D&D 5E Low CRs and "Boring" Monsters: Ogre

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
It more or less does…for players. For monsters they kneecapped the ability to do stuff like that on the fly, and anything even remotely resembling a ‘taunt’ effect against players has almost always been rejected, doubly so for nonmagical ones.
Not relevant to the present discussion but incorrect. Effects that preclude player agency or cause PCs/NPCs to act in unrealistic ways are objected to. There are any number of ways to implement taunt effects without these.

I suspect ‘fiddly’ and ‘inconsistent’ are editorials, since most of the monster abilities were just riders, AoEs, or Save Ends effects, none of which are what I would call fiddly, especially since 2 of those are present in 5e as well. You’re also going to have to elaborate on what action types were unavailable to everyone, since you can definitely make basic attacks, bull rush, grapple, and aid another without needing class support to do so.
And again, wrong.

Fiddly - awkward or difficult to handle because of many small parts or details.

Some 4e special ability examples:
Yuan-ti Malison Sharp-Eye -
Code:
Longbow (Standard; at-will) <> poison, weapon.  Range 20/40; +18 vs AC; 1d10+6 damage, and the yuan-ti malison sharp-eye makes a secondary attack against the same target.  Secondary attack: +16 to vs Fortitude; ongoing 5 poison damage, and the target is dazed (save ends both).
Code:
 Chameleon Defense: Concealment against attacks that originate more than 3 squares away
Yuan-ti Malison Incanter -
Code:
Deflect Attack (Recharge 5-6): Transfers attack's damage and effects to an adjacent ally
Code:
Mindwarp (Standard, at-will)<> psychic: Ranged 20; +20 vs AC; 2d6+7 psychic damage and the target is dazed (save ends)
Code:
Poisoned Domination (Standard; recharges when first bloodied) <> charm: Ranged 5; affects a creature taking ongoing poison damage; +20 vs Will; the target is dominated until the end of the incanter's next turn.  Aftereffect: the target is dazed (save ends).
This is not even a full listing of the special abilities from two related monsters. In short: Effect types varied, ranges varied, attack bonuses varied, damage types varied, defenses varied, exceptions varied. Frequently within the same stat block. None had any consistent logical basis. It was frequently prohibitive to keep track of different abilities in mixed encounter groups without wasting valuable play time flipping back and forth between listings. Let alone if you had multiple monster species types in the same encounter (instead of variations on a single monster type, which at least would be lumped together). Adverse conditional effects were often so anemic as to be barely worth keeping track of and rarely lasted more than a round or two. This isn't an issue that was unique to 4e (cf Pathfinder), but 4e had a propensity for a bazillion unique character and monster abilities instead of standardized procedures for attacks, spell-like effects, and maneuvers.

You’re also going to have to elaborate on what action types were unavailable to everyone, since you can definitely make basic attacks, bull rush, grapple, and aid another without needing class support to do so.

pemerton said:
I'm sorry that you had bad experience with 4e, but what you describe doesn't fit my experience at all - so far from "squelching an non-hit things action", 4e had the most mechanically robust set of improvisation guidleines (p 42) and non-combat resolution guidelines (skill challenges) of any edition of D&D.
I say squelch because maneuvers in 4e were implemented in a manner so as to render them worthless. Example: Two combatants are fighting atop a parapet. Combatant A decides to try and throw combatant B off the edge. In 5e this is simple - grapple check and done. In 4e this is technically impossible without some of class or monster-specific power because grappling could only pull an enemy behind the grappler. Even houseruling a grapple attempt to work in 4e required forgoing not one but two entire rounds worth of attacks (one to initiate the grapple and a second to move the enemy) with two chances to fail, making it a nonviable option.

pemerton said:
Whereas the mechanics tend to be prety central to resolving a whole lot of actions at the table. For instance, flavour text saying that ogres are notorious wrestlers is going to fall a bit flat if they don't get to add the Prof bonus to checks to grapple or shove. Various posters upthread (I think one was @Shadowdweller00 - yep, post 32) have suggested giving the ogre fetid breath that stuns or otherwise debuffs the PCs - and those suggestions all involved mechanical expression.

