Losing my main FLGS

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Dude I feel your pain.

The game store in my town is doing the same. Thing is its not until next year and they're only asking $49,000 for the business: lock, stock and barrel. I'm just not sure if I could do it...

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Dude I feel your pain.

The game store in my town is doing the same. Thing is its not until next year and they're only asking $49,000 for the business: lock, stock and barrel. I'm just not sure if I could do it...

Not an easy business to be in. Two of my friends each own the local comic/game stores in my town and it ain't easy.

Brick and mortar game shops seem doomed, much like used book stores. Online sales are really tough competition. My current gaming group started in 2002 in our local FLGS, whose owner was one of my players. The store died a painful death. We had hoped that eBay would save it, but is just slowed the process.

Bagpuss

Legend
Brick and mortar game shops seem doomed, much like used book stores. Online sales are really tough competition. My current gaming group started in 2002 in our local FLGS, whose owner was one of my players. The store died a painful death. We had hoped that eBay would save it, but is just slowed the process.

Weird as we are seeing more and more open over here. Although they tend to work more as play spaces, rather than stores. You either pay a table fee or via the overpriced food/coffee they serve. Also Magic tournament and the like help keep the businesses going.

Weird as we are seeing more and more open over here. Although they tend to work more as play spaces, rather than stores. You either pay a table fee or via the overpriced food/coffee they serve. Also Magic tournament and the like help keep the businesses going.

Good news for you. What's the population size of your town?

Bagpuss

Legend
Well the are of the UK I live in is called "The Wirral" it has a population of 323,235. It has three gaming shops, one is a part of the Geek Retreat chain. Free tables over priced food and drink. One is a wargame store, you can pay an annual subscription to be part of the club to use the tables upstairs. One is a tiny little place that seems to survive mainly on magic tournament.

But then the nearby cities of Chester (about 20 mins by car has a store), and Liverpool (even closer but a toll to use the tunnel to get there) has at least two I know of; both also have a Games Workshop. Next nearest city is Manchester that has at least one, but it is 40 mins drive and probably another 20 to find a parking space.

Well the are of the UK I live in is called "The Wirral" it has a population of 323,235. It has three gaming shops, one is a part of the Geek Retreat chain. Free tables over priced food and drink. One is a wargame store, you can pay an annual subscription to be part of the club to use the tables upstairs. One is a tiny little place that seems to survive mainly on magic tournament.

But then the nearby cities of Chester (about 20 mins by car has a store), and Liverpool (even closer but a toll to use the tunnel to get there) has at least two I know of; both also have a Games Workshop. Next nearest city is Manchester that has at least one, but it is 40 mins drive and probably another 20 to find a parking space.

Yeah, a much higher population density.

aramis erak

Legend
In a small irony, the building housing Pegasus Games in Corvallis, Oregon, is up for sale... No relationship, I'm sure... especially since it's under 20 years old... and it's the ULGS... (unfriendly local game store.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases