extend it with a lesser rod of extend spell. That's 3 hours of +2 to saves. As an added bonus, it also gives the bonus to attacks and skill checks. Greater heroism is +4 but only 1 min/level and a 6th level spell so it's generally less useful.

A ring of counterspells can stop a disintegrate spell (one of the fort saves wizards tend to worry about).

A +1 death ward mithral buckler would also negate the first negative energy attack on you each day--enervation, slay living, finger of death, etc. That would obviate the need for some of the scariest fort saves.

Hero's feats will make you immune to poison--and that's pretty handy.

Conviction--(Clr 1 IIRC) Spell Compendium and MiniHB gives a shield of faith like increasing morale bonus to saves for 1 min/level IIRC.

Better than increasing your save bonus, a luckblade can let you reroll a save once per day.

Polymorphing into a form with a massive con (a troll for instance) can also give you a huge increase in your fort saves.

Bill Muench

First Post
I second the Belt of Endurance, especially for clerics (which I realize doesn't apply here). It's a bargain at 10k, especially if your DM lets you upgrade the enhancement bonus to Con. Other options include taking a level of Loremaster for the Secret of Inner Fortitude (+2 to Fort saves, stacks with Great Fortitude). Heck, a rat, the belt, and the Secret give +7 alone. Add in your vest, a natural con of 14 (although as a gnome I'd bet it's higher) and your base save and you've got +15 if my math is right. Not bad for a 10th level wizard.

Mistwell

Elder-Basilisk said:
The headband of Conscious Effort, IIRC (Mini HB) lets you replace a fort save with a Concentration check--only drawback: it's a headband and you're a wizard so the slot probably isn't free.

It's from Complete Adventurer, and it only allows one use per day.

Remove ads