[LPF] Fury Steps In

Qik

First Post
Here we go, @GlassEye . I'm really looking forward to this, and I hope it does a decent job of addressing some of your hopes for Fury's character.

As this is a solo, I have a hard time gauging its scope, but my guess is that it lies at the shorter end of the spectrum. Depending on how things go, both in my real life and in-game, maybe we can end up expanding things; we'll play that by ear. In the meantime, hope you enjoy it!

Judge: IronWolf
GM: Qik
PC: Orlando Furioso (GlassEye)

[sblock=Encounter Rewards]Encounter 1: 1400 XP, 1049 GP worth of gear
Encounter 2: 800 XP, 390 GP
Encounter 3: 400 XP
Encounter 4: 800 XP, 635 GP in gear, 250 GP in coins (120 given away), Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (2000 gp)
Encounter 5: 700 XP, 400 GP in coins[/sblock][sblock=Time-based Rewards]Reached level 6 on Feb.14[/sblock]

Last edited:

Qik

First Post
As the sunny Venzan afternoon turned to dusk in anticipation of night, Orlando Furioso, the former bravo hunter and native of the Planks, strolled along the outskirts of the district of his birth. The pleasant afternoon weather was somewhat stymied by the dismal surroundings: hovels built on unsteady lifts, perched with varying degrees of perilousness over the waterways of the city, children playing in blackened water, clothed in rags, their mothers nowhere in sight, and presumably no better off. For Fury, the familiarity of the scene did little to lessen its detestablity; witnessing his home would almost undoubtedly be an experience tinged with bittersweetness, if not out-and-out alarm and scorn.

[sblock=OOC]Apologies for just plopping you in there; had I thought it through beforehand, I would have warned you that I'd planned to start with you in Ranocchio. Feel free to devise your own justification for Fury's presence there (as long as it isn't a pressing matter...), or to leave it altogether unsaid.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Thanks a lot, Qik! I'm going to enjoy this, too. I appreciate this chance. And no problem with dropping Fury in Ranocchio; he goes back there on a fairly regular basis as a reminder of what he came from. I figure that over the past few weeks of his existence he's decided that the only way a change will come to Planks is if someone stands up to do it. So he's taking that first step...[/sblock]

Orlando Furioso, or 'Fury' as people are wont to call him, looks out across Ranocchio, his not-quite beloved Planks with dismay and a growing sense that it could be better if only someone would take a stand. He never thought it would be himself. The first step, however, would be moving back into the district and that required a place to stay.

"Just you and me... and all the other low-lifes."

He pulls his cloak tighter around himself and heads off deeper into the darkening byways of Planks.

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 40
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: nothing

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Fury walks the byways of the Planks, taking in the familiar sights and sounds and keeping an eye out for possible future lodgings. Although the thought of once again taking residence in such a gloomy locale isn't exactly cause for celebration, Fury recognizes the need for a positive presence in the district, and his increasingly strong sense of self, honed by his recent professional work, seems to have given him the strength of character to understand that moving back is his choice, and that he's a different person than when last he lived in Ranocchio.

Partially lost in such thoughts, Fury rounds a corner, coming upon a small dirt square formed at the intersection of several streets. In the corner opposite to him, three bravos are huddled together. At first, Fury thinks them to be simply idling away the evening in typical Bravo fashion. A second look, however, tells a different story: the three seem to have surrounded an elderly man, who now lies on the ground, stricken with fear even as his visage carries an element of defiance. As Fury processes what he sees, the larger of the three bravos, clearly the ringleader, spits on the elderly man. "The way I see it, Milo me ol' boy, you need to relearn your place in the scheme of things. Just think of us as the teachers. And this" - the bravo speaking kicks the man squarely in the gut, knocking the wind out of him - "as your first lesson."

With the lecturing thug's attention turned towards the man on the ground, one of his companions looks over his shoulder and catches sight of Fury. "Hey!" he yells, "What're you looking at?"

[sblock=OOC]You won initiative, so you can enter into combat mode if you want, or are welcome to speak first (although depending on how they take what you say, this may allow them to act first). As it stands, the trio is flat-footed.

Also, forgive the crudity of the map; I'm in full-on jetlag mode at the moment (flew from England to New Orleans yesterday), so my aesthetic capabilities are far from optimum.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-1.png
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury's fingers twitch and he almosts reaches for the ivory hilt of his rapier. He would have, without hesitation, a month ago. Hells, probably even a week ago. But today that first reaction twitch is quickly followed by the thought: what would Zelena do? Even so, he's ready to draw should the bravos force it to that and he almost hopes they do.

"Cortessa guard me; Zelena, you're going to get me killed," he mutters.

Plastering a smile on his face he continues to amble forward; not quite directly towards the bravos but just off a bit so as not to seem too threatening. He glances towards the bravos to see if they bear the intertwining tentacles of the Krakens or any of the other markings of the biggers gangs of Ranocchio.

"Not much, just three fellows on a stroll with my grandfather, Milo, having a bit of a disagreement. What say we let him up and see if I can fix the problem to your satisfaction."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: to E8
Standard: begin an attempt at Diplomacy...
Diplomacy: 1d20+11=19

Also, get some rest and don't worry about the map; it looks fine.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand: nothing

Qik

First Post
Fury's attempt at reason is met with a malicious, gap-toothed grin by the toughest-looking of the three bravos. "Yer grandfather, eh? You two don't e'xactly look alike. But we can take care o' that..." The tough turns to his two greener-looking companions. "Boys, why don't you do your part and make this 'ere fella look like the beaten, ground-huggin', defeated sod that poor ol' Milo already is?" Clearly having needed only the minimum of encouragement, the pair of younger bravos advance on Fury, each drawing a battered-looking rapier in the process.

Even as Fury sees that he's getting his wish, the two move to flank him from the north and the south; as they close in, Fury is struck by how young they are, easily short of his 19 years of age. He's no time to dwell on this fact, though, as the pair attack with a surprisingly coordinated flash of their readied blades. His instinct taking over, Fury dodges both of them easily. From across the square, he hears the remaining bravo groan aloud in a realization that Fury isn't just an average resident of the Planks out for a stroll.
[sblock=OOC]Your attempt at diplomacy failed; the two younger bravos move in and miss with their attacks. You're up.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-11.png
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury steps back towards the alley, he doesn't like being hemmed in, and draws his rapier.

"Whoa there, boys. No need to get all pushy just on the say-so of some thick-headed bully. But if you do, you really should take better care of your tools."

He whips the blade around and thrusts at the bravo in front of him.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Non-action: 5 ft step to D7
Move: draw rapier
Standard: attack Bravo 1
1d20+9=16, 1d6+3=5

[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand: rapier

Qik

First Post
The bravo to the north opens up his mouth as if to retort, but his words are cut short by the deft flicker of Fury's blade. Clutching his side, the young man moves with Fury and attempts another swing, but Fury is able to parry the attack. In doing so, however, he leaves himself open from behind, and other threatening bravo takes advantage of this instant of exposure with his own weapon; Fury is able to twist at the last moment and avoid a grievous injury, but the moment serves as a reminder that anything can happen during a fight, even against those much younger and inexperienced than one's self.

From his position over the incapacitated old man, the older bravo gives a cry of success as he sees his crony's blade strike home. Pulling a cruel dagger from his belt, he calls out, "Let's see if we can even things a bit more, eh?" He lets the dagger sail, but Fury manages to duck the blade, which imbeds itself, quivering, into the doorway of a dilapidated shack at the edge of the square.
[sblock=OOC]Fury's attack is successful. Young bravo 1 misses on his, and number 2 lands a strike for 2 damage. The tough bravo throws a dagger at Fury and misses.

Also, don't mind the semi-instantaneous combat - it was pretty necessary to set the stage. :)[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-12.png
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury begins to smile.

"There we go! A few more like that and I might die of iron poisoning in a couple of weeks. Still time to go back to playing jacks with the rest of the girls."

He makes a move to dash to the east but instead goes west and stabs at the bravo who came up behind him.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Non-action: 5 ft step to E6
Move: feint Bravo 2; Bluff: 1d20+9=16
Standard: attack Bravo 2; 1d20+9=10, 1d6+3=9, 2d6=5; AC 10 for 14 if feint successful, 9 if not. But I'm guessing AC 10 is a miss.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

HP: 40 Current: 38

In Hand: rapier

Qik

First Post
Fury's feint sends the younger man reeling momentarily, but his swing catches a fence post lining the building to the south, so he's unable to take advantage of the opening. Sneering, the young bravo retaliates, but he's only marginally more successful in his aim.

His companion, meanwhile, attempts to roll behind Fury to continue to maintain a flank. This proves to be a fatal error, however, as Fury's blade catches the man in mid-roll across the chest and down his side, leaving a serious wound. The man staggers, stopped in his path, and seems momentarily at a loss as to how to react to the sight of so much of his own blood.

The remaining bravo across the square shakes his head at the duo's lack of success. "It's like me pa always said: if you want someone stuck right, stick the bastard yerself." As he speaks, the man begins moving towards the fray, drawing a pair of wicked-looking daggers as he does so. Upon reaching Fury, he lashes out with one of them, but Fury continues his successful defense against their attacks. The man's face contorts with frustration accordingly.
[sblock=OOC]Fury's fake was successful, but it's hard to hit when you roll a natural 1. ;) Bravo 2 missed, and Bravo 1 attempted to tumble through D6 and failed, provoking an AoO. Fury landed a hit for 6 damage, which put Bravo 1 at 0 HP; he's staggered. The Tough Bravo missed with his attack.

Yer up.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-13.png
[/sblock]

Remove ads