Looking for some help in solidifying an idea for an upcoming epic tier adventure

Riastlin

First Post
So although my PCs don't know it yet, they are soon to find themselves on the Dream Plane. Specifically, a portion of the plane that comprises the living nightmare of a comatose god. I've got the bulk of the adventure pretty much set up, playing with realities, powers/abilities, etc. The idea being that just about anything is possible in our dreams.

The issue is that I want the PCs to start out in their own personal worst nightmares. Naturally, each PC's idea of a nightmare is different from others, though again, this isn't really the problem. My dilemma comes from the fact that I want to make it so that the PCs have to confront their own fears/nightmares in order to escape their own personal demesne on the Plane. I don't; however, want to make it just a matter of a d20 roll. In some cases this won't be a problem either. For instance, the Defender who doesn't talk hardly ever may find himself looking at his companions on the chopping block, executioners poised to strike when the "judge/lord/whatever" turns to the defender and says "Now, convince us as to why we should spare the lives of your friends." In this instance, its not about rolling high enough on a Diplomacy check, but rather, simply pleading the case. In other words, so long as the defender makes a thoughtful plea, he succeeds (after all, in his dreams he could be quite eloquent).

With other cases though its harder to figure out short of just running an impromptu battle. Take for instance a paladin of the Raven Queen who finds his home town, including his family, all turned into undead. For cases like this, can anyone think of anything short of just running impromptu fights? The idea is to put each PC a bit outside of their comfort zone. The barbarian understands fighting, so a fight doesn't really represent a nightmare if you catch my drift.

I realize, I likely need to give you more info since its still a pretty abstract idea, but hopefully y'all can at least give me an idea of the questions that need to be asked, lol. As always, thanks in advance for any help.

BTW, although this is 4ed I didn't flag it as such because I don't think the solutions necessarily need to be mechanics based per se (see the Defender example up above).

Remove ads