• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian

Razh nods in agreement. "Aye, the dragon. But let's not forget aboot Causticus 'imself. It'll be no small feat bringin' that one dahn, 'specially if we waste our surprise on the ogre. It's a tough one." He scratches his chin and tugs at his armor straps, trying futilely trying for a better fit. "Is there any way we can get t'that boat without lettin' ol' Causty know we all got out alive?" He looks at Hogarth. "You, mate, why were ye in the cell with us again?" He waits for an answer before realizing his mistake and directing the same question to Rinaldo. "We might could use a sort o' distraction, which Hogarth 'ere might be able t'help us oot with, eh?"

[sblock=OOC: ]Can you describe the scene in detail, Manzanita? Like, exactly how big is the boat? Are the goblins that are helping with the loading armed? Where is the party in reference to the panicked crowd: blended in or viewing from a distance? Is there a way to approach the actual docks by moving through/behind buildings or is it just through the crowd? Is the party pressed for time in making a plan? I mean to say, is there time to discuss and argue for different plans of action or are Causticus and company about to set sail?[/sblock]

rln

Explorer
"Look; the goblins down there are obviously agitated because they've been selected to be left behind. We can use that to our advantage. The Ogre and his two companions can't leave the dock or the horde will fall at their backs trying to get aboard. If we can engage Causticus, we may not even have to fight the ogre and those two.

Of course, getting there means swimming, unless we can find a small rowboat. It seems their attention is mostly on the docks; if we can get around on the outside, perhaps we'll be able to sneak aboard unnoticed.

Some kind of invisibility spell, or perhaps some fog, would be useful, though. Smoke would likely work, too, given that the city is burning."

OOC: Is it day, morning, evening?

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
The party is somewhat concealed in the moving goblinoids. They do notice that one of the hobgoblins seems to be staring at them. He hasn't said or done anything, though. Some of the goblinoid rabble is quite close, and presumably the party could approach w/in 10 feet of the guards w/o raising an alarm.

The six goblins on the dock are loading in the final barrels and boxes. The sail is already hoisted. It appears the ship will sail immenently.

The party can see the next pier over. It is a chaotic melee, with scores of goblinoids fighting, and trying to seize every boat.

It is late afternoon, and with all the smoke and ash, it is pretty dark. The air is hot. The ocean is cold.

Attachments

• Island.JPG
    Island.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 128

Erekose13

Explorer
"Nurlan, I don't suppose you could insight the goblin rable to try and rise up against the ogre to try and take the ship. I mean they all want off the island too right?" offers Tenebrynn.

rln

Explorer
"The horde would be in our way, too. Perhaps we could just charm one of them hobgoblins, or the Ogre into letting us pass. Whatever we do, we need to do it fast. Nurlan, you're leading this time."

Ogrin tries to see if any of the chests being loaded are similar to the ones that contains their equipment. He awaits Nurlans command to move forward towards the pier, attempting an intimidating, but not obviously threatening pose. He hopes to dissuade the goblin horde from bothering them, and enforce whatever bluff Nurlan tries to use. He does, however fail miserably in this endeavour.

OOC: Rolled a one on my DC10 Aid another check. Luckily there's no fumble associated with skill checks...

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
I'm back in civilization... but with computer problems, which have made it difficult for me to get fully caught up.

Nurlan agrees to the strategic ideas formulated by the others. As far as tactics, he has definite opinions of his own. "First step: acquire an influential friend. Just don't dop anything overtly hostile unless all else fails", he whispers to the others. Then he picks the hobgoblin who has been staring at them. Staring back and waving his hands toward the hobgoblin, he chants his mellifluous trill. (Casting [charm person spell, DC 14.)

Manzanita

First Post
The hobgoblin frowns for a moment, squinting through the smoke at the waving figure of Nurlan. After a moment, he seems to make out Nurlan's figure. He waves back. Is that a smile on his toothy, ugly face?

Velmont

First Post
"Did you know that I am jalous of your skill. I need to speak for hours to gain such trust from someone... but I think we have an hobgoblin on our side now. So, what now? We try to pass this barrage with the hobgoblin help, we climb on board. We throw the plank and the mooring so the boat will start to get away from the quay, so no one in teh harbor could come to help and we confront Causticus with the crew that might still be onboard?"

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian

"Ah'm thinkin' the fighters should go first, then the mages, then me. Ah'll take the rear, drop the plank, an' fight off any ogres 'oo want t'join us in the fray. Sound good?"

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo nods. "Once on board, Razh, you take care of the plank. Eanos, Hogarth, Nurlan and Tenebrynn will take care of the mooring. Ogrin, Ashnar, and I will take care of any opposition that may be onboard or might want to climb. Such a small ship should have only two mooring, Eanos and Hogarth might protect Nurlan and Tenebrynn while they unties or cut the ropes. We will have to act quickly,as they are near and Causticus might come back on the deck quickly. Does that seams resonnable with everyone? If it works, we might be able to avoid to fight half the possible opponent."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads