• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LotR Based on Beowulf!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Taken from SciFi wire...

New Tolkien Book Found

A new, previously unpublished book by Lord of the Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien was discovered by accident in a box at the Bodleian Library in Oxford, England, the News.com.au Web site reported. The yellowing 2,000-page handwritten manuscript contains Tolkien's translation and appraisal of the epic Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf, which is thought to have inspired The Lord of the Rings, the news site reported.

Michael Drout, an assistant professor of English at Wheaton College in Norton, Mass., found the Tolkien material by accident in a box of papers while researching Anglo-Saxon scholarship at the Bodleian, the news site reported. Tolkien's translation of Beowulf and his line-by-line interpretation of its meaning will be published next summer.

-----------------------------

Just tought it was interesting, now all those that say D&D is based on Tolkin can now say it was based on Beowulf! :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
There isn't a lot of Anglo-Saxon myth, stories, and folkores, are there?

I guess that is the reason why Tolkien is motivated to write Middle-Earth literature.

Fyrie

Explorer
The hobbit was also. The whole encounter with smaug and the bit leading up to it (secret door etc..) is borrowed heavily from the end chunk of Beowulf.

Last edited:

Agback

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
There isn't a lot of Anglo-Saxon myth, stories, and folkores, are there?

I guess that is the reason why Tolkien is motivated to write Middle-Earth literature.

No need to guess: Tolkien explicitly said so.

Regards,

Agback

Heh... Michael Drout was my English professor at Wheaton college during my stay there. He's a really great guy, and one helluva Tolkien scholar.

In fact, my Tokien-themed independent study with him ended up spiraling into Drout's Wheaton Sponsored 'Tolkien Studies' research group.

Good stuff.

-F

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads