LOST CITADEL 5E RPG Coming From Green Ronin

The Lost Citadel is a shared world horror setting. Launched in 2012, it was based on an idea of Jaym Gates, CA Suleiman and Ari Marmell, and features various branches - music, stories, art, and, now, a tabletop roleplaying game. Green Ronin will be producing the game, which will be a D&D 5th Edition game, and is slated for Winter 2018. The dark fantasy setting is based in Zileksa, "a land ravaged by death and undeath, where all that’s left of civilization has gathered behind the walls of the last remaining city of the living." Green Ronin is, of course, known for the tabletop RPGs Mutants & Masterminds, A Song of Ice and Fire, Blue Rose, Dragon Age, and for producing the 5E adventure Out of the Abyss for WotC. [Edit - I accidentally missed one of the creators from the paragraph above; apologies to Jaym Gates!]

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 11.17.10.png

Here's the full announcement:

SEATTLE, WA (01/24/17): Green Ronin Publishing announced today that it has signed a licensing agreement to release a tabletop roleplaying game sourcebook based on The Lost Citadel, a transmedia shared world. The dark fantasy RPG will draw players into the setting of Zileksa, a land ravaged by death and undeath, where all that’s left of civilization has gathered behind the walls of the last remaining city of the living. The announcement was made by Chris Pramas, president of Green Ronin, and C.A. Suleiman, editor of The Lost Citadel.

“We are eager to bring a new dark fantasy setting to roleplayers and to offer Fifth Edition gamers a world they haven’t seen before,” said Green Ronin President Chris Pramas, “Lost Citadel is a perfect follow up to our work on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Dragon Age.”

“I came to know The Lost Citadel as a backer of the fiction anthology,” added Green Ronin General Manager Nicole Lindroos. “As soon as I saw it I recognized the potential inherent in the setting. I couldn’t be more pleased not only to bring Lost Citadel to roleplaying, but to have C.A. Suleiman himself on board as developer.”

“Since the Lost Citadel project went live, people have been asking about when it would come to gaming, and I’m excited to tell them that the moment has arrived,” said Suleiman. “As both a dark fantasy setting and a concept that’s expressly inclusive of women, I can’t think of a better fit for The Lost Citadel than Green Ronin, publisher of A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying and the Blue Rose roleplaying game. If their track record is any indicator, this could be the start of something big.”

Work is now underway on the first book, Lost Citadel Roleplaying, which introduces the setting and establishes its core rules and themes. It is scheduled for release in Winter 2018. All books in the series will use the Fifth Edition rules, but plans are in the works to offer fans of other popular RPG systems the means to play Lost Citadel games using those systems, too.
Save
Save
SaveSave
SaveSave

Nikchick

Explorer
Hi all, I just wanted to pop in and make a correction to Morrus's summary of the press release above. Although Russ credits Ari and CA with the creation of the Lost Citadel, the third contributor to the creation of the property, Jaym Gates, went unmentioned.

Jaym is an originator along with Ari and CA. She contributed to the Tales of the Lost Citadel fiction anthology and I have every hope that her schedule will allow her to contribute to the RPG project as well. We were very fortunate to have her contributions to our Blue Rose setting this year! She is every bit the professional CA and Ari are and should not have been overlooked in the announcement.

I see Nicole beat me to it, but I was just coming to say much the same. (I had only skimmed the actual article when I first commented, since I had just read the official GR release, and thus hadn't spotted the omission.)

Jaym may not have the name recognition that CA or I do, but she was absolutely instrumental in the initial development of the Lost Citadel project, and it was the three of us together who put the writer's bible together for all the other contributors. I can honestly say that the setting and project wouldn't be nearly as cool as they are, or possibly even exist at all, without her input and contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enkill

First Post
Hey, you know, Morrus, it would be nice if you actually mentioned Jaym Gates in that announcement instead of scrubbing her from it.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Hey, you know, Morrus, it would be nice if you actually mentioned Jaym Gates in that announcement instead of scrubbing her from it.

The oversight has already been mentioned in the two previous posts with much more tact, and I am sure it will addressed. It's unfair to assume ill intent.

CAS

First Post
I'm a bit late to the party (because me), but I just wanted to second this.

I don't ascribe any negative motivation to the OP, but Nicole and Ari are right. Jaym's been on board since the beginning, and every time we do or sign something as "The Lost Citadel team," she's a part of that.

And yep, she'll be working on the LCRPG, too, and I'm thrilled to have her.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hi all, I just wanted to pop in and make a correction to Morrus's summary of the press release above. Although Russ credits Ari and CA with the creation of the Lost Citadel, the third contributor to the creation of the property, Jaym Gates, went unmentioned.

Jaym is an originator along with Ari and CA. She contributed to the Tales of the Lost Citadel fiction anthology and I have every hope that her schedule will allow her to contribute to the RPG project as well. We were very fortunate to have her contributions to our Blue Rose setting this year! She is every bit the professional CA and Ari are and should not have been overlooked in the announcement.

Apologies Nicole (and more especially Jaym!) - I usually snip out the "About X" bits of press releases, if I post them as-is, and Googled this site to find out about The Lost Citadel:

http://www.thelostcitadel.com

It only mentioned the two of them. I completely failed to notice Jaym's name in the PR. My apologies! I failed my reading comprehension. I've added Jaym's name up there where it should be.

[Edit - that site appears to have been updated with Jaym's name in its proper place, too, now. All is as it should be!]

Nikchick

Explorer
Apologies Nicole (and Jaym!) - I usually snip out the "About X" bits of press releases, if I post them as-is, and Googled this site to find out about The Lost Citadel:

http://www.thelostcitadel.com

It only mentioned the two of them. I completely failed to notice Jaym's name in the PR. My apologies! I failed my reading comprehension. I've added Jaym's name up there where it should be.

Thanks for the correction, Russ!

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
Is the Tales of the Lost Citadel fiction anthology going to be made available to the general public who missed the Kickstarter? I just looked for an eBook of it but had no luck finding it.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases