[LPF] Fury Steps In

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury grimaces at the cut but he's had worse. He only hopes it isn't worse today now that he doesn't have one of his friends with him to back him up. He flicks a glance over to see how the old man is doing, whether he's come around or not.

"That's three and three, isn't it?"

Keeping his attention on the young bravo he steps back to get out of the pinch the two have him in and again feints. Surprised they aren't catching on to that move... Whether the youth is distracted or not, Fury stabs unsuccessfully at him. ...Then again, maybe they are. He frowns in concentration.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Yeah, since I multi-classed into a sub-optimal combat class for a broader ability/skill base I figured I couldn't afford the penalty for two-weapon fighting.

Non-action: 5 ft step to E5
Move: Bluff to feint (again): 1d20+9=12. CMD 12, hmm, probably not.
Standard: attack Young Bravo; 1d20+9=11, 1d6+3=5, 2d6=2: AC 11. Another miss...[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 27
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand: rapier and sap

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Fury sees the old man up on his hands and knees, watching the fight intently. More than anything, he seems confused to see a would-be savior fighting on his behalf.

"I wasn't keeping score," grunts the tough bravo, "just looking for the end-game." The man steps in and swings both daggers, hard; each comes within an inch of Fury, but both miss. The man grits his teeth, frustration returning.

His companion attempts his own attack, but while he seems to have figured out Fury's feints for the time being, he can't manage to find much of a path through his defenses.

[sblock=OOC]Misses all around.

Yeah, I've never played a two-weapon fighter myself (still fairly new to D20s), but my hunch is that I'd be dissatisfied with the circumstantial nature of the mechanics. I suppose that's the nice thing about GMing: I get to try out builds without much pressure. If I start throwing monk builds at you with UC mechanics, that'll be why. ;)[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-19.png
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury shrugs having little to say at the moment and focuses on the attack. While he would dearly like to teach the boy a lesson the tougher bravo seems the greater threat and the leader of this little gang and so shifts his attention to him. Once again he tries to fake out his opponent and take advantage of the opening presented. Catching the man off guard just enough he feels his blade skitter along the edge of a rib before slipping past.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: Bluff to feint Tough Bravo: 1d20+9=15 CMD 15, not sure about that one.
Standard: attack Tough Bravo; 1d20+9=16, 1d6+3=7, 2d6=10: AC 16 (Yay!) for 7 dmg, +10 with SA.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

Qik

First Post
Fury's blade does indeed find its mark, the tough bravo is able to anticipate his movement's enough to avoid a killer blow. His hand instinctively going to his chest for a moment, clearly in pain, the man nevertheless grins. "Not through with me yet, local boy."

The tough leaps forward, both daggers flashing, but Fury is able to hold his own from his current, very defensible position, and the man fails to find his mark. His companion is similarly unlucky. Gritting his teeth, the elder bravo puts a bit of space between himself and Fury, with his younger counterpart following suit.

[sblock=OOC]So, I originally typed up this post, then went and checked to see if the DC for a successful feint was one's CMD: it's not, it's either 10+Wis+BAB, or 10+Sense Motive, whichever's higher. The former was lower than 15, so I typed up a different post, then decided to check his Sense Motive (duh), which was 16, so - back to the original. Long day. ;)

Fury gets the attack sans sneak attack; it's pretty clear the bravo is failing at this point. Both of them miss. You're up.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-110.png
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
A quick assessment shows that going after the tough bravo would leave himself open to a surrounding attack by both... unless he managed to put the bravo down. Taking a small risk he steps up so that he is almost between the two men, feints an outside high attack, and comes in low with intent to end this as rapidly as possible.

"It is time, my friend..."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Sorry, I've been adding 'CMD' onto my Bluff attempts. Guess I should learn my own abilities. ;)

Non-action: 5 ft step to E6
Move: Bluff to feint Tough Bravo: 1d20+9=20 20...
Standard: attack Tough Bravo; 1d20+9=10, 1d6+3=4, 2d6=4: AC 10, darn it, can't seem to get those two rolls to synch up.[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

Qik

First Post
Fury's risk assessment proves to be correct, which makes it unfortunate that his execution is flawed: his attempt to go after the tougher bravo leaves himself significantly exposed, and for the second time, his most dangerous foe is able to capitalize.

The pair step in in tandem, blades flying. Fury parries the younger bravo's easily, and manages to deflect one of the tough bravo's daggers with his sap, but the other one catches him across the side, opening another significant wound. His opponent jeers at him.

"I was thinking the same thing, my friend; at least one of us is good on his word!"

[sblock=OOC]No worries! Like I said, I ended up looking it up myself, b/c I wasn't quite sure. Anyways, I appreciate you posting the numbers like that (makes my life that much easier), so it isn't a problem.

Also, I assumed you meant to move to D6; you said E6, but all your other text suggested D (otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to target the tough bravo). Hopefully I'm correct; if not, I'll retcon it.

Fury misses. YB misses. TB hits once for 12 damage.[/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-111.png
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Bleeding from several wounds Fury makes another desperate attempt to end the battle. He tricks the bravo into believing his attack is coming from a different quarter but then only manages to tangle his blade in the fabric of the bravo's shirt. Ripping his blade free he steps back so that his two opponents are in front of him instead of on either side.

"I know a good tailor... Oh, and your word means little to me."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
You are correct; it was supposed to be D6. At first I was going to have Fury play it safe then changed my mind and forgot to change the target square.

Move: Bluff to feint Tough Bravo: 1d20+9=24 Bluff AC 24
Standard: attack Tough Bravo; 1d20+9=15, 1d6+3=7, 2d6=9: AC 15, close...
Non-action: 5 ft step to E5[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

HP: 40 Current: 15

Qik

First Post
Fury's blade seems to move in slow motion as it slashes through the man's shirt, passing within a hair's breadth of exposed stomach just below his leather armor. The man pauses for a moment as Fury retreats back into the alley, then steps forward, swinging his pair of daggers once again. One of them manages to penetrate Fury's armor, burying itself momentarily into his shoulder. Fury winces in pain; clearly, he's had better days.

The younger bravo lashes out once more, but continues to catch nothing but air with his blade.

[sblock=OOC]Well heck, this sure has turned into an epic battle. ;)

Fury misses, TB lands one blow for 7 damage, YB misses (poor guy can't seem to hit a barn). Yer up; good luck![/sblock][sblock=Map]
ranocchio-112.png
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury remembers a trick he learned from hanging out with some of the more experienced duelists: sometimes it is better, especially when things have been going against you, to work your defense and try to avoid getting hit again... So Fury tries it, weaving his blade about in such a fashion as to leave little room for his opponents to strike him. As his blade flashes about in defense he can't resist putting a little flick into it so that the blade nicks the bravo's ear. Surprisingly the man flinches away from it just enough for Fury, sensing his moment, to drop the swordtip lower and thrust. He smiles in grim satisfaction as he punctures flesh.

"As I was saying before you interrupted me: It is time to end this."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Fury will use his combat expertise for a -1 to hit & a +1 to AC (now AC 21)

Move: Bluff to feint Tough Bravo: 1d20+9=18 Bluff AC 18
Standard: attack Tough Bravo; 1d20+8=21, 1d6+3=7, 2d6=8: AC 21 for 7 dmg, +8 SA
Non-action: 5 ft step to F4[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

HP: 40 Current: 8

Qik

First Post
The tougher bravo's face doesn't have time to register his sense of shock at the mortal wound before he drops to the ground, moments away from death. His companion needs only a single look at his former leader's current condition to decide that, for all intents and purposes, this fight is over. The young man bolts east, towards the opposite ally, hastily sheathing his weapon in the process.

As he passes Milo, Fury sees the old man reach out in a vain attempt to tackle the young man; the bravo dodges his efforts easily, leaping over Milo's outstretched arms and dashing into the ally. Milo turns to Fury, a desperate look on his face. "Please! Catch him!" The urgency in his voice is palpable.

[sblock=OOC]Congrats! That was an epic opening battle, and I enjoyed the banter. Glad they had those potions, too, otherwise it would have been something of a letdown. ;) Fury netted 1400 XP for the encounter (one of the perks of a solo adventure, I suppose, is not having to split XP...); we'll sort out the GP end through and after this next part - an acrobatics skill challenge (should Fury indeed give chase, of course...).

Basically, it'll be in two parts, the first of which requires Fury to successfully navigate through the planks at high speed in chase of the young man. What I'd like to start with is three rolls plus the flavor text (the latter of which could be good for a bonus if needed). I'll respond from there, and we'll likely need another series of rolls, and then (hopefully), onto part two.

Go get 'em![/sblock]

Remove ads