• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Fury Steps In

Qik

First Post
"Very well. My father told me to never argue if someone wanted to give you money.

Milo smiles his broad smile. "Sounds like a damn smart man to me."

"So, who are you meeting with tomorrow, and what do you hope to accomplish? And what do you expect from me? Forgive the questions, but I've learned it's best to head into any situation with as much foreknowledge as possible."

Milo waves off Fury's apology, clearly not in need of it. "I've arranged a meeting with some of the White Cloaks high-ups. Truth be told, I'm not sure who exactly is going to be representing them. I've gotten to know Commander Galen Parsons over the years in my efforts to make the Planks a safer place, even though Ranocchio isn't under his direct purview; he's the one who helped get me this meeting, so I imagine he'll be there, but I know little beyond that. Hopefully it'll be a decent showing: the more, the better, for our purposes."

"As to what I intend to accomplish..."
Milo pauses for a moment, frowning. "Well, I'm not exactly sure. At this point, just getting someone with a title before their name to listen to me is in itself an accomplishment. The White Cloaks have all but written off the Planks - as I'm sure you know - so my hope is to convince them that there's something worth putting the effort into to save, that there are people here like you and myself who just want to live peaceably, to make a life for themselves and their families, that we are in fact the majority. I get the sense every time I talk to an outsider that they think the Planks is filled with nothing but bravos and prostitutes..."

Milo stops himself here, though it's clear that he could go a lot further down this line of thinking. "As for what you can do - you mean, besides getting me there without an interlude in the dirt once again?" He chuckles. "Well, you're from here - you know what it's like, and you've taken a different path than the aforementioned bravos and nightwomen. You're an example of what kind of people can come from the Planks: strong-willed, honest, willing to work to better themselves, and willing to help others along. Maybe seeing such an example is all it will take to force the White Cloaks to take us more seriously. To take Ranocchio more seriously."

Milo pauses once again, before saying, "You'd said you had some experience working with the commander of the Planks here - what was your impression of him? How well did you get to know him? That relationship might come in handy."

[sblock=OOC]Although I'd done a bit of research into Fury's exploits before writing this little adventure, I'd missed his meeting with the Planks commander - :blush: - so any info on him would be helpful, not to mention greatly appreciated.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury's cheeks flush red.

"Ah, well, as to that... Likely not. Commander Beppe Handso and I had words. He's a glutton who thinks he's deserving of more, whether it be food or prestige or women or... whatever it is he wants. He's condescending and stupid." Fury shakes his head. "And he managed to rile me like I haven't allowed myself to be riled in quite a while. He's a... difficult man to take. If he's there then I don't have high hopes for accomplishing anything but then I don't know this Commander Parsons or how much influence he might have."

Fury thinks a moment. "We were ultimately unable to find this killer Handso had us searching for and, therefore, didn't make him look the hero like he wanted. I may end up being a liability to the cause if he remembers me. If he's the one we're dealing with, of course. If the city had any sense they would have replaced him by now."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Move: --
Standard: --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 19
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Milo nods his head in agreement of Fury's assessment of Commander Handso. "Well said. It's his narrow-sightedness and self-preoccupation that forced me to try and arrange a meeting like this in the first place. While Handso may very well be in attendance, I doubt he'll be running the show. Besides, the good commander isn't used to being talked back to much - it'll be worth having you there just to see the look on his face when you walk in!"

Milo chuckles slightly and then finishes the last of his wine. Staring out the darkened window, he says, "Well, it's getting late, and the meeting is scheduled for tomorrow morning, which means it's time for me to turn in." Looking around the small space, he adds, "You're welcome to stay here - we have a bedroll I can roll out for you. Otherwise, just be here about half past sunrise, which is when I plan to set out."
[sblock=OOC]Thanks for the info on Handso, it'll come in handy. I think that's the biggest difficult in running an adventure like this in E'n - there's so much backstory, from so many different sources, that it's hard to know it all prior to setting out. At least it is for me, since I have a predilection for doing things off the cuff.

With that in mind, I already have it planned as to who will be present at the meeting, but if there's any info on the structure or members of the White Cloaks I should be sure to have looked at, feel free to point me in the right direction, and I'll make the appropriate adjustments. The wiki didn't seem to have much, so I was planning on inventing a higher ranking official myself. If that isn't necessary, just let me know. Either way, at the end of this adventure, I'll see about culling together some information on the White Cloaks and putting it up on the wiki.

Not to make you do all the leg work for me! :)[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury glances around the room. There is something about it that gives it a loved, lived-in feeling. Something he hasn't experienced in a long while and he is surprisingly reluctant to let that go.

"If it's not a trouble I can stretch out there on the floor. Might be better than going out to find a flophouse and then I'll be here ready to go when you need me."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]It doesn't help that important NPCs and places, like Handso, aren't on the wiki so the only way to know this information is if you were involved in the adventure where it came to light.

Handso & Parsons are the only things I know for certain about the White Cloaks. They have a structure that includes Commanders but what exactly that means I don't know. I think there is a strong implication in Soul Indiscretion that Handso is Commander of Rannochio's White Cloaks which in turn would imply that each district is run by a Commander. Beyond that, I don't think it has been addressed and you are free to elaborate the story/structure as much as you like. Sorry, no real, hard details in that for you.;)

Standard: --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
[sblock=OOC]No worries - I'm happy to invent as long as I'm free to.[/sblock]

Milo smiles wide at Fury. "No trouble at all - we're happy to have ya."

The older man busies himself about shifting about the chairs in order to make a space for the bedroll, deflecting Fury's offers for help at every turn; he has the bed ready in short order, and the pair soon turn in for the evening.

Milo's awakening of Fury comes perhaps a tad too early, depending on the latter's opinion of early mornings. The freshly brewed coffee he offers perhaps helps to ease the transition to waking life, however. Coupled with a pair of cold scones Milo pulls from a jar on the counter, it makes for simple but satisfying breakfast. After a kiss on his wife's cheek, Milo hurries himself out the door. Fury can sense his eagerness to get to the meeting.

The walk to Roses D'Avorio is thankfully without incident; it seems that whomever was behind yesterday's ambush had been without a backup plan. The transition from the impoverished surroundings of the Planks to the opulence of Roses is jarring, to say the least, and Milo remarks on the discrepancy, snorting, "No wonder it's hard to get the White Cloaks to do anything of substance for the Planks: I'd be hard-pressed to feel urgency too if I spent all my time in the Roses." As if on cue, the barracks of White Cloaks comes into view at precisely this moment.

Once inside, the pair are greeted by an attendant who asks for the purpose of their visit, staring blankly when Milo mentions the meeting. A stretch of minor confusion ensues, with the pair waiting for the greater part of 45 minutes as the attendant and the attendant's attendants work - with a notable lack of urgency - to divine the location of the meeting. The two are occasionally forced to repeat the purpose of their visit to one or another of the attendants, and at one point, Fury's possession of weaponry is questioned, at which point Milo steps in gruffly and identifies him as "his hired bodyguard." After a little fuss, the White Cloak administrator seems satisfied with this explanation. The wait and accompanying lack of expectancy for his visit seem to dampen Milo's enthusiasm somewhat, but he manages to remain mostly undeterred.

Finally, the two are ushered down a labyrinth of corridors, past soldiers and bureaucrats alike, until they arrive at an unmarked door, where they are told the panel is waiting by their disinterested chauffeur, who then instantly abandons them. Milo pauses awkwardly outside the door, seemingly suddenly uncertain. Finally, he manages a weak smile. "Well - shall we?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Late nights in the Dunn Wright Inn haven't done much to prepare Fury for early mornings but he's always been one to wake quickly. After their quick breakfast Fury follows after Milo keeping an eye out for any possible threats. He nods at Milo's comment about the Roses. "It is easy to not think about what's across the canal." He shakes his head.

---

Bureaucracy at the White Cloak's HQ strains Fury's patience but he manages not to skewer half a dozen deserving clerks by thinking 'What would Zelena do?'. Finally, they are left outside a door and Fury turns to Milo and nods.

"We shall. Don't worry; you have this." He gives the old man a reassuring smile and opens the door.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Move: --

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
From the look on his face, Milo doesn't seem to share Fury's confidence. Nevertheless, he nods his ascent and leads the way into the room.

The room chosen for the meeting is small, perhaps presumably so given its out of the way location within the building. At one end of the room, seated behind a long table, are three men, who rise to exchange handshakes and introductions. Fury immediately recognizes the large form and red face of Commander Beppe Handso, seated to the far right, and from his wide eyes and terse nod, the commander mirrors his recognition; be it the presence of a superior or the formality of a summons to the White Cloaks headquarters, however, Commander Handso restrains himself uncharacteristically, although Fury can sense the man's discomfort in being in a situation so out of his control. Seated to the far left, clean cut and with chiseled features, is Commander Galen Parsons; Parsons seems a bit uncertain of what to think of Fury's presence, but his handshake is nonetheless strong and his gaze unwavering, though not unfriendly. Seated in the middle is a slightly older man - in his late fifties, perhaps - stern-faced and with an air of command, who introduces himself as Coordinator Abel Moretti. Over the course of the meeting, Fury comes to learn that his duties are primarily concerned with - surprise, surprise - coordinating White Cloaks forces and resources across Venza as a whole, and, as such, Moretti is the ranking officer within this meeting. In other words, he's the man who needs to be convinced.

Coordinator Moretti wastes no time getting down to business: he's clearly interested in keeping this meeting as short as possible. The Coordinator asks Milo to begin.

After thanking Commander Parsons for his part in setting up the meeting - a gesture which Commander Handso seems to take as a slight, given his authority in the Planks - Milo stands and delivers a short but inclusive assessment on the current state of the Planks (the prevalence of crime, prostitution, illicit trade, etc), the White Cloaks' current presence in the district (which seems to consist of a single, undermanned guard station; precautionary patrols are more or less absent), and what he thinks can be done to improve upon this situation (increasing the amount of troops in the district so as to allow for daily patrols of the area seems to be a particular sticking point for Milo). He finishes with an impassioned speech about the ordinary citizens of the Planks, how they are in the majority, and how it is the White Cloaks' duty to afford them the opportunity to live a normal life that is basically a rehash of his earlier discussion with Fury. Fury gets the sense the Milo has delivered this speech on numerous prior occasions. Having finished, Milo sits and waits for the Coordinator's reaction.

