Pathfinder 2E Low-level Wizards in PF2 - are they still underpowered?

Puggins

Explorer
superior to just using a crossbow. But they're underneath what a fighter does - that ability to attack twice or three times a turn when the wizard can cast only one cantrip is significant. So, I want the first-level spells to be better... and I'm not sure they are.

Cheers!

You’re limited to one spell a turn? Clearly I haven’t read the book closely enough.

Puggins

Explorer
You're not limited to one spell per turn, but most of them cost two actions to cast.

Cantrips don’t, though, and Merric referred to casting one cantrip a turn. Maybe he was talking in a different context, but using two electrical arcs followed by a ray of frost doesn’t sound very weak considering none of the spells suffer a multiple attack penalty.

FowlJ

Explorer
Cantrips don’t, though, and Merric referred to casting one cantrip a turn. Maybe he was talking in a different context, but using two electrical arcs followed by a ray of frost doesn’t sound very weak considering none of the spells suffer a multiple attack penalty.

No, cantrips also generally take two actions to cast. They are also subject to multiple attack penalty if they have the attack trait.

mewzard

Explorer
I mean, every single time you gain a new spell level, most cantrips go up an extra die in damage value. That 1d4+mod cantrip is 2d4+mod at level 3 and 3d4+mod at level 5. And keep in mind, you can crit on Ray of Frost for double damage.

That doesn't seem that bad.

CapnZapp

Legend
It still doesn't help the level 1 Wizard though...

(There really isn't much to discuss. At level one, everybody sucks badly, but the Wizard sucks worse than most.

Just suck it up, is my most comforting message...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

Cantrips cost two actions to cast.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases