[LPF] Darkness Rising

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa ignores the snickering, reminding herself that such pettiness is beneath a servant of the Host. She gives a brief and carefully factual explanation of how the group came to be in the temple. She explains the nature and location of the secret passage that the doppleganger revealed, and makes mention of the bodies of the Dark Ones the priests can find in the passage. "I do not know how the Dark Folk came to enter," she adds, "But I can only assume they came in through the secret passage. A security problem you might wish to correct," she adds, unable to contain her irritation with the interrogator's behavior any longer.

"We witnessed the Doppleganger open the vault with a stone shaping spell," she adds. "By then it was clear that something was amiss, and when it became clear that the dragonne was a servant of Helerion, we attacked the false priest."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

LieraAvatar2.jpg

Tyrien doesn't see where the trick is, she has not been lying the entire time. She she proceeds to tell it like it is, not holding back one bit on especially horrid details or opinions of appearances. She talks and talks and talks and talks. She will even mention morning ablutions and what they ate.

Finally, the half-elven lass intakes a deep breath, ready to blather on about more truths for another five minutes. But she only says, "So, you see? We are only guilty of being mistrustful of the wrong person."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +8 Perception: +15 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 16 Touch) +1AC Prot Evil
HP: 35 Current: 64
CMB: +9 CMD: 26(19ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +12 Will: +5
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Protection from Evil +1AC, Bless
Current Weapon in Hand: none
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining, Daybreak Arrows (28/40)

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Agno Phoenicus, priest of Issolatha

With Larissa's response and Tyrien's long, rambling discourse Agno doesn't feel a need to respond. Instead he stands listening as Tyrien talks and he nods his head in agreement with her tale.

"It is true: wrongly trustful of, hurrr... guilty persons."

Keeling stares at Arrak apparently fascinated with the flying lion creature.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]--[/sblock]

• • • • Agno Phoenicus • • • •

[sblock=Mini Stats]Agno Phoenicus
Initiative: +3
AC: 18 (15 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 43 Current: 11
CMB: +4 CMD: 17 Fort: +7 Reflex: +5 Will: +10 (+12 vs. Charm & compulsion effects)
Speed: 40 ft. (50 ft. with Longstrider)

Current Weapon in Hand: shortbow
Ammo (Arrows): 32/40 remaining
6 arrows w/daybreak
Current Conditions in Effect:

Lightning Arc: 7/7 remaining
Channel Energy: 0/4 remaining
Agile Feet: 4/7 remaining
Hawkeye: 3/7 remaining
Totem Transformation: 2/4 minutes remaining

Cleric Spells:
Spells Prepared:
1st level: bless, divine favor, longstrider (D)
0-level: guidance, light, stabilize

Druid Spells:
Spells Prepared:
3rd level: cure moderate wounds, daylight, fly (D)
2nd level: chill metal, lesser restoration, share language, eagle's splendor (D)
1st level: cure light wounds, entangle, faerie fire, shillelagh, aspect of the falcon (D)
0-level: detect magic, detect poison, flare, resistance[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
Once Tyrien pauses her rambling, the inquisitor jumps in. "Well, yes, I can confirm that all of that is the truth my comrades. Their intentions were pure, even if their knowledge was poor. So, they shall not meet the same fate as this one", as he kicks the fake Relios in the side.

"Are you sure?" "Yes. I don't know all the details on the schemes of the doppelganger, but further interrogation of him doesn't require these three."

"All right. So, now I can give you the formal Thank You from the house of Helerion." Arrak growls, still quite upset, but putting up with these formalities.

The old priest snaps his fingers and a squire that has been standing in the background comes forward. The priest raises one finger on one hand and two upon the other. The squire understands his duty. First approaching Larissa, he reaches into a bag, and pulls forth a greatsword, handing it to her. Moving over to Agno, he looks at the bird man a moment, then reaches into the bag. This time, out comes a quarterstaff. Handing it over, he goes to the half-elf. Reaching in, he pulls a bow. Arrak growls so deeply, the tower seems to shake. Putting that back, the squire pulls another greatsword. Another rumble from the beast makes the squire's hands start to shake. Going back in a third time, he pulls out a dagger this time and shows it to the dragonne as if asking approval. This time the beast is silent, so the squire hands the dagger to Tyrien.

While the squire has been handing out things, the squire has been examining the gifts with detect magic. Smiling with the expertise of a politician, "These were taken off of the true invaders of our house. Take them as thanks for attempting to save a sister church in it's time of need. And now, I think you should start your trip back to Venza. Don't pay any attention to the screams that may echo through the valley for the next few nights. That one has secrets to reveal, and he will." as he points the the creature still laying face down on the floor.

He waves his hand toward the stairs and the others surrounding you part to give you a path to leave.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Agno Phoenicus, priest of Issolatha

"Hurrr... yes. Thank you for this gift," says Agno quickly with sidelong glances towards Arrak. "Good luck in finding your answers and rebuilding your temple and reconstituting your priesthood." He looks over at Tyrien and Larissa catching their eye and it is clear he is ready to be away. "We shall go, yes?"

Agno nudges Tyrien as he starts to move off. "I should like to know what is a, hurrr... dopplerganger."

[sblock=OOC/Actions]--[/sblock]

• • • • Agno Phoenicus • • • •

[sblock=Mini Stats]Agno Phoenicus
Initiative: +3
AC: 18 (15 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 43 Current: 11
CMB: +4 CMD: 17 Fort: +7 Reflex: +5 Will: +10 (+12 vs. Charm & compulsion effects)
Speed: 40 ft. (50 ft. with Longstrider)

Current Weapon in Hand: shortbow
Ammo (Arrows): 32/40 remaining
6 arrows w/daybreak
Current Conditions in Effect:

Lightning Arc: 7/7 remaining
Channel Energy: 0/4 remaining
Agile Feet: 4/7 remaining
Hawkeye: 3/7 remaining
Totem Transformation: 2/4 minutes remaining

Cleric Spells:
Spells Prepared:
1st level: bless, divine favor, longstrider (D)
0-level: guidance, light, stabilize

Druid Spells:
Spells Prepared:
3rd level: cure moderate wounds, daylight, fly (D)
2nd level: chill metal, lesser restoration, share language, eagle's splendor (D)
1st level: cure light wounds, entangle, faerie fire, shillelagh, aspect of the falcon (D)
0-level: detect magic, detect poison, flare, resistance[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

LieraAvatar2.jpg

Tyrien took the dagger with an arched eyebrow and then chuckled, "So that's how it is, eh Arrak? I have two decent bows already."

She bids the inquisitor and paladin thanks before taking the offered path to the stairs. Feeling vindicated was not hard. Besides, for all his bluster and bad breath, she still bested the dragonne and he knows it. Head held high, a conquering heroine, the archeress departed with the others.

With Agno's question she glances at him and replies softly, "Maybe it is a demon that can assume someone's appearance. A fancy name for imposter, perhaps?"

"I wonder if we can just walk out the front door... I assume we can find it once we are downstairs."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +8 Perception: +15 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 16 Touch) +1AC Prot Evil
HP: 35 Current: 64
CMB: +9 CMD: 26(19ff) Fort: +6 Reflex: +12 Will: +5
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Protection from Evil +1AC, Bless
Current Weapon in Hand: none
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining, Daybreak Arrows (28/40)

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa accepts the blade. "Thank you, then," she says simply. "Good fortune to you in your continuing war."

She proceeds down the steps after her departing comrades. She ponders Agno's question and Tyrien's reply.

"Whatever it is," the priestess. "I am becoming concerned that there are more of them about than I care to know. In the space of months, I have twice fought against those seeking to bring down the Church of Helerion. It seems dark powers seek to dominance in Venza and its environs."

Satin Knights

First Post
The party makes it down the stairwell to find the northern wall contains grand oak doors, twenty feet tall and twenty feet wide. A couple squires from the paladin's party make sure you head out promptly towards your return to Venza.

After about a half hour of walking, you hear the first screams echoing across the valley from the citadel's tower. Your journey is undisturbed as you make your way back home.

~The End~
[sblock=ooc]Considering you have two clerics, healing back up just takes a day's spell allotment of the three going back to Venza. Larissa carefully studies the items you were given and is able to identify them. (Well, if she missed, the Mystic Pearl could do it as well. :heh:[/sblock]
GM: Agno finishes the adventure earning 18,152 GP and 18,205 XP. That leaves him at a total of 28,316 XP over his career.
Treasure received: +1 Vicious Spell Storing staff (value 18,301), so he needs to pay 149 gp in gold or items to the others to balance out perfect.

Larissa finishes the adventure earning 18,777 GP and 19,223 XP. That leaves her at a total of 31,311 XP over her career.
Treasure received: +1 Mimetic shortsword (value 8,310), Cloak of Elvenkind (value 2,500), Boots of Striding and Springing (value 5,500) and a Greatsword +1 (value 2,350) along with 117 gold coins.

Tyrien finishes the adventure earning 22,595 GP and 24,945 XP. That leaves her at a total of 44,777 XP over her career.
Treasure received: Cloak of Elvenkind (value 2,500), Dagger of Doubling (value 10,302), +1 Planar shortsword (value 8,310), masterwork shortsword (value 310) and 1,173 gold pieces.

The rest of the items disappeared with the witch so I don't have to bother putting them into the Pearl.
Full numbers and calculations are here in my first post in the thread.
[sblock=Secret Plot-lines]Relios was a very evil doppleganger that tricked the darkfolk into raiding the citadel in an attempt to get the stone he was obsessing over. It was a Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals. He planned get the stone and use it to solidify his rule of some underdark with a proverbial fist of iron. But, the initial battle went bad, and he deserted before his army could turn on him. He hired you to try, as a second chance, to get the stone and then double cross you. The vault also held four +5 weapons, but they were all alignment based, so he knew he couldn't get them. If the darkfolk tried, they would have suffered as well, so he knew they could not be used against him. Being a cleric of Arakan with the murder and trickery subdomains, his channels were negative energy based, so he could not get past the pit on his own. Posing as father Relios, who had used his channels up in the battle, he duped Gergoi into doing that part on the way out to do the channeling then. He duped you on the way back in pretty much in the same way. He also used Gergoi to do the recruitment, so as to not raise suspicions on himself. His mace was consecrated spell storing. So, 1/2 a negative channel plus an inflict serious wounds made for a single, devastating strike when he needed it.

He was purely using you to tie up and delay the defenses of the citadel so he could grab the stone and disappear. Considering he had a bluff of +15, the opposed rolls to figure him out were quite difficult.

Arrak was an Advanced Celestial Dragonne with one level of cleric. He was brought in with Planar Ally to defend the citadel during the initial attack by the real Relios. The coil around his leg was a wand of cure light wounds, shaped a little differently than normal. The Amulet of Might Fists was +0 Mimetic, so he gains the resistances of the creature he is going toe to toe with in combat. Great against outsiders and dragons, but not so much against simple darkfolk. All in all, he was a creature that could take on an army of fifty in a war of attrition from higher ground.

The pit wasn't in the original writeup, but I needed something more than 'you sneak in the back door' without a challenge. The blast that Tonris triggered was a greater dispel magic. It blew a hole in the magic that slowly repaired itself over time because it is a permanent effect. If the witch's flying hadn't been (SU) he would have fallen through the hole. A normal mage flying would have, by design. The "don't take the easy path" was because there was a normal hole in the ground half way along the smooth path even if the rest was solidified by the channels. Quartz crystals at the half way point would have zapped spider climbers with electricity if that method was attempted. I didn't think about teleport/dimension door at the time of creation, but I am sure a dimensional trap would have been there if needed. Only positive channelers were meant to get through.

I hope you had fun.[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
Thanks for a fun run, SK! I appreciate your stepping in and committing to the thing the way you did. Especially given some rather...unusual challenges that arose.

PM, GlassEye, fun playing with you, see you in the funny papers.

Remove ads