maddman75's Knights of the Gran March

crystalblue

First Post
jeezy creezy, we're STILL not done with nightfang spire? i would be so happy to never see another mindflayer again....

i finally remembered to come check this out. it's weird reading the adventures - half of this i'd forgotten already.

love this, btw -

He looked at the group and said one word

"Mind Flayers."

so when's the next game?

crystal/jellyroll

maddman75

First Post
Don't know - as soon as I talk to everyone I'll figure it out. Probably in 2-3 weeks. I'll call whenever I can get a firmer figure. Not long - I want to finish this story arc.

maddman75

First Post
Assault on the Dwarf Hold.

The characters were relaxing in town, listening for any news of mind flayers or any other troubles about town. With the wars in Bissel and Geoff most of the garrison were still gone, and Lord Eldrad was using the group as unoffical keepers of the peace in the meantime.

A few days after their return, both a human and a dwarf rider came into town. The human was covered in dust and told them that the mine had collapsed. An Umber Hulk appeared and started hacking at the beams until the main shaft went down.

The dwarf was badly hurt, with several deep cuts. Helios laid his hands upon him and asked him what was happening. The dwarf told him that an army of hobgoblins had besieged the dwarf hold, led by a demon. He begged the PCs for help in the name of the King. The party headed out at once, not sure why the hobgoblins would be attacking the dwarves.

They couldn't get in through the stronghold's main gate, as the army was beseiging it. The miners that had trickled back into town told the heroes of a side entrance that should be open. They might find their way to the stronghold that way.

The headed out, and after a bit of spelunking they found the chasm where they fought the giant spiders. It connected to the cavern that caused the problems between the humans and dwarves not so long ago. But they were on the other side. It was two hunderd feet to the bottom of the chasm, then a hundered and fifty feet up the other side.

Jellyroll and Ameral started counting out their rope while Rytalyn considered how many people she could enchant with Spider Climb. WHile they were doing this, Beltar decided that the climb didn't look too difficult and started climbing down the side of the cliff. He got about forty feet down when his handholds crumbled and he fell to the rocky bottom. His companions didn't even know that he had left until they heard "OWWW!" from the bottom of the gorge.

The rest of the group got down and back up with minimal fuss with some ropes and magic. Coop used his wand of healing to patch up the eager barbarian. Once inside, the dwarven soldiers quickly summoned the heroes to the central chambers of the stronghold.

maddman75

First Post
crystalblue - as long as you're here, check out a couple of the other story hours. Posy's diary is great, and Piratecat has been giving me all kinds of ideas:D

Wulf's Collected Story Hour is one of my favorites, but don't read that one until after our next game. They go through the nightfang spire as well.

maddman75

First Post
Defending the Temple

The dwarven commanders gave the job of defending the temple of Moradin to the party. Other stout dwarven warriors were lining up to defend the King's hall, the lower mines, the Forges, and the Merchant's Hall. Before too long, they heard the hobgoblins marching through the cavern toward them. Thirty seasoned hobgoblin warriors lined up and charged.

Rytalyn was up on a statue, and pulled out a scroll. Chanting the arcane words, she summoned a small ball of flame to her hand. She gracefully tossed it to a group of hobgoblins on the left flank that were pulling out heavy crossbows. The flame exploded where it hit, dropping most of the archers to the ground, and those that remained standing were busily trying to douse their flaming hair and clothes.

Vartan, Ameril, and Jellyroll opened up with the arrows, while Helios, Beltar, Coop, and Coal waded into the line of Hobgoblins. The were fierce warriors, but no match for the party. Within a thirty seconds, the force was defeated.

As the last of the hobgoblins ran into the distance, the party could see that the dwarves were doing well themselves for the most part. They had taken the biggest hit from the position to the right of their own, where almost a hundred hobgoblins charged the King's chamber. The heroes grouped together and started in that direction.

Suddenly, they heard arcane chanting nearby. A huge earth elemental rose from the ground just in front of them. Helios, Vartan, and Coal leaped at him, while Coop raised his Gem of Seeing to look for the source of the chanting.

Coop saw a familiar looking mind flayer with a scroll in front of him, chanting again. He dashed over, alerting everyone to the wizard's location. Coal leaped at the spot, but hit nothing but air. Coop gave him a firm kick in the gut, tearing the scroll and disrupting the spell. Being unable to affect the elemental, the group charged at the wizard.

He cast another spell on himself, the characters missing the invisible spellcaster. Having an idea, Vartan cast a light spell and charged, hoping to drab him with his hand. Ehlonnha gave her blessing, and the illithid was invisible but glowing in the cavern like a torch.

The characters threw attacks into him, but he had further protections than just invisibility. He took off in a mad dash toward the King's hall as soon as the hobgoblins had broken the dwarven line. He was unearthly fast - not even Coop or COal could keep up with him. The elemental charged off toward the dwarven mines.

Not long after this, all the fighting stopped. Dwarves and hobgoblins dropped their weapons, dazed and confused. They all started slowly walking toward the King's hall. The characters could feel something pushing into their minds, some powerful force telling them to come, to lie down in the darkness.

The temple doors were flung open and a dwarf leaned out.

"Come! Everyone inside! The Anvil of Moradin will protect us!"

The characters ran inside. Immedietly inside the temple was a large iron anvil covered with runes. They no longer felt the pressure of the voice in their heads. There were a few dwarves that came in, but most did not make it. They closed the doors after they could see no more stragglers. They did feel deep trembles in the earth. The cleric fear it was the elemental, bringing down sections of the dwarf hold.

The dwarven cleric explained that the Anvil was an ancient relic. It held many powers, including the blocking of ill magics. He suggested that they make a pallate for it and carry it to the surface, that they might escape and figure out what had happened.

The doors were flung open and a hobgoblin warrior came inside. He looked at the characters and threw his sword on the ground.

"I surrender."

maddman75

First Post
Rings and Wishes

Sorry for the long delay - every time I'd go to update, the boards would be down! Anyway, here's the next installment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hobgoblin introduced himself as Rel. According to him, the shaman of the tribe was in leauge with a demon. It had the power to control the minds of the tribesmen and led them to assault the dwarves. He himself was under the demon's thrall. At the end of the battle, this power waned and he regained himself. He saw the other tribesmen walking toward the inner keep, and decided to get out. The shaman and the faith of Hextor - which taught that the strongest should always rule - had led his tribe to destruction.

Helios took Rel into his protection for the time being. The hobgoblin offered no resistance.

The dwarven cleric suggested that they make their way to Hook hill. They put the Anvil on a large platform and carried it out, the relic protecting them from the psionic impulses emanating from deep within the mine.

Once back in town, they consulted Curate Malken. He spent a few days pouring over his tomes before coming up with an answer. He believed that the source of the psionic impulses came from an illithid god-brain that had laid dormant until this mind flayer wizard had reawakened it. He also knew of a dungeon nearby said to contain a collection of magical rings. The former owner was a wizard who was paranoid about someone taking control of his closest advisors. So he had several rings constructed that would protect their wearer from such effects. The group set off to retrieve the rings. The dungeon was only a few days march from town.

About halfway there, two bears came up out of the brush at the heros. These were no ordinary bears, but large and fierce dire bears. The group hadn't fought any such threat before, and underestimated them badly.

Helios charged in with his shield. The bear promptly snatched him up and ripped his throat out, dropping him to the ground unceremoniously. The rest of the group stood in shock at the easy defeat of one of their fiercest warriors.

Beltar and Ameril charged in, with Rel leaping in and out of the bears' reach. Coal and Coop leapt and tumbled about, keeping the bears confused with enemies on either side. Jellyroll fired arrows while Rytalyn threw lightning over the groups' heads.

They put the bears down and carried Helios back to town. Curate Malken managed to call his soul back from Arcadia, but he was weakened from the experience. The group set out again, this time more wary of the wildlife.

The dungeon was simply built. There was a group of ogres near the entrance, which the group quickly dispatched. They were willing to give up information for their lives. They only knew that the lower levels were hot. One of the ogres managed to break open the lock and go down there. He was burned, and said something about 'hot rock men' down there. The lock seems to restore itself occasionally.

Ameril broke out his picks and made short work of the lock. They descended the stairs, finding this area made of dark red stone. The stairway led into a large chamber with three fire pits. A short humanoid stepped out of each one, seeminly made of lava. They gave off an unbearable heat.

After a few arrows and magic missiles, the magmin were put down. There were two doors now, each on the far wall. They opened the right hand door first and stepped inside.

Inside this was a room, about twenty foot square. Nothing in it at all. Coop picked up the Gem of Seeing from his necklace and gave the room a quick glance. The wall was illusonary, and behind it was a twelve foot tall humanoid with red skin and flaming eyes. He had a silver scimitar at his side and an iron key around his neck. He sighed, and dropped the illusion.

The efreeti looked at them and said "You know I can't give you this key."

The group looked at him menacingly. Vartan spoke up. "There's a set of rings in here. We need them. Is the key what protects them?"

"I cannot tell you about what the key opens."

They back out of the room to discuss options. They open the other door and find a large hydra, trapped behind a narrow bridge. A few arrows and lightning bolts later, they are at the door. It is sealed with powerful magics, and to none of the characters' suprise there is a large iron lock.

They return to the genie and ask him about his origins. He says that the wizard who summoned him bound him to guard the key to the inner chamber for a thousand years. He only has a year left, so he's not about to blow it now. He draws his sword and says

"You aren't getting the key. Either I'll kill you, or you'll leave with your lives."

The rest of the group filed in behind Vartan and Helios. The efreet started to look a little less sure. "Look...I'm sure your mission is very important. But I've got to finish my term! Tell you what. I'll grant you three wishes if you agree leave this dungeon and never return.

Helios perked up. "Did you say wishes?"

Warpriest2002

First Post
Cool So Far!

Just wanted to let you know, madd, that your are doing a bang up job recounting the adventure thus far. This guy remembers everything! Hi Crystalblue!

Chris - Player of Helios

Randell

First Post
Yo it's Randell

Madd your doing a good job at the stuff. I know i forgot some of this stuff so it should be good to read some more of this stuff.

PS I got the new guy made

Randell- Ameral the rogue

Remove ads