Love for Hackmaster?

How do you fell about the newest edition of Hackmaster?

• Love it! Let the hacking begin!

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Like it, but have some issues with it.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Neutral. I don't have an opinion either way.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Dislike it, but has some merits.

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Hate it! Worst thing since fruit cake!

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 9 14.1%

DM Howard

Explorer
I picked up the latest edition of Hackmaster in PDF form way back in October of last year and only recently got around to giving it a thorough look. I like what I'm seeing and the overall philosophy of the system ("True heroism comes from overcoming the odds and risking life and limb in a perilous situation not the faux valor that comes from defeating supervillains when the chance of failure is slim or none.") clicks with me. I'm really enjoying the way combat works, and character creation as well. I can certainly see how someone might now care for it, but I'm surprised I don't see it talked about very often across the internet besides the official Hackmaster forums. So here is a poll about your stance towards Hackmaster, love it or hate it (or somewhere in between). Before anyone asks, I actually find fruit cake to be OK, just clarifying before the Fruit Cake Police come arrest me. :cool:

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
It's a decent system. The books are beautiful. I played a short campaign using the rules back when it was just Hackmaster Basic. I'm just not big on crunchy systems and don't like highly detailed skill rules. The count up mechanic is brilliant though.

DM Howard

Explorer
It's a decent system. The books are beautiful. I played a short campaign using the rules back when it was just Hackmaster Basic. I'm just not big on crunchy systems and don't like highly detailed skill rules. The count up mechanic is brilliant though.

Yes, I would definitely categorize Hackmaster as a crunchier system than a lot of other RPGs, so for those wanting a more rules-light game I can certainly see why Hackmaster doesn't appeal. I really enjoy the count-up mechanic and I think my group will love it once they get used to it.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I answered Dislike It - Has Some Merits because, while I do appreciate a lot about it and its predecessor, I would never actually run it or play it. But both editions are enjoyable reads and I can certainly understand why both editions would have their fans.

Remathilis

Legend
While I absolutely adored the original Hackmaster (the 1e/2e hybrid with funny stuff sprinkled in) I don't really have an opinion on the newer one. Its very much like DCC the RPG; a funny piss-take on D&D tropes that I really couldn't take seriously enough to actually play. (Sad, since both wrote some good 3e modules).

Henry

Autoexreginated
Neutral opinion - i have a copy, but really havent dug into it very deeply. I miss that they dropped the parody elements, but then again i never got to play that version, either -- no local interest.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm just not big on crunchy systems and don't like highly detailed skill rules. The count up mechanic is brilliant though.
I agree with all of this.

I have an old friend who loves Hackmaster. I played in his original campaign ten years ago and am playing twice a month in his latest HM campaign.

It's fun, but too crunchy for me.

the Jester

Legend
Other.

I have not read the current edition of HM, but I love it despite that. I love it for its attitude, for its unrepentant celebration of RBDMing and for its "funnel" system of character creation (or whatever it's called- make a ton of pcs, throw them in a dungeon and play the survivors, that thing).

However, though I'd love to play it sometime, I can't see ever getting into it because of the funny dice.... assuming I'm not misremembering, HM's newest edition uses specific dice with funny symbols on them. I don't like that in my RPGs; my dice collection, which my whole table draws on, is far too vast for anyone to easily find a specific die.

Yeah, yeah, keep them separate and all that other easy-solution-I'll-never-actually-use... this is also a big strike against more recent Warhammer Fantasy RP in my book. I'll stick to the edition I already have on that one, thanks.

techno

Explorer
Other.

I have not read the current edition of HM, but I love it despite that. I love it for its attitude, for its unrepentant celebration of RBDMing and for its "funnel" system of character creation (or whatever it's called- make a ton of pcs, throw them in a dungeon and play the survivors, that thing).

However, though I'd love to play it sometime, I can't see ever getting into it because of the funny dice.... assuming I'm not misremembering, HM's newest edition uses specific dice with funny symbols on them. I don't like that in my RPGs; my dice collection, which my whole table draws on, is far too vast for anyone to easily find a specific die.

Yeah, yeah, keep them separate and all that other easy-solution-I'll-never-actually-use... this is also a big strike against more recent Warhammer Fantasy RP in my book. I'll stick to the edition I already have on that one, thanks.

I believe you are thinking about the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases