D&D 5E Low-medium CR creatures with lair actions?

Good point. How about this? Since they are focused on lower-mid CR creatures, keeping lair actions more minor than high CR creatures already have is something to keep in mind, and thus no need to differentiate between minor and major.

Leader (5-10 members of a group)
+1 to each ability score, +1 CR, +2 HD, +1 damage to each attack, access to 2 lair actions

Lieutenant (10-25 members of a group)
+2 to each ability score, +2 CR, +1 Proficiency bonus, +5 HD, 1 extra attack action per round, 3 lair actions, one trait

Captain (25-50 members of a group)
+3 to each ability score, +3 CR, +1 Proficiency bonus, +1 AC, +7 HD, 1 extra attack action per round, 4 lair actions, one trait

Chieftain/Chieftess (50+ members of a group)
+4 to each ability score, +4 CR, +2 Proficiency bonus, +2 AC, +10 HD, 1 extra attack per round, +2 damage to each attack, all applicable lair actions, two traits

Lair Actions

• Objects within 5ft of the leader, such as a chair, tankard, rock, burning log, dirt, or other item, can be thrown as a reaction by the leader on this initiative count at one target within 30ft. If a ranged attack roll hits (Prof Bonus + Dexterity mod), then the target will be distracted and suffer disadvantage on all attack rolls until the end of its next turn.
  • The terrain/furnishings in the lair are so familiar to the leader that they can be utilized to avoid blows, granting a +2 bonus to the leader’s AC until the start of the next round.
  • A pitfall, rock deadfall in the ceiling, or other trap is triggered in a 5ft square. Any creature within that area needs to make a Dexterity saving throw or suffer 6 (1d10) damage of a type based on trap (piercing for spikes, bludgeoning for rocks, etc.) and have their movement rate set to 0 until the end of their next turn.
  • A light source (torch, fire, lantern) will flash in bright light. All creatures within 30ft of the light source will need to make a Dexterity saving throw or be blinded until the start of the next round. The creatures of this lair are immune as they are prepared for this and know what to expect.
  • Roots or vines animate in a 5ft square. Any large sized or smaller creature in this area will need to make an athletics check or be grappled until the start of the next round. The creature may take their action to attempt to break free by making an athletics check.
  • A fungi or flower expels spores in a 5ft radius. Any creature in the area of effect will need to make a Constitution saving throw or be charmed until the end of their next turn. Charmed creatures are in a stupor, considered restrained and unable to take any actions.
  • A hidden passage opens, known only to the leader and the creatures of the lair. This is a hidden opening, requiring a perception check to succeed against a DC 10+leader’s proficiency bonus. This passage leads to another passage, to the surface, another room, or some other location determined by the GM.
I think I prefer the idea of just providing lair actions and no modifications to the stat block. You want a Gnoll chieftain, here use the “leader” lair actions or something similar. Then you could also have them themed by environment too.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Great thread - in essence there are (a) clever monsters (generally humanoids) that have traps and gadgets in their lairs, (b) partly planar/supernatural monsters that might have increased essence of feywild, shadowfell, or lower plane influence for other lair effects, (I guess black annis can have both or hybrid of two), or (c) associated critters - e.g. spiders with ettercaps or drow, hyenas with gnolls, rats with chaotic evil pied pipers, familiars etc....any other categories of lair buffing?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
An alternate view on humanoid leaders might be to maybe make it more random - for instance, a leader of a (random humanoid) tribe might be exceptionally cunning/strong/dextrous/tough - so rolling a d6 to determinw which ability is buffed and add 1d4 points accordingly - then adding a bonus depending on this - e.g. spells if INT/WIS/CHA or BIG weapon if STR or whatever. This way customises superior leaders and maybe liuetenants of a tribe

Good thread.

5E monsters definitely need a boost. Fortunately, between lair actions, legendary actions, and wanton theft of 4E monster design -- we have everything we need.

Stuff that I'm experimenting with includes:

Creating new types of legendary actions. Automatically turning a miss into a hit, rallying allies, counterspelling, etc.

Using lair actions to change the battlefield. Floors and walls collapse, traps trigger, etc. I want lair actions to feel distinct from creature actions, and I want them make the encounter more dynamic and not just more punishing.

Scaling monsters by tier. For example, a CR7 monster is a Tier 2 challenge. Therefore it has at least 2 attacks/turn and does 2x the average damage listed in the stat block. If I want to make it more of a mini-boss, it also has 2x the average hit points and 2 legendary actions.

Conversely, I'm also creating minions and mobs on the fly by lowering hit points so creatures can be taken out in 1 or 2 hits, while keeping the other stats the same (or even making them stronger offensively).

With all of that said, I think the annis hag lair actions are a good start, but I'd make them hit harder.

Remove ads