And your own example of an ogre being able to inflict the frightened or poisoned condition by breathing on its enemies and succeeding at an opposed skill check does not count as a generic tactic the system should model, does it? It's not as if the PC fighter can eat a clove or two of garlic and then make this sort of debuff attack vs a group of kobolds (is it?). And what stat/skill would the PC use? not Intimidate, presumably, as (i) they're not trying to intimidate the ogre, and (ii) that would suck for fighters, who should be the best at resisting this: it looks like it should be resolved like any other AoE debuff in 5e - the ogre sets a DC and the PCs have to make CON saves.
I think you miss my point. A generic tactic is precisely how I'd personally run this. And yes, I'd let players attempt this too if there was a solid in-game and in-character basis: Not from simply eating a clove of garlic, unless the PC is trying to affect a vampire maybe, but if say a character had established a propensity for terrible hygiene and/or eating rotting foodstuffs and tried to use the tactic against an enemy that cared about cleanliness I'd certainly consider it. (Barbarian living in squalor vs Drow, for example).

Saelorn said:
Both of your examples are strictly less effective than simply attacking with a club. An ogre who tried either of those would be more likely to die without dealing any damage, compared to a basic ogre who stands a good shot of dropping one or two PCs. (Unless the ogre uses a grapple check to pick up a PC and then hurls them off a cliff, which puts it into the save-or-die category.)
Nothing personal, guy, but that's a mathematically illiterate statement. They're circumstantial, sure. But in general - making an enemy prone is worth the cost of an action if two or more allies with more than half equivalent offense can attack (with advantage from the prone condition) before the enemy can stand up. Inflicting the frightened condition or poisoned condition isn't effective at dealing damage, but if they prolong the fight for more than one attacks by allies...

More to the point though, as Sacrosanct went into, DPR isn't the defining characteristic of a good or interesting fight. Just so long the enemy STILL provides a reasonable challenge for its CR with alternate tactics.

Last edited:

Rhenny

Adventurer
I say squelch because maneuvers in 4e were implemented in a manner so as to render them worthless. Example: Two combatants are fighting atop a parapet. Combatant A decides to try and throw combatant B off the edge. In 5e this is simple - grapple check and done. In 4e this is technically impossible without some of class or monster-specific power because grappling could only pull an enemy behind the grappler. Even houseruling a grapple attempt to work in 4e required forgoing not one but two entire rounds worth of attacks (one to initiate the grapple and a second to move the enemy) with two chances to fail, making it a nonviable option.

I think you miss my point. A generic tactic is precisely how I'd personally run this. And yes, I'd let players attempt this too if there was a solid in-game and in-character basis: Not from simply eating a clove of garlic, unless the PC is trying to affect a vampire maybe, but if say a character had established a propensity for terrible hygiene and/or eating rotting foodstuffs and tried to use the tactic against an enemy that cared about cleanliness I'd certainly consider it. (Barbarian living in squalor vs Drow, for example).

Not to go off topic, but that is exactly how I felt DMing 4e. I was always looking for a power/rule that would let me do things rather than using generic easy to follow guidelines using contests, etc.

Part of what all DMs have to do for 5e is not forget to use the generic tactics when they make sense - grapple/drag, try to shove or trip, help others, improvise maneuvers that can be resolved with contests, etc.

One thing I'm doing now that is helping me "remember" to do these things is I'm keeping a list close by, and sometimes I'm even giving monsters Battlemaster combat maneuvers so that they can do some of these things and add extra damage to boot.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Another example of what I'd consider a good ogre ability / tactic / encounter. An ogre or group of ogres have one or more cave bears or other beasts caged or bound. The bears display visible signs of starvation and mistreatment (and might not be at full hit points). In the first round of combat, one of the ogres releases the animals and makes a horrible racket behind them, pounding the ground violently with its club. This is the ogre's method of "handling" the animals, commanding them to attack the PCs. The animals shy away and/or yelp in response before turning to the PCs. The ogre makes a strength (intimidate) check at advantage due to the mistreatment the animals have previously received at the ogre's or ogres' hands. The combat should be hard to deadly if the animals join the fight against the PCs.

If the PCs think of the idea themselves based on the DM's description of events they can attempt a Handle Animal or Intimidate check of their own, opposed by the Ogre's intimidate check. Success calms or frightens the bears into not attacking the PCs. Success by 5 or more manages to make the animals attack the ogres instead. A speak with animals spell might be able to bypass the need for the check altogether.

Last edited:

Nothing personal, guy, but that's a mathematically illiterate statement. They're circumstantial, sure. But in general - making an enemy prone is worth the cost of an action if two or more allies with more than half equivalent offense can attack (with advantage from the prone condition) before the enemy can stand up. Inflicting the frightened condition or poisoned condition isn't effective at dealing damage, but if they prolong the fight for more than one attacks by allies...
That's not an ogre. That's an ogre with dudes. If you want to re-frame the monster into a context where it's not just an ogre, then that changes the equation significantly. By itself, an ogre is just an ogre.

And if you want to add an ogre as the crowd-control member of a monster squad, and not even use it as some sort of bruiser, then that is tonally inconsistent with the point of an ogre.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
That's not an ogre. That's an ogre with dudes. If you want to re-frame the monster into a context where it's not just an ogre, then that changes the equation significantly. By itself, an ogre is just an ogre.
The ogre is a dull-witted bruiser still. That's an example of the ogre using its abilities as a bruiser to affect others beyond its own straight combat stats. You know what? The 5e kobold's pack tactics and/or 4e's various marking effects are also useless unless fighting with dudes.

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
Grizzabella the Bandit Captain wins 9 out of 100 matches against Graal Tiger the Proto-Champion Brawler and Rupert Grint the Proto-Champion Brawler and Ruprecht the Rogue and Kitty the Rogue, with 1.83 HP remaining (2% of total)

Conclusion: four 1st level PCs is a very, very tough fight for a Bandit Captain, with or without an Ogre as a prelude. Call it around Deadly x6-8. (Based on my experience with Deadly x6 challenges, PCs can win them, but it takes a fair amount of luck and there's about a 70% chance they'll lose if they just walk up and start bashing away with attack rolls.)

All the code is at this link: https://repl.it/EnFq/9

P.S. For those who don't like variant humans, if I remove Heavy Armor Master from the equation, then the weakened bandit captain wins around 3 out of 100 matches against the frontliner/rogue party (so, zero feats involved in the combat), and the full-strength bandit captain wins about 24 out of 100 matches.

Picking the easiest thing I could find, 4 1st level fighters with dueling fighting style, long sword, mail, shield, I did some test runs myself. The fighters have 16 str and 16 con. The fighters do amazing damage for being 1st level and wielding a one-handed weapon, 1d8+5 (9.5 avg). They also have a very high AC 17. Their attack bonus is +5 and so need a 10 to hit the bandit captain while he needs a 12 to hit them.

Once per round, the bandit captain can make one 10 or 11 attack roll miss with his parry ability.

The four basic fighters are amazing. I think the result would be similar with GWF/greatsword group with 2 less AC but damage average increased from 9.5 to 11.3.

Basically, the fighters just do too much damage. With dueling they do a minimum of 6 damage per hit and just chew through the bandit captain, even if he has decent AC and good HP.

I think high AC may be underrated by people (well, me) and, wow, does a simple martial guy put out lots of damage. 4x9.5 average is 38 for a party of four vs. 18.5 of the Bandit Captain.

I'm sure there are other groupings of PCs where the Bandit Captain would do better (like anything squishier), but, like the Ogre, he can't stand up to 2x damage. Plus, with 13 hp the fighter needs 2-3 hits to go down instead of 1 like a wizard might.

The Ogre, on the other hand, is still really weak for a CR2 creature.

Sacrosanct

Legend
That's not an ogre. That's an ogre with dudes. .

Man, if only there were a statement in the ogre's entry somewhere where it says that whenever possible, they are allied with other humanoids...

But that's not in the statblock, so it doesn't add anything to combat and can be ignored...

hawkeyefan

Legend

And if you want to add an ogre as the crowd-control member of a monster squad, and not even use it as some sort of bruiser, then that is tonally inconsistent with the point of an ogre.

Actually, no. The flavor text says that an ogre teams up with other cruel humanoids whenever possible. I think that was @Sacrosanct's point about ignoring the flavor text.

It absolutely makes sense for an ogre to have a bunch of goblin "underlings", or to be an underling itself for a giant.

Edited to add: Ninjad by moments.

Remove ads