log in or register to remove this ad

 

[LPF] Waking the Dead

GlassEye

First Post
Fight in the Forest

As Tasanto deliberately leaves himself open to the skeleton the undead thing surprises him and lashes out with uncanny accuracy leaving another gash in the cattaur's hide. Moving on past he emerges from the mist on the heels of the necromancer.

Menik catches sight of the necromancer as he leaves the mist and begins making his way down the trail. Suddenly Tasanto appears in a swirl of fog emerging from the concealment of the mists. The necromancer grunts in frustration and stumbles a step further away from Menik and Tasanto. Raising his hands he quickly invokes some sort of dark magic and a rope of grey mist swirls out from the necromancer and towards the transformed half-elf. Fortunately, the magics are poorly directed and pass by Tasanto.

Dolgrin and Lem are too far around the other side to see what is going on with Tasanto and the necromancer but a clatter of bones announces the emergence of the skeleton from the mist. Lem senses the fog-shrouded skeleton as it passes him and is able to take advantage of the skeleton's focus on exiting the fog. It veers towards the dwarf when it catches sight of him and raises its sword in attack. The blade clatters off Dolgrin's armor and the dwarf is left uninjured.

OOC: Combat Round Three. Everyone is up.
[sblock=Combat Information]
Sorry, looks like I didn't make the map quite big enough. The necromancer exited and moved about 10 feet out of the mist. Tasanto could catch him with a full move. The necromancer would take a 5 ft. step away and cast his spell. Wasn't sure if Tasanto had his polearm in hand; if he does, the spellcasting would provoke an AoO. Menik is about 20 feet away from where the necromancer stands (due to the vagaries of the terrain/avoiding trees, etc.)

Lem gets an AoO as the skeleton passes him.

Initiative:
Monsters
You all

Map:

Party:
Dolgrin: 41/41 hit points remaining
Lem: 16/20 hit points remaining
Menik: 17/17 hit points remaining
Tasanto: 23(3)/24 hit points remaining

Spells/Abilities Used:

Conditions in Effect:

Enemy Status:
Necromancer (AC 15/ T 10/ FF 15); 2/22 hp
Skeleton 1 (AC 21/ T 12/ FF 19); 9/17 hp
Skeleton 2 (Four arms) (AC 15/ T 13/ FF 12); -/4 hp; destroyed
Severed Head (AC 14/ T 14/ FF 12); -/4 hp; destroyed
[/sblock]
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Satin Knights

First Post
In his stomping through the mist, Tasanto finds the necromancer at the far end of the cloud bank. As the necromancer side-steps back to cast, Tasanto swats him with one of his long arms. Missing wildly Claw AoO with reach (1d20+4=5, 1d4+2=6), the necromaner's spell does go off, but that misses Tasanto wildly.

Stepping up, the cattaur swings, Left claw attack (1d20+4=10, 1d4+2=6), right claw attack (1d20+4=9, 1d4+2=3) and sinking his teeth in with a Bite (1d20+4=20, 1d6+2=4) the necromancer goes limp and drops. Growing back into the fog, "The necromancer is down!"

[sblock=actions]Tasanto had dropped the hammer in front of the skelton last round, but has reach claws.
If it was a full single move to get to the necromancer, Tasanto would have hit him for 4 damage last round.
If it was a double move to catch him, that is fine. Tasanto has the reach evolution on his claws, and the AoO had not triggered because the skeleton actually did hit him. So, AoO now triggers on the necromancer's turn. Missed.
This rounds actions: 5'step, claw/claw/bite. Yea! got him.[/sblock][sblock=mini-stats]Half-elf Tasanto: AC 12, HP 26/27, Init -2, Low-light vision,
Perception +11, Sense Motive +12, Move 30'
Unarmed Strike +2, d6+1,
Stunning Fist 1/day
Lucerne Hammer +3, d12+1 with 10' reach
Handbo +2, d6+1

Dagger +2, d4+1
Sling, -1, d4+1
1..... Sling Bullets 9 Normal
Fort: +3, Reflex +0, Will +9, CMB +2, CMD 14


