• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lots of undead-no clerics too tough?

Aust Diamondew

First Post
The last game I ran had alot of undead. No one played a cleric or a paladin (though later on a player took a level of cleric for RPing reasons). They did fine. They had a bard in the party for about 3/4s of the campaign, he did most of the healing and used bardic knowledge quite a bit.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I think it's more of a question of the undead not being quite so weak anymore than them suddenly being extremely difficult. I've seen a lot of undead get prematurely turned to corpse dust because it's quite easy for a cleric who chooses the right feats (and magic items, PrC's, etc) to increase his turning powers substantially - often to the point where you have to throw a disproportionately strong undead monster at the party to not have it immediately bite said dust.

For an example of what I mean, check out the Liches are my Bitches Smackdown.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
FYI, the 3E team set up undead CRs so that they're an appropriate challenge for a party without a cleric, but if you have a cleric it's easier, so you say, "Phew! Good thing we had a cleric with us!" So other than dealing with the aftermath of undead attacks, a cleric-free party should be able to handle frequent undead encounters despite the lack of turning.

Remove ads