looking for the right system... ideas???

Korth

First Post
i am looking to build a new RPG system and have some ideas for what i what it to do, but before i go through all that work of building a new system i wanted to call on the experience of other players to see if a system is already in place that can do most of the thing i want. than i can just mod it to my liking for my group. we have only played DnD 3.5, 4e, pathfinder, and D6 systems so i dont really know whats out there. here is what i am looking for in a system.

1. body type for base attributes
2. racial blood line abilities
3. magic/relic weapons that are sentient
4. "build your own magic" system
5. wound system
6. epic weapons
7. magic can drain the casters life
8. magic for everyone and anyone???
9. dice pool system
10. no skills linked to any attribute.
11. no skill requierments
12. combat manuvers
13. no levels for XP but buying upgrades for XP
14. tactictes that matter (not hack and slash)
15. universal setting system

SteamCraft

Explorer
Have you looked at FATE? It does a lot of what you want and it is designed to be hacked for your own needs. It is available as a pay what you want PDF from DTRPG.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
What dont you like about 3.5?

Did the OP even suggest that he didn't like 3.5. It seems to me, he has experience with d20 based games and is looking for alternatives that he's never tried, to see if a different system handles issues differently - an exploration in what's out there. Just because one might have interest in alternatives doesn't automatically mean, there is a dislike in the familiar.

By the fact that its mentioned the OP has played 3x, PF and 4e would seem to indicate he was quite comfortable with those systems. Looking for something new doesn't mean you dislike the old. How will you know if do or do not like something, if you don't give it a try?

Last edited:

Korth

First Post
Did the OP even suggest that he didn't like 3.5. It seems to me, he has experience with d20 based games and is looking for alternatives that he's never tried, to see if a different system handles issues differently - an exploration in what's out there. Just because one might have interest in alternatives doesn't automatically mean, there is a dislike in the familiar.

By the fact that its mentioned the OP has played 3x, PF and 4e would seem to indicate he was quite comfortable with those systems. Looking for something new doesn't mean you dislike the old. How will you know if do or do not like something, if you don't give it a try?

you are right. its not that I (or more to the point my group) does not like the D20 systems it more that we have found that it was all we knew and we wanted to branch out to explore strange new RPG systems and boldly try somethings different (sorry just watched an old star trek movie). anyway, when we tried the D6 system we found that the classless, skill system worked well for my group and there was a free form magic system that was really good for my players. there were less odd ball rule that were only used for one action so it was easy to pick up and play, and then we could made houserules or homebrew add-ons for it easily with out breaking it.
now we have moved past this game and are looking to try something new or even just homebrew a system of our own. that works the way we want it too and has all the parts we liked about the games we have played.

so to answer your question "What don't you like about 3.5?" my answer is nothing and everything. D20 systems did some stuff well but i also like the classless open skill system that the D6 system used. my list at the top is mostly things that 3.5 just did not do or does not do well as far as my group goes.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
While I have never actually played Savage Worlds, but I often hear that is an excellent classless (skill-based) system - so might be worth looking into.

Fairman Rogers

First Post
Yes, Savage Worlds covers a lot of these requirements.

However, I would encourage you and your players to maybe approach your explorations with a little more flexibility. Instead of the checklist, maybe approach new systems with the question, "What does this system do well?" Since you seem to be focused on fantasy, try some Fate-based fantasy, some Savage Worlds-based fantasy, some GURPS-based fantasy, and so on. And don't look for how each system fails to meet your criteria, but rather what it offers that you enjoy.

When you do that, you may find that you are looking for different gaming experiences than you thought you were. You may discover a way to approach gaming that you had not previously considered but fits very well with your style.

To help with this, by the way, I would strongly encourage you to seek out either convention games or local gaming days. This allows you to try things without much initial investment, and it allows you to sample games that are run by people enthusiastic for each given system.

Remove ads