D&D 5E Lost Mines of Phandelver: Straight to Cragmaw Castle?

Nemio

First Post
The adventure definitely HINTS that it should be done this way. It says multiple times that the PCs will be in town searching for the location of Cragmaw Castle. When I read it the first time, it confused me...why would they be in town looking for the location of the castle when the goblins in the cave know where it is and they likely got that information from them? It wasn't until then that I reexamined the section on what the goblins know and I realized that it was meant to be vague on purpose. They could tell the PCs approximately where it was but they might wander a forest that size for days or even weeks without knowing its exact location.

Which is why the adventure seems to point to the logical conclusion that the PCs go to town to look for a guide who knows the exact location of the castle. Which no one does except for the Hobgoblins in the Redbrand Hideout or the Druid who is in in Thundertree. It's likely that the Hobgoblins die or at least refuse to tell the location. Which just means they'll skip Thundertree. The Goblin(Droop) who is with the Hobgoblins only remembers vague direction the same as the Goblins from the cave. Asking around town just gets you pointed toward the Druid by a couple of people.

So, the logical progression of the adventure is: Cave>Find out they need to go to the castle but only find out vague directions>Phandalin>Search for a guide who knows the area well enough to find the exact location of the castle>Get caught up with the Redbrands whether they want to or not as the Redbrands will attack them>Redbrand Hideout>Go on side quests for people in town who beg them to help OR Go to Thundertree to find the Druid who can guide them(or because one of the premade characters has a deathwish and wants to kill the dragon) OR Go to Cragmaw Castle (Any or all of the 3 in any order they want)>Wave Echo Cave

I don't have the DM booklet here before me but someone knows/suggests that capturing a Goblin patrol in the forest area might give further information about where the Castle is located.
(Gundren and/or Droop?)

Here's what I will do.
The Goblin in the Redbrand Hideout doesn't know where the castle is but tells them about the patrols.
If my party decides looking for one then I will use the Tracking rules in the DMG to see how fast they can locate one.

If they approach with speed they might catch the patrol before it reaches the castle at night.
A captured Goblin can give them the correct location.

If they approach with stealth they will not close the distance but find the castle without an encounter.
I'm just wondering if I should then add the patrol numbers to the ones already in the castle.
That might make it even more difficult.

Then again if my party is smart they will realize that patrols leave at dawn and return at night.
The Goblin could also tell them he heard that's how they do it.
Yes, I might play it like that :)

EightPackKilla

First Post
I am surprised by the amount of people who go take care of the Redbrands stuff and etc.

Our party of 4 lvl 2 people, decided that since the goblins were going to eat Sildar, Sildar’s admission, that Gundrin as a hostage, should be prioritized over helping out with the Redbrands, or clearing out rats from the brewery basement, etc.

Them upon getting there the paladin drags the wizard with him through the front gate as the ranger and cleric snuck in successfully through the locked door along the southern wall.

Paladin and Wizard have taken out 3 goblins from main gate area, and after walking briefly i side Paladin, with a torch drawn because its dark, is pincered by 3 goblins. Wizard standing outside. Paladin at 16/20 hp. 9 points left in lay hands, has a healing potion. Wizard has a healing potion. Full health. Pathetic hp (maybe 12-13).

ranger and cleric at full. Ranger 20/20 cleric 26/26. All lvl 2. Reason went down as is. Paladin is low int. So does stupid stuff until he learns better. Ranger is an antagonistic showoff. So liked the paladin’s idiot plan. Wizard and Cleric failed saves vs the persuasion of Paladin and Ranger.

Cleric and ranger are in hallway by the curtain just inside of the locked door. Hear noises and commotions but otherwise dunno whats going on.

Paladin and wizard botched stealths, epic failed in not making noise, and at this point the Paladin may as well do a Thunderous Smite to create a s-ton of boise fall back to the main entrance and see if he can’t just pick them off until the ranger and cleric show up

Last edited:

Remove ads