log in or register to remove this ad

 

[LPF] Fury Steps In

Qik

First Post
Here we go, @GlassEye . I'm really looking forward to this, and I hope it does a decent job of addressing some of your hopes for Fury's character.

As this is a solo, I have a hard time gauging its scope, but my guess is that it lies at the shorter end of the spectrum. Depending on how things go, both in my real life and in-game, maybe we can end up expanding things; we'll play that by ear. In the meantime, hope you enjoy it!

Judge: IronWolf
GM: Qik
PC: Orlando Furioso (GlassEye)

[sblock=Encounter Rewards]Encounter 1: 1400 XP, 1049 GP worth of gear
Encounter 2: 800 XP, 390 GP
Encounter 3: 400 XP
Encounter 4: 800 XP, 635 GP in gear, 250 GP in coins (120 given away), Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (2000 gp)
Encounter 5: 700 XP, 400 GP in coins[/sblock][sblock=Time-based Rewards]Reached level 6 on Feb.14[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Qik

First Post
As the sunny Venzan afternoon turned to dusk in anticipation of night, Orlando Furioso, the former bravo hunter and native of the Planks, strolled along the outskirts of the district of his birth. The pleasant afternoon weather was somewhat stymied by the dismal surroundings: hovels built on unsteady lifts, perched with varying degrees of perilousness over the waterways of the city, children playing in blackened water, clothed in rags, their mothers nowhere in sight, and presumably no better off. For Fury, the familiarity of the scene did little to lessen its detestablity; witnessing his home would almost undoubtedly be an experience tinged with bittersweetness, if not out-and-out alarm and scorn.

[sblock=OOC]Apologies for just plopping you in there; had I thought it through beforehand, I would have warned you that I'd planned to start with you in Ranocchio. Feel free to devise your own justification for Fury's presence there (as long as it isn't a pressing matter...), or to leave it altogether unsaid.[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Thanks a lot, Qik! I'm going to enjoy this, too. I appreciate this chance. And no problem with dropping Fury in Ranocchio; he goes back there on a fairly regular basis as a reminder of what he came from. I figure that over the past few weeks of his existence he's decided that the only way a change will come to Planks is if someone stands up to do it. So he's taking that first step...[/sblock]

Orlando Furioso, or 'Fury' as people are wont to call him, looks out across Ranocchio, his not-quite beloved Planks with dismay and a growing sense that it could be better if only someone would take a stand. He never thought it would be himself. The first step, however, would be moving back into the district and that required a place to stay.

"Just you and me... and all the other low-lifes."

He pulls his cloak tighter around himself and heads off deeper into the darkening byways of Planks.



[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 40
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: nothing

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
Fury walks the byways of the Planks, taking in the familiar sights and sounds and keeping an eye out for possible future lodgings. Although the thought of once again taking residence in such a gloomy locale isn't exactly cause for celebration, Fury recognizes the need for a positive presence in the district, and his increasingly strong sense of self, honed by his recent professional work, seems to have given him the strength of character to understand that moving back is his choice, and that he's a different person than when last he lived in Ranocchio.

Partially lost in such thoughts, Fury rounds a corner, coming upon a small dirt square formed at the intersection of several streets. In the corner opposite to him, three bravos are huddled together. At first, Fury thinks them to be simply idling away the evening in typical Bravo fashion. A second look, however, tells a different story: the three seem to have surrounded an elderly man, who now lies on the ground, stricken with fear even as his visage carries an element of defiance. As Fury processes what he sees, the larger of the three bravos, clearly the ringleader, spits on the elderly man. "The way I see it, Milo me ol' boy, you need to relearn your place in the scheme of things. Just think of us as the teachers. And this" - the bravo speaking kicks the man squarely in the gut, knocking the wind out of him - "as your first lesson."

With the lecturing thug's attention turned towards the man on the ground, one of his companions looks over his shoulder and catches sight of Fury. "Hey!" he yells, "What're you looking at?"

[sblock=OOC]You won initiative, so you can enter into combat mode if you want, or are welcome to speak first (although depending on how they take what you say, this may allow them to act first). As it stands, the trio is flat-footed.

Also, forgive the crudity of the map; I'm in full-on jetlag mode at the moment (flew from England to New Orleans yesterday), so my aesthetic capabilities are far from optimum.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-1.png
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Fury's fingers twitch and he almosts reaches for the ivory hilt of his rapier. He would have, without hesitation, a month ago. Hells, probably even a week ago. But today that first reaction twitch is quickly followed by the thought: what would Zelena do? Even so, he's ready to draw should the bravos force it to that and he almost hopes they do.

"Cortessa guard me; Zelena, you're going to get me killed," he mutters.

Plastering a smile on his face he continues to amble forward; not quite directly towards the bravos but just off a bit so as not to seem too threatening. He glances towards the bravos to see if they bear the intertwining tentacles of the Krakens or any of the other markings of the biggers gangs of Ranocchio.

"Not much, just three fellows on a stroll with my grandfather, Milo, having a bit of a disagreement. What say we let him up and see if I can fix the problem to your satisfaction."



[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: to E8
Standard: begin an attempt at Diplomacy...
Diplomacy: 1d20+11=19

Also, get some rest and don't worry about the map; it looks fine.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 40
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: nothing

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
Fury's attempt at reason is met with a malicious, gap-toothed grin by the toughest-looking of the three bravos. "Yer grandfather, eh? You two don't e'xactly look alike. But we can take care o' that..." The tough turns to his two greener-looking companions. "Boys, why don't you do your part and make this 'ere fella look like the beaten, ground-huggin', defeated sod that poor ol' Milo already is?" Clearly having needed only the minimum of encouragement, the pair of younger bravos advance on Fury, each drawing a battered-looking rapier in the process.

Even as Fury sees that he's getting his wish, the two move to flank him from the north and the south; as they close in, Fury is struck by how young they are, easily short of his 19 years of age. He's no time to dwell on this fact, though, as the pair attack with a surprisingly coordinated flash of their readied blades. His instinct taking over, Fury dodges both of them easily. From across the square, he hears the remaining bravo groan aloud in a realization that Fury isn't just an average resident of the Planks out for a stroll.
[sblock=OOC]Your attempt at diplomacy failed; the two younger bravos move in and miss with their attacks. You're up.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-11.png
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Fury steps back towards the alley, he doesn't like being hemmed in, and draws his rapier.

"Whoa there, boys. No need to get all pushy just on the say-so of some thick-headed bully. But if you do, you really should take better care of your tools."

He whips the blade around and thrusts at the bravo in front of him.



[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Non-action: 5 ft step to D7
Move: draw rapier
Standard: attack Bravo 1
1d20+9=16, 1d6+3=5


[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 40
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
The bravo to the north opens up his mouth as if to retort, but his words are cut short by the deft flicker of Fury's blade. Clutching his side, the young man moves with Fury and attempts another swing, but Fury is able to parry the attack. In doing so, however, he leaves himself open from behind, and other threatening bravo takes advantage of this instant of exposure with his own weapon; Fury is able to twist at the last moment and avoid a grievous injury, but the moment serves as a reminder that anything can happen during a fight, even against those much younger and inexperienced than one's self.

From his position over the incapacitated old man, the older bravo gives a cry of success as he sees his crony's blade strike home. Pulling a cruel dagger from his belt, he calls out, "Let's see if we can even things a bit more, eh?" He lets the dagger sail, but Fury manages to duck the blade, which imbeds itself, quivering, into the doorway of a dilapidated shack at the edge of the square.
[sblock=OOC]Fury's attack is successful. Young bravo 1 misses on his, and number 2 lands a strike for 2 damage. The tough bravo throws a dagger at Fury and misses.

Also, don't mind the semi-instantaneous combat - it was pretty necessary to set the stage. :)[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-12.png
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Fury begins to smile.

"There we go! A few more like that and I might die of iron poisoning in a couple of weeks. Still time to go back to playing jacks with the rest of the girls."

He makes a move to dash to the east but instead goes west and stabs at the bravo who came up behind him.



[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Non-action: 5 ft step to E6
Move: feint Bravo 2; Bluff: 1d20+9=16
Standard: attack Bravo 2; 1d20+9=10, 1d6+3=9, 2d6=5; AC 10 for 14 if feint successful, 9 if not. But I'm guessing AC 10 is a miss.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 38
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
Fury's feint sends the younger man reeling momentarily, but his swing catches a fence post lining the building to the south, so he's unable to take advantage of the opening. Sneering, the young bravo retaliates, but he's only marginally more successful in his aim.

His companion, meanwhile, attempts to roll behind Fury to continue to maintain a flank. This proves to be a fatal error, however, as Fury's blade catches the man in mid-roll across the chest and down his side, leaving a serious wound. The man staggers, stopped in his path, and seems momentarily at a loss as to how to react to the sight of so much of his own blood.

The remaining bravo across the square shakes his head at the duo's lack of success. "It's like me pa always said: if you want someone stuck right, stick the bastard yerself." As he speaks, the man begins moving towards the fray, drawing a pair of wicked-looking daggers as he does so. Upon reaching Fury, he lashes out with one of them, but Fury continues his successful defense against their attacks. The man's face contorts with frustration accordingly.
[sblock=OOC]Fury's fake was successful, but it's hard to hit when you roll a natural 1. ;) Bravo 2 missed, and Bravo 1 attempted to tumble through D6 and failed, provoking an AoO. Fury landed a hit for 6 damage, which put Bravo 1 at 0 HP; he's staggered. The Tough Bravo missed with his attack.

Yer up.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-13.png
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
"Nah, ah, ah! That sort of trick'll get you nothing but trouble," Fury says to the young bravo who attempted to tumble past him. "See?! Now if I were you, I'd slip away home before the rest of your life-blood stains those clothes of yours.

Three on one is hardly sporting now,"
he says to the second young bravo. "So I'm gonna give you one last chance to back off and save your own life and get a little more practice with that pig-sticker you got there."

Fury feints a thrust at the second young bravo but twists around and continues the lunge towards the older tough instead. "I told you," he says to the younger less injured bravo, "you got one more chance to skedaddle. I keep my word, even if you don't deserve that courtesy."



[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: feint Tough Bravo; Bluff: 1d20+9=18
Standard: attack Tough Bravo; 1d20+9=16, 1d6+3=8, 2d6=7: AC 16 for 8 dmg, +7 dmg w/SA
Non-action: 5 ft step to E5[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 38
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
Fury's feint sets the trio's ringleader off balance, and the man pays dearly for his instability, as Fury's rapier rakes him deftly in a near-fatal pass. The man takes a few steps back, seemingly reeling, and the others follow his lead; for a moment, it seems as though they've gotten the message, and are taking Fury's comments to heart.

This perception of events is short-lived, however: the remaining healthy bravo reaches into his pack and tosses his leader a small vial filled with a thick green liquid. Having sheathed one of his daggers during his move, the man catches the vial and downs its contents in a single, desperate gulp. Even as Fury watches, the man's wounds heal themselves almost completely. The bravo grins lop-sidedly, wagging his dagger at Fury. "You didn't think you'd be gettin' rid o' me that easily, did ya? Now come 'ere, Funny Man, and let's get serious."

[sblock=Actions]Fury's feint and attack were both successful.

YB1 - 5' step
YB2 - 5' step, draw potion, throw potion
TB - move/sheath weapon, drink potion[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-14.png
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Fury is dismayed when the tough bravo downs a potion and heals the wound Fury dealt him but he tries not to let it show.

"You want serious? I can do serious."

His face goes blank and he assesses the situation. Surely the tough wants him to race up in expectation of a fair duel and then his little tough-in-training step up behind to put Fury at a disadvantage. But he's in control, not the jangle that in the past pushed him to act rashly (and quite likely will again in the future). And one thing he learned from Borric: sometimes slow and methodical wins the fight.

He turns towards the youth and gives him his blank stare. "I gave you a chance to leave and you didn't do it." Fury closes, drawing his sap as he moves, and calmly buries the blade of his rapier in the bravo's belly.



[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: to E7
Standard: attack Bravo 2; 1d20+9=25, 1d6+3=9: AC 25 for 9 dmg[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 38
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier and sap

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
His eyes widening as he watches Fury's blade reemerge from his stomach, the grievously wounded young bravo attempts a retaliatory strike. Although it misses, it serves as enough of a distraction to enable the elder bravo to move nimbly into position on the opposite side of Fury. His face one of grim concentration, all swagger and jest gone for the moment, he swings one dagger in a blurred arc, attempting to catch Fury across the throat. Swerving to keep the man within his vision, Fury is able to dodge the blade at the last moment.

As he steadies himself, Fury notices with dismay that the remaining bravo is drinking a potion of his own, which he clearly managed to draw whilst Fury was distracted. Once again, Fury watches helplessly as a nearly incapacitated opponent heals magically before his eyes. Grinning, the young man regrips his rapier and raises it, clearly intent on fighting unto the end. Fury can't help but wonder why common street toughs would come so prepared when mugging a seemingly-defenseless old man.
[sblock=OOC]Fury's attack was successful. YB2 and TB both miss. YB1 drinks a cure potion, looks to be pretty well healed up, though not completely. Also, FYI, TB redrew his other dagger during his move.

I feel like I should give a word of encouragement here, though I think none is needed: Fury's toasting these guys, they just came ready for the worst. ;)

Also, as I type this, it looks like you're at 3,333 posts - I just get a kick out of that sort of thing. ;)[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-15.png
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

GlassEye

First Post
Fury notices the other young bravo down a potion and he shakes his head.

"You, too? Cortessa's teats! I thought you lot would be smarter than that."

He focuses on the young bravo in front of him and gives the wrist of the hand holding his sap a flick towards the boy's temple. Once his attack is made he tumbles past to give himself a bit of space.



[sblock=Actions/OOC]Hey, no problem! I'm loving it. Fury gets to dance around a combat and chatter at his opponents. Too bad he doesn't have Intimidate so that it could actually have an effect but it's fun to do anyway.

Standard: attack Bravo 2; 1d20+8=15, 1d6+2=3: AC 15 for 3 dmg, nonlethal
Move: tumble to G9 1d20+17=32
[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 38
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier and sap

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
Fury's sap connects squarely with the side of the young man's head, sending the inexperienced bravo crashing to the ground in an unceremonious end to his participation in the fight; even as he moves to tumble away for some extra space, Fury is certain that this time his damage will remain.

Fury comes out of his roll and collects his bearings just in time to dodge the pair of daggers which the eldest bravo had sent his way. Attempting to conceal his increasing concern over having finally picked a fight he can't easily win, the man says, "My, but you're a spry one. Why don't you stop dancin' and fight like a man, with the man of the group?" His voiced lack of confidence in his remaining companion does little to bolster the young man's will to fight; he moves to Fury's right, his blade raised against any impending assault, but makes no attempt to move on Fury himself.

Out of the corner of his eye, Fury sees their original victim, the old man they called Milo, stir, although he remains on the ground for the time being.
[sblock=OOC]Glad you're having fun! It is, of course, always a good thing to know. ;)

Fury connects with his attack, causing enough nonlethal damage to put the man under (nice little trick, btw). The tough bravo takes a 5' step, full-attacks with two thrown daggers; both miss. The young bravo moves.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-16.png
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Fury laughs as the tough bravo tries to shame him into fighting fair.

"My poor, unenlightened friend, the duel is the dance and we've been dueling ever since I stepped foot in this plaza. You just want me to stand still because you're too old and slow to land a blow."

Nevertheless, Fury obliges the tough and dashes forward engaging in a series of rapid slashes and thrusts which get parried by the bravo's flashing daggers. Though he doesn't want to draw attention back to the old man Fury will keep an eye out for him hoping he isn't injured too badly.



[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: to D6
Standard: attack Tough Bravo; 1d20+9=13, 1d6+3=6: AC 13 for 6 dmg; I'm guessing that's not enough for a hit.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 38
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier and sap

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
The tougher-looking bravo manages to draw another pair of daggers at the last moment, using them to fend off Fury's latest attack. He takes a swipe, misses, then backs off, putting a bit of space between him and Fury. Panting slightly, the man continues his brash pronouncements, in spite of his inability to actually harm Fury thus far. Pointing at Fury with one of his daggers, he says, "Big words, friend. But look at yer - you're cut from the same cloth as the rest of us." His other hand gestures to the crumbling hovels and byways of Ranocchio. "You're in no position to be callin' others 'unenlightened.'" His face twists into a sneer. "Yer nothin' special."

As if on cue, his companion rushes in, swinging his rapier in a wide arc. Fury sees him coming, but is unable to get completely out of the way, owing to the absence of immediately available avenues of retreat; the man's blade grazes him in a superficial wound that nevertheless manages to draw some blood. The young bravo's face is a picture of satisfaction at the small victory.

[sblock=OOC]Fury's attack is a miss (AC for the tough is 16, for the young is 15, btw - should have mentioned it earlier). TB misses, YB hits for 2 damage. At this rate, they'll have down Fury in another 15 rounds or so. ;)[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-17.png
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Fury smiles though it is tinged with the sad awareness of just exactly who he is, where he came from, and how he came to be the person he is. He nods.

"I'm the same as you. Took a different path to end up here in this courtyard than you, perhaps. But we're both still here in Planks."

Turning his attention back to the young bravo he continues:

"Not a bad touch. If you hadn't twisted your arm quite so much it could have been worse for me. You're twisting your aim off of true and ended up giving me a scratch instead of a nice, solid strike."

He attempts to demonstrate but stumbles and doesn't even come close to hitting the youth.



[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: Bluff to feint: 1d20+9=21
Standard: attack Young Bravo; 1d20+9=10, 1d6+3=9, 2d6=9: AC 10. Yep, now we're back to normal GE rolls...[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 36
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier and sap

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]
 

Qik

First Post
Fury's stumble allows the youth the time needed to recoup from the imbalance caused by Fury's own maneuver. Taking a step to his left, he brings his rapier around, hard, forcing Fury to grip his own weapon in both hands momentarily to stave off the blow. While Fury's defense is successful, it affords the young bravo's companion the opening he's been looking for. Stepping in, he swings both his daggers, catching Fury once across the back and opening a nasty gash.

"Thanks for the advice, sensei!"
snarls the man victoriously.

[sblock=OOC]Fury whiffs, the young bravo whiffs, the tough bravo lands a blow for 9 damage (thanks to sneak attack).

At least giving him two weapon fighting doesn't feel like a waste anymore![/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-18.png
[/sblock]
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top