Love for Hackmaster?

How do you fell about the newest edition of Hackmaster?

• Love it! Let the hacking begin!

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Like it, but have some issues with it.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Neutral. I don't have an opinion either way.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Dislike it, but has some merits.

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Hate it! Worst thing since fruit cake!

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 9 14.1%

Hackmaster is one of those games I would happily play, but would never DM, and that's true for all the editions I've seen of it. It just seems far too much like hard work, without a reward that's significantly better or even significantly different to a bunch of other, easier-to-run systems.

Scorpio616

First Post
Likewise, a 'rule' stating "Combat Choice A gives result B" is the baseline 'rule'. Should it always be that way? Of course not!
In a sanely designed rule-set, combat choice A should always be using the same mechanics rather than Friend Computer CHANGING the rules mechanics because an Infrared-Level Clone is trying to figure out the ruleset.
For the big weapon/break off/free attack/reduce time thing...would that work in "real life" if it were actually happening? Once everyone at the table thinks about it...no.
Says you, not only do the rules of a game shape the reality of all the characters, but IRL, using a large weapon would involve using the reach it gives you to zone an opponent. If my foes don't stay on me, why shouldn't I regain my footing or however the delay from "speed factor" is described 'in game'. Since removing one's last foe from a combat reset the peed factor delay, even if your allies where fighting others nearby that you were not involved with Free HMb p143, why shouldn't removing oneself from a combat do the same, provided foes don't follow.
The end result is he would have to actually 'break off' combat. If the big-sword-guy turns and flees as far away as he can...then he had broken off combat and attacking is moot because he's nowhere near combat.
I think you are just making stuff up now. The Free HMb p143 shows how close concurrent combats can be, with Justina dropping an orc at Tick 11, moving her 10' at Tick 12 and striking a goblin others were previously fighting at tick 13 .
Stepping away won't end the engagement with the enemy. You can use Fighting Withdrawal or Flee, but the enemy can follow you and attack. Unless somebody keeps him from doing so, you have to be very lucky to not get hit with a d10 defense roll.
It was fighting withdraw, and the issue was if the foe did not want to follow, lets say, into the midst of my other allies who were hold a nicely defensible position. If my foes don't stay on me, why shouldn't I regain my stance / footing or however the delay from "speed factor" is described 'in game'.

Also see rule one:

RULE ONE: In HackMaster, any rule ambiguity related to character creation and PC powers is construed against the player character...
Pretty sure weapon use, speed factor and movement in combat are not "character creation and PC powers". Everybody can use a greatsword and how initiative works will be the same whether its a PC with a greatsword zoning a goblin by the threat of other allies or a Fire Giant zoning PCs with the threat of a enormous fire.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

In a sanely designed rule-set, combat choice A should always be using the same mechanics rather than Friend Computer CHANGING the rules mechanics because an Infrared-Level Clone is trying to figure out the ruleset.

Agree...for the majority of the combat situations in play. However, sometimes it doesn't make sense and in those cases the DM should do his job and adjudicate a solution based on what he/she feels is best. In short, if a "loophole" is found in the system wherein using that loophole is a more or less constant thing every time combat comes up, it probably needs to be fixed or otherwise 'house ruled'. One of the major drawbacks for using a big weapon in the game is it's speed. Using some 'loophole' to get around that drawback, where that loophole can be used all the time...well, to me, that sounds like a prime candidate for "needs fixin'".

... why shouldn't removing oneself from a combat do the same, provided foes don't follow.

Because something that happens by chance (killing a foe and moving up to another engaged with someone else) should not have the same potential in-game mechanical advantage as doing something by choice. Sara, moving up to engage with someone else's foe is not something she can just "decide" is the equivalent to disengaging. She removed her foe from combat by chance, not choice. Her downed foe is not following her, so she has disengaged from him...not by choice, by chance.

I think you are just making stuff up now. The Free HMb p143 shows how close concurrent combats can be, with Justina dropping an orc at Tick 11, moving her 10' at Tick 12 and striking a goblin others were previously fighting at tick 13 .
It was fighting withdraw, and the issue was if the foe did not want to follow, lets say, into the midst of my other allies who were hold a nicely defensible position. If my foes don't stay on me, why shouldn't I regain my stance / footing or however the delay from "speed factor" is described 'in game'.

I agree with your assessment on if a foe doesn't want to follow you into another combat. At that point, you are "disengaged from combat". However, it was not _your choice_ to disengage...it was your foes. That is a BIG difference, IMO. Just saying "I disengage from my foe, move 10' over to Phil, and attack his foe" doesn't mean you are disengaging. You are not "disengaging" from combat...you are simply choosing a different foe to attack. Besides, if your foe did follow you, you would never be disengaging, and your time would not 'reset'.

I honestly think we are arguing semantics at this point. My contention is that just "saying" some key-word effect in game isn't the same as actually having that key-word effect affect something.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Last edited:

GeorgeFields

Explorer
As with any system, not everyone will like it; especially those that prefer rules-light RPGs.

For me, I can't see myself running any other system now. I was ready to give up RPGs until HackMaster Basic was released back in 2009. It renewed my love for gaming, and I felt like I was 10 years old again being introduced to D&D back in '79/'80.

The count up system has me so hooked that I feel deflated playing RPGs with combat rounds.
The opposed attack vs defense roll is so much better than 'hit the AC' for me.

As with any game, not everything is perfect; but those are fairly minor for me.

Some of the things other have mentioned and dislike are some of the things that I love about it: different cleric class for each of the Kalamar gods is one example.

Remove ads