Cattaur Tasanto AC 24 with mage armor HP 23/24 real, 3/20 temp, Init +2, Darkvision,
Perception +11, Sense Motive +12, Move 40'
Claw/Claw +4, d4+2 (10' reach)
Bite +4, d6+2
Unarmed Strike +4, d6+2, Stunning Fist 1/day (ususally kick, sometimes elbow)
MW Cold Iron Lucerne Hammer +5, d12+3 with 10' reach
Handbo +4, d6+2
Dagger +4, d4+2
Sling, +4, d4+2 ..... Sling Bullets 9 Normal
Fort: +3, Reflex +4, Will +9
...Summoner Cantrips: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Jolt, Guidance
.,....Summoner 1st Lvl: 2/3 remaining; Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon, Mage Armor, Shield
,...Summon Monster I: 5/5 remaining; std action SLA summon, (3 min), celestial eagles
.............Consumables: 1 Alchemist's Fire, 2 Cure Light Wounds potion, 1 Enlarge potion
.............Consumables: 1 wand of Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon (50/50 charges)
.............Consumables: 4/6 days trail rations, 1 anti-toxin, 1 anti-plague
...,Anytime Free Action: Fused Link, move HP from real to temp to keep cattaur alive, used down to 2 real
...... ......Swift Actions: Enter Snake Stance
If Snake Stance Active:
.,,,,,,,,,,,,,.Free Action: A missed attack on me provokes an AoO with an Unarmed Strike
.....Immediate Actions: AC or Touch AC = d20+12 against one strike
.....Immediate Actions: if hit on unarmed AoO, spend immed to make second unarmed AoO attack
.............Conditionals: +1 damage when flanking from dirty fighting trait
Effects: Snake Stance on, Swift action available, AoO available, AC 24, Mage Armor (3 hrs),
In hand: claw/claw/bite or unarmed strike

[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Fight in the Forest

Menik sees Tasanto drop the necromancer to the ground where the body lies bleeding. Dolgrin and Lem easily hear Tasanto's call about successfully dropping the necromancer. Now only the skeletal warrior remains...

Dolgrin, Lem, & Menik still to go this round.
 


Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem attacks the skeleton during his Attack of Opportunity, then takes a five foot step to attack twice again with a Flurry of Blows. He hits all three times, the final kick resulting in a critical bit of damage.

Attack (17+7=24, 18+6=24, 20+6=26): http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3823945/
Confirm Crit (11+6=17): http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3823956/
Damage (9 Total): http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3823957/

Mini-Stats
[sblock]
Lem the Cook (2nd Level Monk of the Empty Hand)
HP: 16/20; AC: 20; AC Touch: 20; AC Flatfooted: 12; INIT: +7; BAB: +1; CMB: +5; CMD: 17; Fortitude: +4; Reflex: +9; Will: +7; Speed: 30'

-Unarmed Strike: Attack: +7; Damage: 1d4, Crit: 20/x2, Special: Stunning Fist Option
-Flurry of Blows: Attack: +6/+6; Damage: 1d4/1d4, Crit: 20/x2, Special: Stunning Fist Option
-Thrown Flask of Acid: Ranged Touch Attack: +7; Damage: 1d6, Crit: Nil, Range: 10 feet, Special: 1hp splash acid damage to those within 5 feet; 12 Flasks of Acid
[/sblock]
 

GlassEye

First Post
Dolgrin's attack misses the skeletal: his axe is deflected off the skeleton's shield. Lem, however, strikes three times in succession. Ready to crow his success the halfling is a bit surprised when his last attack doesn't do quite the damage he expected.

OOC: Combat Round Three. Menik still to go.
[sblock=Combat Information]
Sorry, DT, that critical doesn't confirm unless you have something up your sleeve that I wasn't aware of.

Initiative:
Monsters
You all

Map:

Party:
Dolgrin: 41/41 hit points remaining
Lem: 16/20 hit points remaining
Menik: 17/17 hit points remaining
Tasanto: 23(3)/24 hit points remaining

Spells/Abilities Used:

Conditions in Effect:

Enemy Status:
Necromancer (AC 15/ T 10/ FF 15); 2/22 hp
Skeleton 1 (AC 21/ T 12/ FF 19); 2/17 hp
Skeleton 2 (Four arms) (AC 15/ T 13/ FF 12); -/4 hp; destroyed
Severed Head (AC 14/ T 14/ FF 12); -/4 hp; destroyed
[/sblock]
 

kinem

Adventurer
Menik shoots a force missile at the skeleton, striking it down. (ooc: 2-5 damage and it has 2 hp.)

ooc: Only the skeleton is still up, not the necromancer, right? Otherwise Menik will attack the necromancer instead.
 

GlassEye

First Post
Menik's force missile blasts the skeleton and disrupts the vile energy animating the creature. Bones, armor, and weapons tumble to the ground in a clatter then silence falls on the forest clearing. With the necromancer dead his magics begin to unravel and the mists slowly dissipate in the light breeze.

Just off the clearing is an outcrop of rock surrounded by trees. A small hollow space has been scratched out beneath an overhang and is filled with leaves and rags. It appears to be the necromancer's nest.

The mournful wail of the severed head identified it as Malcolm, the man they were searching for, and so the group now has the information they needed to report his demise to Lieutenant Kelnin.

[sblock=OOC]Yeah, Tasanto took the necromancer down; I just forgot to update his hp when it happened.

Sometime later this evening (when I have my notes) I'll get you all an xp update and a list of things you find when you search.[/sblock]
 

possum

First Post
"By the gods, this was a sight..." Dolgrin says as he walks throughout the area. There are scattered and shattered bones laying on the ground from the reanimated skeletons, a severed head tethered onto a tree that acted as an alarm and finally the body of the necromancer that was likely causing all of the troubles dead nearby.

"Are we sure this is it, though?" the dwarf says as he puts his weapon away.
 

GlassEye

First Post
Though Dolgrin is right to be suspicious, after a little time spent looking around there is no further threat to be found. There are a few items on the necromancer, the armored skeleton, and within the nest that might have some value: on the necromancer is a pair of bracers, he clutches a wand in his hand, and his robe, filthy and ratty though it is, seems to have some value. Within the nest is a sheaf of papers that look like they might be magical in nature and several rotted cloth pouches with a surprisingly large number of coins. The skeleton wears a breastplate and carried a heavy steel shield and a longsword of fine quality.

[sblock=OOC]First of all, this encounter pushed Tasanto up to 4th level. Congrats!

Experience to date:


Items:
Bracers of Armor +1 (1,000 gp);
Robe of Infinite Twine (1,000 gp);
Wand of Magic Missiles (CL1) with 10 Charges (150 gp);
Scrolls: detect undead (25 gp), obscuring mist (25 gp), shield (25 gp), chill touch (25 gp), spectral hand (150 gp);
Breastplate (200 gp);
Hvy steel shield (20 gp);
MW longsword (315 gp);
565 gp in sundry coins[/sblock]
 

Satin Knights

First Post
Tasanto puts the necromancer in manacles and then stabilizes him in an unconscious state. "Rochelle should have the killing blow." Stripping the body of loot and collecting what is possible, including Malcolm head in a bag for a proper burial, we will go back to the village. Slinging him over his back, he will carry the necromancer back to town and tie him to one of the tables with his head hanging over the end. While keeping the necromancer guarded, summon the villagers and, borrowing Dolgrin's axe for a moment, "Rochelle, being told justice has been done is not as soul cleansing as exacting that justice." Offer her the axe. If she doesn't take it after a moment, Tasanto will strike the final blow.

Tasanto will also find a fine wooden box that can be sealed with wax. Discretely, Malcom's head will be sealed in the box so what remains of his body we found can be returned to the whitecloak Kelnin for a proper burial. Not quite a coffin, but its evidence instead of the word of a stranger.

[sblock=XP]Tasanto started with 3,510 XP, so he should be ending at 6,175.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem frowns at the durable skeleton remains and says, "What about the farm? Should we not investigate Malcom's home in case some undead were left there. I would hate for a villager to come to a bad end when they go to check on its condition."

OOC: I'd like the bracers unless grabbed by someone else.
 

kinem

Adventurer
For the moment, Menik takes the scrolls and the wand.

"I agree. There's also the matter of the boneless elf the orc mentioned" Menik notes. "That necromancer might not be the whole story around here."
 

GlassEye

First Post
Returning to Capoe the villagers are pleased that their troubles seem to be over and they excitedly gather for a bit of rough justice. Rochelle eagerly takes the axe from Tasanto and strikes a blow but it is messy and doesn't kill the necromancer cleanly. Rochelle breaks down into uncontrolled weeping and Tasanto is forced to take the axe and finish the job. When it is over she seems more clear-minded than any other time the group has seen her and you have hope that she will eventually heal.

At Lem's insistence the four check out Malcolm's farm but a thorough scouting of the area turns up nothing else.

Continuing to think about the orc's comments, Menik comes to the conclusion that the orc was attempting to insult him but it was somehow lost in translation.

[sblock=OOC]Thanks, SK. Corrected and I'll post the corrected version on the final tally. I don't recall exactly where I took those numbers so the rest of you might want to check your beginning totals as well.

Thanks for your patience and for continuing to play after I picked this up. I know it was short but, really, the only thing left is to report to Lt. Kelnin.[/sblock]
 

Satin Knights

First Post
To be sure they rid the village of this necromancer for good, Tasanto burns the body and the blood stained table, but only after retrieving his manacles and putting them away. Once the ashes are scattered, "Well, we have to get going. My friends' horses are rented, and we should get them back in a timely manor." Set out on the road to return to Venza.
[sblock=ooc]Are we finishing here? Returning the head and getting paid is just a somber formality. Are we ambushed on the road back, or do we make it safely? Tasanto's update are done, but I always ponder a day or two to make sure I like the changes for submitting for approval.[/sblock]
 

possum

First Post
Dolgrin cringes as Rochelle does her best attempt at a beheading swing on the necromancer and turns away as Tasanto finishes the job. Maybe, he thinks, they should have done something more humane such as hanging, and let Rochelle be the one to whip the horse away from the tree. A botched execution was no way for a being to die, no matter how evil he was. The dwarf travels with the others to check out Malcom's farm and seeing it abandoned agrees with Tasanto's suggestion to return to the big city.
 

kinem

Adventurer
"It is sad news we bear, but at least the dead are at peace now" Menik says, as he journeys back with the others.

In truth, his thoughts are on necromancy. What was its appeal? The power to gain servants, certainly, but the bugbear necromancer he'd helped fight last time had goblin servants enough, but still felt the desire for undead ones. Power? Any school of magic provided it; yet necromancy also called enemies against its abuser. Perhaps there was more to it ... Perhaps, if one fears death, it is comforting to think that one can somehow control it. Or it might simply be a form of rebellion against the standards of a society which might have treated such men unfairly ...
 



GlassEye

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Sorry I didn't get everything wrapped up before Christmas holidays. Again, thanks for playing. I'll make the ending date 29 Dec 2012 and have final tallies up asap.



Row 5 has the final XP tallies.

Treasures:
# 1 - Orcs: 400 gp worth gear (sold in Capoe) including one potion of cure light wounds (used). 350 gp
# 2 - Ghoulish Children: no treasure.
# 3 - Necromancer and Minions: Bracers of Armor +1 (1,000 gp), Robe of Infinite Twine (1,000 gp), Wand of Magic Missiles (CL1) with 10 charges (150 gp), Scrolls: detect undead (25 gp), obscuring mist (25 gp), shield (25 gp), chill touch (25 gp), spectral hand (150 gp), Breastplate (200 gp), Hvy steel shield (20 gp), MW longsword (315 gp), 565 gp.

Total GP value (encounter): 3,850 (962.5 gp each)
Time-based GP:
-Dolgrin: 1,932 + 962.5 = 2,894.5 gp total
-Lem: 1,932 + 962.5 = 2,894.5 gp total
-Menik: 1,932 + 962.5 = 2,894.5 gp total
-Tasanto: 2,552 + 962.5 = 3,514.5 gp total

As usual, if there are items you wish from the accumulated treasure, deduct their value from your gp total. Unwanted items can be easily sold in Venza.

Took over from DrJest 5 Sep 2012 (8.05 DMC)
[/sblock]

The few days travel back to Venza pass uneventfully and Dolgrin, Lem, Menik, and Tasanto are able to make their report to Lt. Kelnin. Kelnin is understandably saddened that his wife's brother was killed but is pleased that the group was able to exact justice and remove a threat to the region. He makes payment as promised.
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top