[LPF] Fury Steps In

Qik

First Post
Parsons shifts uncomfortably, but takes a moment to mull on Fury's words before he responds. He seems to be sorting through his thoughts as he speaks.

"I don't deny your point, Orlando - people need to feel as though the White Cloaks are on their side if we're to do our job right. But there's a reason there aren't many Ranocchian White Cloaks stationed in the district - it's that there aren't many White Cloaks from Ranocchio, period. And since we've never had a problem with filling our ranks in general, we've never been forced into recruiting."

While Parsons further considers Fury's point, Milo smiles. "I think it's a fine point, m'boy. And I even do you one better, since I know someone who would be perfect for the job. You." Milo accentuates his point with a jab of his coffee mug.

It's hard to say who looks more surprised at this assertion, Fury or Commander Parsons. Suffice it to say that shock is in surplus.

[sblock=OOC]NICE. :)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Commander Parsons' rebuttal is forgotten in the aftermath of Milo's statement. Fury gapes then laughs thinking Milo has pulled one over on him. When he sees the expression on the older man's face his laughter dies.

"Wait a minute. You're serious! He blinks rapidly as he processes what Milo has said. "But I was talking about you, Milo. People respect you, you've experience dealing with the government, you..." His arguments die away as he sees the unyielding expression on his host's face.

There is a rustling from the other side of the room as Milo's wife struggles to sit up and look over at the three men. Preternaturally bright eyes stare at Fury and she absent-mindedly smooths down mussed hair. "Don't argue with Milo, Orlando. He's always right. Sooner you make your peace with it the better off you'll be."

The room is quiet as Fury mulls things over. It takes him a while to sort through his thoughts and when he does he realizes he feels, faintly, that 'jangle' that precedes a monumentally stupid action that might, just possibly, take him to an unexpected place. He shrugs and smiles because he knows that its already been decided. "Well. I guess I should go talk to some people."

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 34
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Milo laughs at his wife's interjection. "She's right, you know, if I do say so myself. Haven't you learned that yet?" he adds with a child-like grin.

Parsons, however, seems to need a little more convincing. "Milo, you can't be serious...No offense, Orlando, but you just don't strike me as a White Cloaks member. And who's to say you'd even be stationed in Ranocchio..."

Milo raises his hand to forestall further argument. "I'm not suggesting Fury mire himself in bureaucracy and procedure by joining the rank-and-file White Cloaks. I think we could all agree that he's not suited for such a context. What I'm suggesting is that we create a new role, a liaison between the White Cloaks and the general public."

"But we don't need a liaison..."

Milo interjects sternly. "No, Roses D'Avorio doesn't need a liaison. I dare say that you do, for the Planks at least. Just look at what you found yesterday," he continues, gesturing out the window. "The Krakens were about to start a bloody pesh refinery here. And the White Cloaks had no idea. No idea. I don't mean to be harsh here, Galen, and I don't attribute the failing to you, but still: it's the truth. I don't think it's a coincidence that we only learned about this when Fury got involved. He's able to have the conversations you aren't, and twist the elbows you can't..."

Parsons remains unconvinced. "We don't need a mercenary, Milo..."

"He's not going to be a mercenary, Galen. He's going to be an intermediary. Someone who can get the White Cloaks the information they need, and show the people that one of their own has had enough, and is helping to take care of their district. With someone doing that, they'll have to realize that their problems aren't caused by somebody else - the Krakens, the White Cloaks, whomever - but by themselves. They're their own responsibility. I think Fury's presence as the official People's Liaison to the White Cloaks would go a long way in that regard."

As it is often wont to do, Milo's hand forestalls further argument. "I've made up my mind, Galen. As long as Orlando is willing, of course," he adds with a sidelong glance, "I'm going to make a proposal for his installment as People's Liaison to the White Cloaks at the next meeting of the Council of the People. And I dare say that if the Coordinator is really intending on capitalizing on this whole shenanigan, he'd do well to go along with this. It would be hard for him to claim the role of Ranocchio's savior otherwise."

Satisfied with his argument, Milo sits back in his chair and takes a sip of his coffee.

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Not suited?! I'd make a damned fine White Cloak," says Fury in mock indignation. "Oh, liason. I thought you meant..." He grins sheepishly and settles back down into the chair and reaches out for his coffee.

"I'll liase whatever you want, Milo, if you think it will help."

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 34
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Milo finishes his coffee and nods. "Well, it's settled then. The issue will have to be discussed among the Council, but I dare say that they'll be supportive of it. From there, it will just be the Coordinator's call, and like I said, he'd look foolish not to support this move in the wake of his declaration that he's cleaning up Ranocchio." Milo grins at Galen Parsons. "Looks like you'll have to be the one to break the news to ol' Moretti..."

[sblock=OOC]What do you think about calling it there? This seems like as good a stopping point as we're going to get to me, but I want to make sure you're satisfied with the resolution.

I'll tell you, this almost feels more like a beginning than an end. Maybe we'll get the chance to build on this on down the road. And hopefully others will seize on these developments on Fury, too.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
I agree that this seems like a natural place to end even though it does feel like the prologue to a new book in Fury's life. :) I have enjoyed this immensely. It turned out to be way more than I was hoping and I am certainly satisfied with the resolution. Thanks!

Qik

First Post
Awesome; again, I'm really pleased to hear that. It might be a few days before I find the space to confront the numbers, but I'll get to it asap.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Not a problem; I'm in no hurry. I have to confess I haven't kept good track of any of the treasure but I see you have most of that noted in the first post. Fury will have to pay a spellcaster to identify the amulet, too. If we can assume he's taken care of that that would be great.

Qik

First Post
Right, so here are the final numbers. Points of note:

Somewhere in the midst of things, I shorted you 1290 GP; I think among the culprits was the potion-drinking baddies in the first round. In any event, that gets shoe-horned in at the end; sorry for the lack of drama in that one ;).

The amulet was an Amulet of Natural Armor +1, worth 2000 gp.

I subtracted the cost of hiring a spellcaster to cast Identify (10 gp) and the money Fury gave to Bonita (120 gp) from the final GP total, although I indicated the amount earned before these costs as well. No other expenditures were included in my total.

Without further ado: [MENTION=21076]IronWolf[/MENTION], I choose you to look them over (i.e. thanks, IW ;)) Thanks for your patience, GE.

[sblock=Final Numbers]138 days

leveled to 6 on Feb 15

74 days at level 5
- 74 days x 28 xp/day = 2072 TBX
- 74 days x 31 gp/day = 2294 TBG

64 days at level 6
- 64 days x 44 xp/day = 2816 TBX
- 64 days x 42 gp/day = 2688 TBG

TOTAL TBX = 4888 TBX
TOTAL TBG = 4982 TBG

ADVENTURE XP = 4100
+ 4888 TBX
---------------------
8988 TOTAL XP REWARDED

ADVENTURE GP = 4724 initially
+ 1290 (GM error -> 6014 ADVENTURE GP TOTAL)
+ 4982 TBG
----------------------------------
10996 TOTAL GP REWARDED
- 120 GP (given away to Bonita)
- 10 GP to identify amulet
----------------------------------
10866 NET GP[/sblock]

Remove ads