Lycein Arcana Questions...

donm61873

First Post
Hmm... So basically Thousand Faces becomes a free, at will, cosmetic 1 MP Transform Creature power?

That works for me, and it's way simpler to understand :)

Verequus

First Post
I would change your solution: The free, at will, cosmetic 1 MP Transform Creature power has no duration limit and the Creature category is the same as the characters type.

Nyeshet

First Post
The 'cure 2d6 hp at will' ability sounds like a weaker and uncertain variant of Fast healing. They gain fast healing, but each round they have to use a standard action to make use of it - losing their other actions that round. So unless they are able to 'take a breather' during combat for several rounds it is not all that broken, especially since its FH power is random (albeit, more often than not akin to FH 7). It is a very very strong ability, granted, but it is not necessarily a broken one. Fast Healing 2 or 3 would be more powerful, actually, as it would allow normal actions each round.

Its cost needs to be increased, granted, or its healing per use needs to be trimmed, but otherwise curing oneself as an at will ability is not that bad. Healing oneself 1 or 2 hp at will as a standard action is mostly useful in recovering between encounters than during them (except when stabilizing, of course). Perhaps curing oneself 1d2 hp at will as a standard action would be worth 4 AP. Its been a while since I looked at the system, I admit, so I might easily be off on this.

genshou

First Post
Wow, this was a bad thread for me to miss! Lots of replies to everyone scattered throughout this post.
Primitive Screwhead said:
THe Gatekeepers and Scribe of Worlds Feat. You have a table of number of words to Craft DC/XP cost, but I cannot discern any way of setting the precision of the portal. It looks like the more words you use, the better the portal will be at getting you to exactly where you want to go.
I agree with what RW posted above. I would suggest you play the Myst series of games (if you're good at puzzle solving, anyway). If you do a lot of reading about ages (both in an out of game), you'll find that Atrus and his father Gehn have opposed theories about whether writing an age creates an age to your specifications, or simply links you to one which does. Good material for if you use Scribe of Worlds in your game.
RuleMaster said:
Nice to hear about the potential print deal! But if you have to patch the book again, please change it to show one page only at a time. I don't like it to have it change back everytime, I open the book up. BTW, if I use the bookmarks, my viewing settings are always changed, too. Can this be remedied, too?
I have this problem when first opening the PDF in that I am viewing two pages at a time at 90-something percent zoom, side by side, but all it takes is two clicks to fix that. Clicking the bookmarks doesn't reset the views for me. Are you using the most up-to-date version of Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to view it?
Archus said:
Good I was very afraid. So anything that can have a normal Gen permanent duration can be taken as an Enduring Anima? Is it just Evoke and Heal that can't be done?
Anything that can be made into a wondrous item can be an enduring Anima power. Sadly, that means no Evoke or Heal.
John Q. Mayhem said:
What is the reason for not being able to have Transform magic as anima powers? Is it just flavour, or is there a mechanical reason?
An Anima can take Transform spells as Anima powers, just not as enduring powers. Getting an infinite use-per-day of some transformations would be cool, though. I don't think it'd be worth the AP cost, since 5/day with a better duration would be more along the lines of how many times a day you would actually need to use it.
RuleMaster said:
But another question to the Biomancer feat: If I would use a spell for increasing the strength on someone and the receiver of the spell pays off the debt, can I then cast the same spell and gain the same increase for his strength? Or don't stack the spells?
RM, I assume you are referring to an Infuse spell to increase an ability score. That would be an enhancement bonus, which doesn't stack with others of its kind. So, you couldn't benefit from multiple castings, even though it's no longer part of the 12-item limit.
RuleMaster said:
Also you left the curses out - will you include the rules somewhere? The ritual spell rules don't list a focus, where the magical energy is stored - did you delete this detail?
I'd like an answer on this one, too. I've been wondering how to adjucate rituals beyond the specific one I semi-revealed in my Story Hour.
John Q. Mayhem said:
I'd love to see a system akin to the LA ritual magic for creating magic items-with skill checks instead of CL checks, taking a long time and perhaps requiring some help, but in the end you create an item you couldn't otherwise, like One-Eye's spear in the Black Company novels.
Could you elaborate on this a little more?
RuleMaster said:
Several classes in Lyceian Arcana are unable to learn every spell list, at least without multiclassing. Can they use items, which have effects comprised of at least one of the forbiddden spell lists?
Chapter 4: Magic Items gives an answer on this:
"Anyone, even someone with no caster level or MP, can try to use these spell completion items; to successfully cast the spell in the item, you must make a caster level check (DC 10 + the spell’s MP cost). If you know all the spell lists the item uses, you get a +10 bonus to this check."
RuleMaster said:
Also, Ryan, because you had a chance to read Upper_Krust's CR-system - how are the Summon CRs affected, if I use the new CR-system?
I've been using the 1 MP=1 CR idea you proposed long ago in another thread, and it's worked fine in my games so far.
RuleMaster said:
I'm sorry, but do you speak of the Anima class? Otherwise I don't know, which class has this particular cure power.
You are correct, RM. The question is about whether or not allowing a 4th-level character with 1 level in Anima to heal 2d6 damage at will as a spell-like ability is broken. An idea I had was to make casting an at-will spell-like ability take the full two rounds (at least for an Anima, if not for everyone). That would curb excessive use of at-will spell-like abilities.

Hope that's all helpful!
~tpc, who desires to become RangerWickett's toady

Last edited:

Verequus

First Post
Could you please add, from whom the quotes were? I know, that some were mine, some are from others, but the rest - I'm too lazy to search this thread for the orginal posts. Not everyone has a photographic memory! :p

genshou

First Post
RuleMaster said:
Could you please add, from whom the quotes were? I know, that some were mine, some are from others, but the rest - I'm too lazy to search this thread for the orginal posts. Not everyone has a photographic memory! :p
LOL, no problem... :confused:

Remove ads