• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Love DMing, hate doing loot

jbear

First Post
There is a program that generates random treasure.

I don't know where I found it but it's free.

I'm sure a google search for '4e random treasure generator' will turn something up

But I don't know if that is the kind of solution you are looking for.

ForceUser

Explorer
Let the Players manage themselves:

That's what my buddy's doing. My new campaign is set in a sort of fantasy version of a post-apocalyptic wasteland, which means no economy, no use for coinage at all, no Magic Emporiums, and few opportunities to upgrade gear. So in addition to being fed up with tracking loot, I wanted to look into what people thought of inherent bonuses from DMG2 because of the setting. I do appreciate all the suggestions on how to manage loot, but I don't think I'll be doing a lot of that.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
That's what my buddy's doing. My new campaign is set in a sort of fantasy version of a post-apocalyptic wasteland, which means no economy, no use for coinage at all, no Magic Emporiums, and few opportunities to upgrade gear. So in addition to being fed up with tracking loot, I wanted to look into what people thought of inherent bonuses from DMG2 because of the setting. I do appreciate all the suggestions on how to manage loot, but I don't think I'll be doing a lot of that.

Before DMG2 was released, I played in a game that had inherent bonuses house-ruled in, and it worked okay. It does have some weird effects on magic weapon and implement pricing, but if people don't start with magic gear and there's no buying or crafting such gear, that's not an issue.

MrMyth

First Post
I'm thinking about going with inherent bonuses instead of the paper doll. I was wondering if anyone's done that, and what the result has been. Any other comments are welcome as well.

I'm thinking of using something similar to the inherent bonuses in an upcoming game, and it definitely sounds like the system for you. The players get the raw numbers to stay awesome. You can hand out various coin for them to buy stuff that really appeals to them. But more importantly, when items appear, you can make sure they are awesome and memorable. Sounds like a win all around.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads