• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Miniature Storage Advice

Gilladian

Adventurer
I like the milky-translucent craft/bead/embroidery thread boxes available at craft stores for between $2 and 3.
moz-screenshot.png
SWAC077901.qch.fpx

Shades of Green

First Post
Thanks for the advice - thanks to all of you I've found a good solution to this problem, using a storage box I've bought at a hardware store for about 30$. I think I'll but another one soon so that I could expand my collection! :)

Box, closed:
miniaturesolution1.jpg

By golan2072 at 2010-09-05

Box, with one tray open:
miniaturesolution2.jpg

Box, in its resting place on the cupboard:
miniaturesolution3.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like the milky-translucent craft/bead/embroidery thread boxes available at craft stores for between $2 and 3.
moz-screenshot.png
SWAC077901.qch.fpx

Those things are simply ridiculously useful for the price. I use them to store loose gemstones- I design jewelry as a hobby- and the finished product is stored likewise.

moz-screenshot.png
SWAC077901.qch.fpx

I use these for all my minis -- as is for plastic minis, with a small foam insert cut from foam sheet for lead/pewter ones. Works great for organization and quick searching. The individual boxes get stacked into a large plastic storage bin for long-term storage.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Here's a picture of the outside of the padded four pistol case -
p6530857dt.jpg

$25 from Dick's. Couldn't find them on Walmart's page.

My cases have been dropped a goodly distance (c. 6ft.) and the minis came out undamaged. If you drag your minis around then you will be glad of that protection.

The Auld Grump, a lot more miniatures than he cares to think about....

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's something like the ones like Container Store had...but I bet the CS ones cost a little more. However, they DO come in a variety of sizes.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
That's something like the ones like Container Store had...but I bet the CS ones cost a little more. However, they DO come in a variety of sizes.
There are plenty of sizes for pistol cases - but I subscribe to the 'bigger is better' school of mini storage. :p

Mind you, I know a few people who use rifle cases. When one of them was running a game a few years back one of his players asked 'how many figures do you carry in that thing?' His reply was 'just one' accompanied by an evil grin....

The Auld Grump, actually, he often carried a 2,000 pt Warhammer army in the thing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Agreed, 100%!

Hey...those pistol cases- do they have plain foam rubber or is it that waffled stuff?

I ask because I just checked out the ones I got from CS: the foam within is the same type as in the Chessex boxes. Also similar to the Chessex boxes, the foam is pre-scored to make for convenient customization.

Unlike the Chessex, though, the foam is COMPLETELY pre-scored, as opposed to being formed into pre-selected shapes. So, if you have some kind of minotaur who is wielding a spear and has a wide-open stance, you can remove just enough blocks to make a nice hole for him and ONLY him.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So I'm looking for advice about improving my mini storage.

One option I'm considering is buying an Army Kit Bag from Flames of War, but its a bit expensive ($100 not including shipping).

Advice would be very welcome.

If you don't need them to travel, a lot of those storage solutions sell the stiff foam trays (that could be shapped or trimmed) individually.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads