[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

[sblock=ooc]Yes, the idea was to use some of the vendor trash to take care of Tyrien's temporary lost levels. If I figure the spell right, it's around 380 at base cost (caster level 7 x level 4 spell x 10 = 280 + 100 gp component for temp negative level removal).

I generally don't have Eanos haggle because I thought haggling in general started making LPF's economy problematic. Because if you can haggle here, then why can't you haggle at the Mystic Pearl, for example (and I don't want to add haggling there, because it gets horrific when combined with 100% buyback)? And you definitely can't haggle with spell components, but I'll roll anyway, just in case there's wiggle room on the service price itself. No worries if there isn't. Like I said, I recognize that haggling starts making the economy go wibbly wobbly:

Silver Tongue Diplomacy (haggle?) (1d20+19=27)[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:75 Current: 73
Senses: Perception 20 (24 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 23/27
CMB: +8 CMD: 23 Fort: +8 (+11 w/ purity, +12 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +12 (+15 w/ purity, +16 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound
***Purity bonus doubled vs. curses, diseases, and poisons

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +14/+09 = [BAB (07/02)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +10/+05 = [BAB (07/02) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit & damage / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

2 +1 Daggers (temporary)

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-3 attack, +6 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 22/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 18/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 9/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 3/4 Remaining
Determination: 4/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 2/7 remaining
Bane: 6/10 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 10/10 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 80'/100' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (5/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Flames of the Faithful, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Halt Undead, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
4th (2/2 remaining)(DC 18): Death Ward, Judgment Light

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC Note on haggling]Well, the haggling issue in LPF is not disallowed. You just cannot do it for any benefit in the stores since there is 100% buy-back and uniform gear cost tracking.

Also since adventures are adhering to stricter WBL requirements, haggling for more reward is often pointless. Though as GM, I could have worked that into my adventures to allow for some leeway for a few 100gp above or below the expected GP based upon the results. I don’t recall anyone (Judges) telling me I could not do that, but I never tried either.

In this specific case, we are haggling to reduce the cost of a service that is going to actually cut into our overall WBL. I see no reason why we cannot try to reduce the hit to our pocketbooks. I don’t see Systole being required to readjust the overall adventure rewards to accommodate the expenditure of Restoration spells. In the end, the tracking of this will all be sorted out in the final adventure tally and not our sheets as a consumable.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Father Mackavoy frowns as he examines Tyrien. Although a drunkard, he's an experienced healer. "You've been tangling with strong undead ... not jusht skeletons and such that someone raised for a lark. What have you been tangling with, miss? Wait ... you're the ones investigating the murders. Tanager protect us, is that what'sh been doing it? Undead?" The cleric turns pale, and it takes a minute (and a swig of Gemma's moonshine) to calm him down.

He wipes his brow. "I'm afraid the darknesh in you is beyond my ability to cleanse completely, but I do have shome scrollsh for emergencies only. I think two dozen murdersh by a major undead definitely qualifiesh as an emergency."

Gemma answers Heinrich's questions while the priest digs through his scroll case. "The lagoon's always been a dark place. It seems like it got darker these past years, but yesterday was the first time I've seen anything monstrous there. The catacombs are about two hours' walk away. Say, five miles or so. There are a few tracks through the woods that we use when we need timber for our boats and firewood and such. There's one path that'll go close by the ruins and I can draw you a map to get you the rest of the way. How old they are and what dangers are in them, I've no idea. They're old elven magic, and that's a good enough reason for the likes of us to stay away."

fisher2_150.jpg
mackavoy_150.gif

. . Gemma Moressi . . . Father Mackavoy . .

[sblock=OOC & Haggling]Heinrich took no damage, since Stoneskin absorbed it.

Mackavoy will have spell scrolls for sale. Figure that he has at least one copy of every cleric spell 3rd and under, and 50% availability on copies beyond that, similar to the Pearl. Higher level spells will just be a straight 50% availability.

Re: Haggling. Restoration spells can only remove one negative level per week. In the interest of not gimping Tyrien for the final push, as well as making some concession to haggling, I think offering the use of a Greater Restoration scroll for the price of two regular Restoration castings is fair.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Re: Haggling. Restoration spells can only remove one negative level per week. In the interest of not gimping Tyrien for the final push, as well as making some concession to haggling, I think offering the use of a Greater Restoration scroll for the price of two regular Restoration castings is fair.

I thought energy drained negative levels were temporary until 24 hours went by, which would mean Restoration clears all of them? If I'm reading the spell right, anyway, it looks like the one week limitation is for permanent levels only?

No worries either way. I'm mostly asking because this is my first interaction with negative levels, and I'm trying to make sure I understand how the rules / spells work surrounding them for future reference, since I figure it's the kind of thing my higher-level characters are going to run into more and more of. [/sblock]

Systole

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
I thought energy drained negative levels were temporary until 24 hours went by, which would mean Restoration clears all of them? If I'm reading the spell right, anyway, it looks like the one week limitation is for permanent levels only?

No worries either way. I'm mostly asking because this is my first interaction with negative levels, and I'm trying to make sure I understand how the rules / spells work surrounding them for future reference, since I figure it's the kind of thing my higher-level characters are going to run into more and more of.

On rereading the :):):):)ing entry on energy drain for like the fourth time, it turns out you are correct. "If a negative level is not removed before 24 hours have passed, the affected creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the draining creature’s racial HD + the draining creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). On a success, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. On a failure, the negative level becomes permanent."

Which means that the negative level is not permanent until the saving throw is failed.

On a side note, the fact that important stuff like this is buried in the middle of a paragraph in a throwaway sentence is infuriating to me.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

Gemma answers Heinrich's questions while the priest digs through his scroll case. "The lagoon's always been a dark place. It seems like it got darker these past years, but yesterday was the first time I've seen anything monstrous there. The catacombs are about two hours' walk away. Say, five miles or so. There are a few tracks through the woods that we use when we need timber for our boats and firewood and such. There's one path that'll go close by the ruins and I can draw you a map to get you the rest of the way. How old they are and what dangers are in them, I've no idea. They're old elven magic, and that's a good enough reason for the likes of us to stay away."
ooc: Is that pick of the priest dean martin?

ic Heinrick is unscathed, but does not realize it at first. He smiles a chagrin look on his face. He contemplates Gemma's information and searches his memory of what he has learned by prusing dusty tomes in his uncle's library.

the Elvin ruins -
knowledge: 1d20+17=29

the lagoon -
local: 1d20+10=13

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien was feeling much better after the priest cast his spells. She answered his question, “Yes, these blighters were definitely tougher than skeletons and zombies. I think they were variations of wights, maybe. But they were no pushovers, requiring more arrows and accuracy to put down that others we have destroyed.”

“Eanos, since the Father has a stockpile of scrolls, maybe we need one or two at least of this restorative spell he just cast. And possibly a summoning spell for some fodder to protect us.”
she gestured between herself and Heinrich with her thumb to identify "us".

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 62 Current: 59
CMB: +8 CMD: 27(20ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock][sblock=OOC Note]So the ruling on Restoration & haggling is just going to be figured into the tally of treasure at adventure end, Systole? Works for me and keeps things simpler.

For the scroll purchases, I am not sure how much JK is looking to buy, but a few Restoration Scrolls are a good idea. I am fine using the treasury of vender trash for that too.

I am assuming that Tyrien is back to normal now.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

[sblock=ooc]Agreed on frustrations with the negative level stuff. It's one of the reasons I asked, since I read that over a few times and even did a little googling to parse it, and I was still a little fuzzy on it. Not only is the sentence at the end of the paragraph, but the "temporary for 24 hours" stuff is only really there by implication (i.e., if they <i>become</i> permanent, they must not start out that way). It's a really muddy way to express that fact, especially given how explicitly different the game treats temp and perm negative levels when it comes to removing them. [/sblock]

Eanos' lips thin, then he sighs.

"Cat's out, I guess," he says as the priest puts everything together despite his inebriation. Eanos wonders for a moment just how drunk the man really is, then tosses the thought away. What matters isn't his sobriety.

"Sorry for the secrets, Father, but we were trying to shield you. This ... nastiness doesn't like folks knowing about it. It's killed or tried to kill to cover its tracks, and no reason to believe it wouldn't do it again. We're glad of your help, but for the sake of your own skin, I suggest when you leave this place, you make like you don't know anything, yes? It has ears everywhere."

The red-headed man pauses only a moment to let the danger settle in before he moves on.

"If we make good against our quarry, though, won't be anything more to worry about, so what scrolls you have that can help, we're glad to buy. Like I said, there's a spell to hide a body from the undead. Might be useful to have one; more if you don't have it at the strength to hide all three of us. Like the lady said, if you've any scrolls to reverse more of those touches, we'd be grateful to buy those, too, and any spells that might give us with some cannon fodder or hurt the undead more than the living?"

[sblock=ooc]I think everything Eanos says is truthful. Don / Rosa killed Nom, Daug, and Walder to keep their secret. And with the undead all over the place, who knows what they can and can't hear. I don't know that I think he's actively trying to Intimidate the priest so much as let him know how dangerous his knowledge is. I just rolled Sense Motive for now, then, to get a read on how likely it is he'll stay quiet.

Sense Motive (will Father stay quiet)? (1d20+23=25)

Okay, it looks like my memory's good on this one, and using this decision from a ways back, Heinrich should be able to use Summon Monster scrolls if we get them now, since they're on his spell list and purchased scrolls aren't divided along divine / arcane lines. Here's what I'm thinking, though folks can obviously give a nix to anything they think useless, or add on:

* Hide From Undead (CL 3 so it can cover the whole party?)
* Restoration
* Summon Monster 2 and / or 3 (depending on if Heinrich can use them)
* Daybreak Arrow (50 minute duration at min caster level for +1d6 damage to undeads on 50 arrows seems a good buff for a scroll)

I'm not sure if you'll allow the CL 3 single scroll, so I rolled availability on extras, and on the Restoration and an extra Daybreak:

2 extra Hide from Undead; 1 extra Daybreak Arrow; 2 Restorations (50% chance, high = yes) (1d100=17, 1d100=20, 1d100=55, 1d100=96, 1d100=4)

Looks like no extras on Hide from Undead, so price will depend on whether you're okay with us getting it at a higher CL. Yes on an extra Daybreak Arrow, so both archers can have glowy projectile goodness, but only one Restoration scroll. Hopefully that'll be enough. :) So:

1x Hide from Undead: price 25 gp or 375 gp depending on approved CL
1x Restoration: 700 gp
1x Summon Monster: 2 150 gp (if Heinrich can cast it)
1x Summon Monster: 3 375 gp (if Heinrich can cast it)
2x Daybreak Arrow: 750 gp total for 2

I entertained the notion of Abundant Ammunition, too, but even if Eanos has to burn his special arrows, I think he should have enough. At least, I hope so. o_0. [/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil)
HP:75 Current: 73
Senses: Perception 20 (24 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 23/27
CMB: +8 CMD: 23 Fort: +8 (+11 w/ purity, +12 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +12 (+15 w/ purity, +16 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound
***Purity bonus doubled vs. curses, diseases, and poisons

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +14/+09 = [BAB (07/02)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +10/+05 = [BAB (07/02) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit & damage / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

2 +1 Daggers (temporary)

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-3 attack, +6 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 22/31
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 18/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 9/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 3/4 Remaining
Determination: 4/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 2/7 remaining
Bane: 6/10 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 10/10 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 80'/100' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (5/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (4/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Flames of the Faithful, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Halt Undead, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
4th (2/2 remaining)(DC 18): Death Ward, Judgment Light

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien added, “Yes, summoning spells are only good if Heinrich can cast them. I am able to use the least version of those spells, but on a scroll they are not worth it. Maybe we can find a few riding dogs for sale to be our in close protectors. Then we can use some cheaper low level mage spells to protect them.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 62 Current: 59
CMB: +8 CMD: 27(20ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/3 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock][sblock=OOC Note]Re: Scroll Purchases:

2x Summon Monster 3 instead of 1 of each. It will last 5 rounds at base CL where Summon Monster 2 only 3 rounds
Daybreak Arrows are awesome sauce in this case. :)

I am even willing to purchase a couple of Attack Dogs and buff them with Mage Armor and Protection from Evil instead of Summon Monster 2. We need a viable tank substitute or some battlefield control.[/sblock]

Remove ads