• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for opinions on a new PrC.

Blacktongue

First Post
I'm trying to come up with a new prestige class for a cleric who specializes in fighting undead. I liked the Radiant Servant of Pelor PrC, but it seemed a bit too powerful to me, and contained many abilities that wouldn't fit my purposes. I basically took that class, stripped it down, moved and restricted some of its powers and added one or two new ones as follows:
1. I changed the Hit Die from d6 to d8.
2. I removed the Martial Weapon Proficiency, Radiance, Empower Healing, Divine Health, Aura of Warding, Maximize Healing and Supreme Healing.
3. I added Detect Undead at level 2.
4. I moved Greater Extra Turning from level 1 to 3 (to prevent characters from taking one level just to become uber-turners) and restricted it to 3 times a day for anyone without the Sun domain (I removed the Sun domain requirement to make the class more accessible to paladins and possibly some druids).
5. I restricted the Additional Domain to Glory only (instead of allowing a choice of domains).
6. I added Consecrated Presence at level 10 (the same as the Sacred Exorcist's ability, but at a later level).

My tentative name for the PrC is Deanimator (a play on H.P. Lovecraft's Re-Animator). I would appreciate any comments or suggestions (including name ideas). Thanks!

DEANIMATOR
Hit Die: d8.

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a deanimator, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any good.
Base Will Save Bonus: +5
Skill: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks.
Feat: Extra Turning.
Spells: Able to cast 2nd level divine spells.
Special: Able to turn undead.

CLASS SKILLS
The deanimator's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge(religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Search (Int) and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Deanimator advancement table

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the deanimator prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Deanimators gain no proficiency with any weapons, armor or shields.
Spells per Day/Spells Known: A deanimator gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (metamagic or item creation feats and so on; but see Turn Undead, below). If he had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a deanimator, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.
Turn Undead (Su): A deanimator adds his deanimator class levels to his cleric levels for all purposes related to turning undead.
Detect Undead (Sp): At 2nd level, a deanimator can detect undead (as the spell) a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
Extra Greater Turning (Su): Starting at 3rd level, a deanimator with access to the Sun domain can perform a greater turning (the granted power of the Sun domain) a number of times equal to three plus her Charisma modifier. Deanimators without access to the Sun domain can use this ability 3 times per day.
Additional Domain: A deanimator who reaches 5th level is granted the Glory domain, and can choose from the spell lists of three domains when selecting her domain spells for the day. She can only cast one domain spell of each level (1st through 9th) per day. Deanimators without a level of cleric or who already have access to the Glory domain gain no benefit from this granted ability.
Positive Energy Burst (Su): As a standard action a reanimator who is at least 8th level can create a positive energy burst that inflicts 1d6 points of damage per class level to all undead creatures within 100 feet of the character. Undead are allowed a Reflex save (DC equal to 10 + the class level of the deanimator) to avoid half the damage. This supernatural ability uses up two turning attempts. A deanimator can not use this ability if she has fewer than two turning attempts left for the day.
Consecrated Presence (Su): A 10th level deanimator constantly exudes a holy aura within a 20 foot radius. This effect is identical the consecrate spell, except that it moves with and is always centered on the character. If a character with consecrated presence enters an area affected by a desecrate spell, the effects cancel each other. A desecrate spell cast directly on the character will suppress the consecrated presence for the duration of the spell.

Ferrix

Explorer
I think it's an interesting concept, but find the implementation sort of bland.

Some ideas:

Expend a turning attempt when you critical threaten an undead to automatically confirm and actually critical hit that undead. (Idea from the Deadgrim in Magic of Eberron, altered to be a bit more powerful since I think the original is relatively weak. It just let you roll to confirm and potentially crit, so potentially a complete waste of that turn use.)

Consecrated Presence: Emits a consecrate effect in a 20 ft. radius.

Holy Touch: Gains touch attack that deals 1d6 + 1/2 class level positive energy damage against undead only. Also, any undead striking with a natural weapon must make a Reflex save DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha mod. or take the same amount of damage. Gives it that feeling of the flesh of the divine overcoming the profane.

Holy Presence: Undead with less HD than the character must make a Will save, DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha Mod. or be effectively Shaken while in the presence of the character. Undead with less than half the HD of the character that fail the save Cower, if they make it they are still Shaken. Effective against weak undead mostly, useful against other undead. Ineffective against undead more powerful than the character. Could make it effective only against unintelligent undead to weaken it.

Remove ads