The reaction is mixed. Coordinator Moretti makes no bones about acknowledging the current state of the Planks. However, he doesn't seem to share Milo's belief that the majority of the Planks' residents wish to lead a lawful life: he points to past efforts to improve life in the district, seemingly all of which have failed, and the availability of low-rent housing in other districts. His attitude, in a nutshell, seems to be that residing in the Planks is a choice, and that that choice is generally made for illegitimate reasons. He acknowledges the exception of Milo's example, but attributes his continued residence in the district"to, forgive my bluntness, your own misguided perception of what Ranocchio could be." It seems that the Coordinator's bottom line is concerned primarily with an efficient use of resources, and "at this time, I don't feel as though even a minor increase of our presence in the district would have any impact on its conditions. Unless, of course, you have evidence otherwise."

Milo seems to struggle not to lose his temper. "With all due respect, Coordinator, how could I obtain such evidence without being given the opportunity in the form of an increased presence by the White Cloaks?" The coordinator is adamant, however, that this has been tried in the past, and to no avail. Fury senses that Milo's window of opportunity is closing rapidly.

[sblock=OOC]This is Fury's opportunity to "step in," as it were (unintentional reference there), should he wish to do so. Just FYI, it's wholly possible to proceed without him saying anything.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury steps forward and clears his throat. Clasping his hands behind his back he gives a slight bow to the three White Cloaks sitting in judgement and begins to speak.

"Excuse me, sir, but I must respectfully disagree. A minor increase in the White Cloak presence would have a tremendous impact in Ranocchio. Commander Handso and I have discussed at some length how his station is undermanned and those men that he does have in his command undertrained." Fury neglects to mention that discussion was brief and heated.

"You ask for evidence, Coordinator Moretti. Your very own Commander is evidence: a year past when those ghastly murders were occurring in Ranocchio Commander Handso used his own funds to supplement his forces and shut down the gangs involved. Unfortunately, one man cannot sustain that sort of effort indefinitely.

"A few more men, a small amount of resources allocated to training would give the criminals that have taken over our district pause and allow the good people, the common people, the working people opportunity to live their life without fear. I had the opportunity to escape as you have suggested we all do, Coordinator Moretti, and I did for a time but I went back. Why? Because my father lived in Ranocchio, cut reeds in Ranocchio; because my grandfather cut reeds in Ranocchio; because his father labored and loved in Ranocchio and when the Red Prince of Rhat'matanis and his fleet burned Gulls and stormed the city it was the laborers and sailors of Ranocchio, including my great-grandfather, who pushed them out of our home and into the sea. Our history is Ranocchio, our home is Ranocchio and we won't hide any longer nor will we allow men of black conscience keep us in fear in our own homes or cause us to flee. We only ask that you aid us in this work."

Fury stops and in the silence following almost seems embarrassed by his impassioned plea. He bows slightly, more a nod of respect than anything else.

"Ah, thank you, sirs, for listening."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Diplomacy, if needed: 1d20+11=20

In Hand:

Last edited:

Qik

First Post
The three White Cloaks and Milo listen in silence at Fury's testimony. The former's reaction is mixed - Commander Handso seems pleased at Fury's comments in his favor, Commander Parsons seems intent just to listen, and Coordinator Moretti's stone face gives nothing away - whilst that latter's is anything but: Milo's appreciation at Fury's intercession practically radiates outward. At the very least, Fury's willingness to speak out has secured him a lifelong friend. It's perhaps telling of Milo's priorities that speaking out in favor of cleaning up Ranocchio is what did so, rather than saving his life.

When Fury finishes, the Coordinator nods, seemingly thinking over his words carefully. Finally, he says, "Your words and passion are almost enough to make me renege on my earlier sentiments, son. That goes for both of you, really..." he adds hastily, gesturing to Milo. The Coordinator sighs, and for a moment, the steely formality of his position seems to melt into something much more human. "You'll have to forgive me, gentlemen; I don't mean to be uncaring towards your plight. It's only that the nature of my position is a delicate one, forcing me to balance the needs of the entirety of Venza: meeting the demands of one district means taking away from the resources of another. The case of Ranocchio has proved especially vexing: for the amount of manpower seemingly required to make an impact on the living conditions there, I could garrison half of Venza and still have men to spare to patrol the border with the Baronies. Do you see my conflict?" he asks rhetorically, slightly exasperated.

The Coordinator pauses a moment, collecting himself. He then turns to address Fury. "Tell me a little about yourself, young man. From what I understand, you've been hired as M. De Luca's bodyguard?"

[sblock=OOC]Not trying to make you repeat Fury's story once again, so feel free to keep it short if you'd like. Just seems pertinent, and the kind of thing the Coordinator would ask in the lead up to the next phase of the adventure.[/sblock]

Remove ads