Lots of undead-no clerics too tough?

I'm running an Oriental adventure and One of my plot lines may involve lots of undead. However there's no turning in OA would this increase the difficulty levels?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Undead are immune to crits and sneak attack, but they get few HP for their CR (thanks to no Con score).

Do your PCs have easy access to fire and [fire] spells?

-- N

Wombat

First Post
I run a game drawing heavily on AU -- no clerics, no turning at all

I also use a fair amount of undead against the party

So far it has worked pretty well; in some cases they have to be trickier, rather than simply relying on the Turn Undead ability, but it all works out :)

Gizzard

First Post
Obviously, having no turning is going to make the undead quite a bit more difficult.

I've watched a mid-level group with no cleric go up against the incorporeal undead and get roughed up in a way that a cleric party would not have. I suspect this applies more at the low end of the power scale (levels 1-6) than the high end (level 15+), simply because high level characters have a lot of powerful answers. Particularly at very low levels turning can be a big boost.

Thanee

First Post
Having no Restoration is the only real hindrance, and a rather big one.

If you encounter attribute and level drains all the time, that's going to hurt big time.

OTOH, having Restoration available almost completely counters the threat of these attacks, which makes them rather harmless.

Bye
Thanee

Gort

Explorer
Thanee said:
But they have d12 HD, that's like d8+2 (or 14 Con). ;)

Bye
Thanee

Yeah, but it's the big mother undead that really feel the - con, cause otherwise they'd have a huge bonus on top of their normal con. It's not so bad for medium sized ones.

xazil

Explorer
One thing I have noted, if you use the Knowledge skills to find out PC information on monsters, the lack of Knowledge:Religion can hurt if you don't know the powers and weaknesses of an undead you are fighting. As the half the group found out when three of us flubbed saving throws versus bodaks in one round.

Remove ads