• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looting and the State

Warren Okuma

First Post
SiderisAnon said:
What has always boggled my mind is the players I run into who not only believe that adventurers should be tax free, but actually get offended by the idea of paying taxes. I had a player basically quit the game because he felt all the nobles were out to get him (or his character).
My group sees it as bide your time, pay your taxes and scope out the new "dungeon." If the taxes are onerous. Gather information, scrying, shmoozing with the army and being very subtle.
SiderisAnon said:
I have found that the players who are most opposed to taxes are also the ones who think their character should live life without consequences.
Not in my experience.
SiderisAnon said:
In my experience, these are the same people who think that every power should do what the party says just because they're cool adventurers or something.
And later on kill armies. I run campaigns from level 1 to about 30 ish.
SiderisAnon said:
The players make it clear that NPCs should recognize them as the heroes and act accordingly. It's a logic I just don't understand and try to keep out of my game. Yes, you are heroes, but this isn't Hollywood or a video game, there are consequences.
That's how my group sees it as well. They lay low until it's time...
SiderisAnon said:
I must say that I really like the simplification of saying that part of the sell for 50% rule covers taxes. This does make things a lot easier. If I run another group of mostly new players, I will probably start by using this. Let them worry about the details later when they're more comfortable with the game.
That's how I do it.

frankthedm

First Post
Simple and easy Magic tax:
Aura / Tax
Faint 100gp
Moderate 200gp
Strong 1000gp
Overwhelming 5,000 gp

1/10th this amount for potions and scrolls.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Sejs said:
Hooray! Nothing changes - the guy backed by the army can still take your stuff.

Anarchy's one of those things that looks great on paper, doesn't work out so hot in practice. :p

Really cause it seems to me it should work out just fine. For the DM. ;)

Remove ads