Lost City of Barakus, anyone has it?

Zontag

First Post
I'm trying to find more info on the Lost City of Barakus by Necromancer games but have found no reviews online. Anyone has this title? If so is it good?

pogre

Legend
I got it and I really like it.

1st - It is easily insertable into an existing campaign. A Large City called Endhome (pop 35,000) is given a detailed treatment and three very solid adventures take place in the city itself. I am not using the Endhome directly, but I am lifting the adventures and some of the locations for my new campaign.

2nd - The wilderness area around Endhome is detailed. Lots of great side trek adventures and lairs here. Allows the PCs to really explore and find their own adventures - nothing forced.

3rd - The last half of this sizeable tome is taken up with a mega dungeon "The Lost City of Barakus" - This area can be explored piecemeal and the PCs are likely to slowly discover how massive this dungeon is only after repeated forays.

This book gives you a whole lot of adventure!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A few nitpicks:

The maps are useable, but mediocre. The pull out map of the City of Endhome is particularly disappointing.

Some will be disappointed by the large font used - it makes it easier to read, but they could have packed more in here.

No web support yet. Once the hallmark of Necromancer, they have fallen behind on a lot of their releases.

They suggest a half experience rule. Not for me - I like fast level progression and so I will have to ramp up some of the later encounters. However, it is in line with their 1st edition feel - so this is a matter of taste not a real criticism.

Check the binding carefully, some have had problems - mine is holding up fine.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is Necromancer's best release to date. Very useful on a lot of levels and if you are starting a low level campaign I think this will be an excellent purchase for you.

Napftor

Explorer
pogre said:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A few nitpicks:

The maps are useable, but mediocre. The pull out map of the City of Endhome is particularly disappointing.

I just picked this up today. It looks good (have not yet read the thing cover to cover of course). But I have to disagree with pogre about the maps. Ed Bourelle is ENnie nominated for good reason--his maps are fantastic. The maps in Barakus and the pull out of Endhome are great. I plan on lifting them as needed to be dropped into my Realms campaign. Very useful and legible. I nearly leapt from my chair with joy when I found the pull-out town map at the back.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It's surprising that there are no reviews. I don't have all that much interest in this book, but thought about buying it just so I could review it. I have dozens, if not hundreds of Mr. T jokes that I'm dying to use.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I haven't reviewed it because I don't review products I a)Don't have or b)Buy on my own. I figure that companies send me material and sometimes I get so much that I get backlogged. Why would I punish them even further by reviewing something I bought? I've done a few though because a)It was a 5 or b)It was a 2.

dsfriii

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
I haven't reviewed it because I don't review products I a)Don't have or b)Buy on my own. I figure that companies send me material and sometimes I get so much that I get backlogged. Why would I punish them even further by reviewing something I bought? I've done a few though because a)It was a 5 or b)It was a 2.

One reason I take reviews with a grain of salt...

JoeGKushner

First Post
And so you should.

I've been kicked off a few lists because a product got a 3 or a 4 and the authors were outraged that it wasn't a 5 but hey, read the reviews and comment on 'em.

I've even done somethings wrong on the reviews. I remember once I was using AEG's Monsters and one of the variant races of orcs there that get a bonus to Con and I'd used them for so long, I thought that the core orc from the Monster Manual had one, so when Wrath and Rage came out with no orc racial traits and I mentioned that, people were like "Uh, dude, what are you talking about."

I've caught myself a few times, especially when the authors understood 3.5 better than I did. I remember a standard weapon (parrying dagger I think) that gives a bonus to sunder and I was completely using the way sunder used to work, thinking that this author was mixed up and was thinking about disarm.

Ah, the glories of being an unpaid reviewer are many I tell you! :D

Remove ads