Lore You Should Know: Boros, Azorious, Gruul, Rakdos (Ravnica guilds)

gyor

Legend
First up the Boros and Azorious

https://youtu.be/1vOgtfH96mM

[video=youtube_share;1vOgtfH96mM]https://youtu.be/1vOgtfH96mM[/video]

What really stood out to me was the discussing of how renown would interact with the Guild System/backgrounds,

Also there will be different types of Boros Angels, such as War Leader ( General/Leader Angels like Aurelia herself), and Firemane Angels (basically enforcer fighting type Boros Angels). Oh and he kept referring to them not as Boros Angels, he kept calling them Battle Angels, which makes sense because some of these angels left the guild, to either serve the Gateless or join the Orzhov, and also perhaps to make it clear they are different from distinctly Orzhov Angels like Angels of Despair and Death Pact Angels. Also calling them Battle Angels makes them more useful outside of Ravnica in other settings. I am curious as to if the Angel of Light from the most recent set made it into this book given it's actually set before the current storyline. I hope so as I'm curious as to where the Angel of Light and Divine Visitation cards fit into the current Angel Mythology of Ravnica.

BTW we already know from else where that all the Guildmasters are statted up in the book so I don't know if a generic War Leader will be statted up as well as Aurelia, or if it's just Aurelia as the War Leader.

I am disappointed that he didn't mention the Wojeks of the Boros guild, it will be so wrong if the Wojeks are mentioned in the book, they are super important to the Setting.

As for Azorious they talk about the three columns, Judges, Arrestors, and I think Senate, Elecutors are also mentioned, Sphinxes are also mentioned as important with in the guild, including the Guildmaster of Azorious.

Surprisingly no mention of Archons or ghosts, both of which are important to the guild.

https://youtu.be/Sc2jvOqtapY

[video=youtube_share;Sc2jvOqtapY]https://youtu.be/Sc2jvOqtapY[/video]

Gruul and Rakdos. They talk about Rakdos Entertainers, Gruul, Anarchists, beliefs, races, the nature of MtG Angels and Demons and how that translates into D&D terms. They don't mention Rakdos also represents Miners and other working class concerns unfortunately.

They also discuss Guild alignment and how not all Guildmembers follow that alignment, and the Guild masters of Rakdos and Gruul.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It seems they are setting up every Guild as both the potential home for PCs, but also potential antagonists. I'm liking what they are laying down.

Ari says here that there will be an intro adventure in the book, and it will involve a Gateless Goblin gang.

gyor

Legend
I'm really looking forward to the next Ravnica LYSK, because it will be Dimir and Orzhov. Both have a lot of undead in their ranks, with very different types of Vampires for example and ghosts. Also I suspect Thrulls for Orzhov will come up, they are very common in Orzhov (only Rakdos uses Thrulls as well and in very different ways).

Also weirdly Dimir has fairies in the organization, and some Sphinxes, creatures refered to as horrors, and various types of Shapeshifters.

I am disappointed at no Vampire playable race as Vampires are very important members of both Orzhov and Dimir (I think more traditional vampires for Orzhov and Psychic Vampires species for Dimir).

Also I hope the difference between Boros style Battle Angels and Orzhov none battle Angels are discussed as Orzhov has some dissendent Boros Angels, but originally they had their own type of Angels who were a lot darker in nature, such as the Angels of Dispair which were created by Orzhov. I don't know if Deathpact Angels are Battle Angels corrupted by Orzhov and served by the Order of the Deathpact Clerics, Orzhov creation Angels (perhaps by the Deapthpact order), something else entirely.

I also hope Angels beyond the Guild created types get discussed as there do seem to be some completely unconnected to the guilds like the Angel of Serenity, Angelic Skirmisher, and Angel of the Gateless none of which look like the Guild accoitated Angels at all.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Looking into Boros Angels, I think they made War Leader Angels and Firemane Angels separate types of Battle Angels to help make sense of both the art and lore. Because Razia and Firemane Angels had four wings, but Aurelia while still a red head, only had two wings. So making them different, but related types fixes this.

gyor

Legend
It seems they are setting up every Guild as both the potential home for PCs, but also potential antagonists. I'm liking what they are laying down.

Ari says here that there will be an intro adventure in the book, and it will involve a Gateless Goblin gang.

Yeah, that is how things tend to work in the novels and general story line. Today's villain, is tomorrows savior and vis versa. Even the "Evil" guilds are good guys sometimes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm really looking forward to the next Ravnica LYSK, because it will be Dimir and Orzhov. Both have a lot of undead in their ranks, with very different types of Vampires for example and ghosts. Also I suspect Thrulls for Orzhov will come up, they are very common in Orzhov (only Rakdos uses Thrulls as well and in very different ways).

Also weirdly Dimir has fairies in the organization, and some Sphinxes, creatures refered to as horrors, and various types of Shapeshifters.

I am disappointed at no Vampire playable race as Vampires are very important members of both Orzhov and Dimir (I think more traditional vampires for Orzhov and Psychic Vampires species for Dimir).

Also I hope the difference between Boros style Battle Angels and Orzhov none battle Angels are discussed as Orzhov has some dissendent Boros Angels, but originally they had their own type of Angels who were a lot darker in nature, such as the Angels of Dispair which were created by Orzhov. I don't know if Deathpact Angels are Battle Angels corrupted by Orzhov and served by the Order of the Deathpact Clerics, Orzhov creation Angels (perhaps by the Deapthpact order), something else entirely.

I also hope Angels beyond the Guild created types get discussed as there do seem to be some completely unconnected to the guilds like the Angel of Serenity, Angelic Skirmisher, and Angel of the Gateless none of which look like the Guild accoitated Angels at all.

I'm curious to know what other segment he will do to pair with the final two guilds.

gyor

Legend
I'm curious to know what other segment he will do to pair with the final two guilds.

Perhaps a discussion of the races of Ravnica or the Gateless. Or maybe how Ravnica fits into the D&D multiverse, or how Clerics and Warlocks work in Ravnica.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That should be interesting. I hope Ravnica is also supported by future official products.

To be honest, I rather doubt it,beyond maybe references or sidebars in other books. One and done, open it up on the DMsGuild is my prediction for support. Maybe an AL series.

Remove ads