D&D 5E Looting during combat wtf ?

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
If it is a low stakes fight, it doesn’t seem that weird. If it is a high stakes fight that is becoming a retreat, that may be the only way to get some of that loot.

Completely aside from when looting happens, loot division rules need to be clear.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
This is one of those things where you shouldn't be dealing with an out of game problem with in game means. And this is out of game because it's behavior at the table you feel is breaking the (probably unspoken) social contract of play. I'd highly recommend you bring it up in discussion, and ask why this is happening and state that it bothers you. If the other players don't care, you kind of have an answer as to whether or not you should be playing at this table with these players. Usually, though the reasons may be something that can be easily worked ot.
here I recall psionics and tolerance

Some of you are weak in defense, like
Intellect fortress vs ego whip
R
NoW,. I decide to simplify. Encounters type
Luck
Help
Jokes
Fight
Overriding

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Holy wow, I agree with the sentiment in the thread that it's amazing that these PCs don't get stabbed in the back, literally. As a DM, I would definitely punish that with in-game consequences: I would have some monsters sneak up to them and have a go at them with advantage. Also, I'd trap the chests (investigate, unlock, open&grab is at least three actions, if not more).

Yep, if that happened at my table, the monsters would focus their attention on the character(s) doing the looting. If a player complained, I would explain that 1) the monster knows you are distracted and an easy target; 2) if the opponents are even semi-intelligent they would be super offended by someone looting the still warm corpse of their comrade.
And others have mentioned similar.

But, Search is just an action. You don't lose your Bonus Action or Reaction or Movement when you Search. What other by-rule Actions would you ignore the rules about awareness to grant Advantage or Surprise to?

aco175

Legend
I remember in 2e having a thief that tried not to fight and was a bit of a coward. He would hide in combat and maybe loot chests and such, but always bought the party stuff with the loot like rooms and meals. I also had a thief/cleric that would help you make donations when he healed you if you were unconscious to make them yourself. These were character actions and not player actions like others are saying. It seems like your game is more a video game where coins fall out of bodies after they are killed and you can just pass over them to gain them. After several levels the thief did become more brave and start to help more. 5e has the problem that the game is designed to be 4-5 PCs and not 8ish where one could not fight and still the party could function.

aco175

Legend
1630426591166.png

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Looting during combat isn't the problem, and you never know whether the looters will find something that can help finish the fight.

The real problem exists if your party's treasury division system consists of "finders, keepers".

And - contrary to what seems like prevailing opinion here - I say that this in isolation is an in-character problem best solved in-character; either by establishing a fair treasury division system or by a few well-placed fireballs and some character turnover (or both!).

If the same players do this with their new PCs, then (and only then) it's time to take it out-of-game; because now the pattern shows it's a player issue.

And others have mentioned similar.

But, Search is just an action. You don't lose your Bonus Action or Reaction or Movement when you Search. What other by-rule Actions would you ignore the rules about awareness to grant Advantage or Surprise to?
NPCs attack the looting PC with advantage because the PC will be prone. I imagine most treasure chests, bags or other containers for loot are < 1 ft tall, so you'd have to kneel down to search them.

On the other hand... <laughs> I will never forget when the thief in our AD&D game wandered off and started looting while the party desperately fought off the monsters. (I drew this picture of it for bonus XP)

View attachment 143041

(see more fun D&D illustrations in my webcomic Tales from the Gnomish Tarot )
This is an age-old tradition. I expect it, support it, and even do it sometimes.

If the thief isn't trying to hide gems up his nose, then what kind of thief is he?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases