• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking For New Author To Read

Simon Collins

Explorer
mmu1 said:
I think the easiest way to resolve this is for you to answer this: Do you like Alexandre Dumas? Have you read and enjoyed The Three Musketeers?

The Phoenix Guards books are Brust's homage to Dumas, and while they're in no way, shape or form simply a ripoff or a fantasy re-hash of the Musketeer novels, they're very heavily influenced by Dumas stylistically. I think that they stand well enough on their own that even someone not crazy about Dumas ought to give them a look - on the other hand, if you explicitly dislike Dumas' stuff, they're probably not the books for you.

The Taltos books, on the other hand, use a completely modern writing style, and are - in my opinion - a much faster read. Taltos, Dragon and Jhereg are also fairly short books, at under 300 pages, so you can find out if you like Brust rather quickly if you pick up one up.
Well, I'm ashamed to say I've never read Dumas. I've of course seen the films, which I enjoyed (mostly), but I'm sure the book(s?) is a different kettle of fish. However, from what you say, I think the Taltos books may be a better intro to Brust for me - I feel in need of something punchy and gripping.

mmu1

First Post
Simon Collins said:
Well, I'm ashamed to say I've never read Dumas. I've of course seen the films, which I enjoyed (mostly), but I'm sure the book(s?) is a different kettle of fish. However, from what you say, I think the Taltos books may be a better intro to Brust for me - I feel in need of something punchy and gripping.

It is books: The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, Viscount de Bragelone, and their Brustian equivalents: The Phoenix Guards, Five Hundred Years After, Viscount of Adrilankha. Though like I said, while there are many superficial similarities, Brust's books tell their own story and are planted very firmly in the past of the world he created for the Taltos novels.

Though the bottom line is, I'd recommend the Taltos books as my first choice, too.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Simon Collins said:
The Drawing of the Dark looks fun too.

I'm a big Tim Powers fan. Drawing of the Dark may not fit many pre-concieved notions on what a fantasy novel is about. It might not fit under your "wierd" clause. Though I tell you, Tim Powers is worth reading. To go off topic for a bit, Anubis Gates and the Last Call / Expiration Date / Earthquake Weather (same world, some character overlap) would be my first recommendations for Tim Powers, but don't meet your criteria. Shame - I'd recommend Last Call before Drawing of the Dark - it approaches many of the same concepts, but Last Call is so well done. But it's both "wierd" and not fantasy.

I too recommend Brust, he's fantastic. Like swashbuckling - start with Pheonix Guards. But the main character of the Jhereg books is one of my favorites across all I've read.

Someone mentioned Mercedes Lackey. Her earlier works I liked, but I haven't been a fan of the last few years - don't know if my reading tastes have changed or her style. The Last Hearld Mage series might be a good place to start.

Might want to try Glen Cook. For grim and gritty, you've got the Black Company serties, which spawned an RPG. He's also done the iconic hard-boiled fantasy detective series with the Garret, P.I. books. Just reading one of them now.

If you can stand a small dose of SF in it, I strognly recommend C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy. Excellent characters, novel and well thought out world, epic without being full of Mary Sues, loads of shades of grey even more then the George RR Martin books (and that's saying a lot).

Good Luck,
=Blue

mmu1

First Post
Blue said:
Shame - I'd recommend Last Call before Drawing of the Dark - it approaches many of the same concepts, but Last Call is so well done. But it's both "wierd" and not fantasy.

Sure it is... It's modern fantasy, like - for example - various stuff by Charles DeLint. Just with fewer fairies and weird hippy stuff. ;)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If you can stand a small dose of SF in it, I strognly recommend C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy. Excellent characters, novel and well thought out world, epic without being full of Mary Sues, loads of shades of grey even more then the George RR Martin books (and that's saying a lot).

Yes, Yes, Yes, read this series.

Pants

First Post
Blue said:
Might want to try Glen Cook. For grim and gritty, you've got the Black Company serties, which spawned an RPG. He's also done the iconic hard-boiled fantasy detective series with the Garret, P.I. books. Just reading one of them now.

Good Luck,
=Blue
Both of these are really good, though I haven't read either in ages.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Three Musketeers is from a historical period you claim not to be interested in, so. Excellent book, otherwise.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
mmu1 said:
Oh yeah - if you do decide you like Brust, then also check out his Agyar - it's a really good modern vampire story.

Las ttime I recommended Agyar to someone, I was careful not to mention the V word. I think it's more fun realising that part-way through... especially since Brust, himself, never uses the V word...

-Hyp.

Simon Collins

Explorer
Jdvn1: I've probably not read Dumas because of the time period, I must admit. That's not to say I won't give them or Brust's homage a go at some time, but probably just not what I'm looking for at the moment.

Blue: Glen Cook is on my read list (if you check the OP :p ) - enjoyed without being thrilled. CS Friedman I've not read but right now I'm not interested in anything with 'a small dose of SF in it'. No offence, I'm sure they're a good read, just not what I'm looking for.

It's hard to qualify my Really Weird caveat - as other posters have pointed out, de Lint and Holdstock can get pretty weird at times, and I still like them. It's probably my most easily broken caveat - it's just got to be well written and resonate if it's going to get weird. My only concern about Powers is that some of the themes of Tim Powers' books don't resonate with me too well, from what I read about a few of them last night (e.g. gambling, crime, etc.). I do like the Fisher King stuff, though.

Remove ads