• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mage Armor

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I'd rather just have Mage Armor allow a wizard to add Int to his AC instead of Dex, probably as a class feature.

I don't think that's a good idea. It leaves wizards with pretty much no reason to have Dex. Wizards are already the most single-ability-dependent class in the game.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Wizards aren't combatants. That's why their spells are only creatively used for combat. They should be avoiding fights as a general rule.

The number of spells that are designed for combat stand as proof that wizards are combatants. They may prefer to avoid melee combat, but that doesn't mean they aren't combatants at all.

Stormonu

Legend
Wizards aren't front-line combatants. They can be combatants, but they shouldn't be wading into melee - more like standing in the back with a couple fighters between them and the enemy.

As for Mage Armor, I think it should grant your INT bonus to AC and you still get your Dex bonus - sort of like the Monk's WIS+DEX bonus, but the wizard has to "burn" a spell for it. I don't want to see it become an at-will cantrip and I wonder if bringing back the damage limit (when the "wearer" takes 8 + level damage, the spell ends) to reign it in a bit. Perhaps change it slightly, either making it work for so many hits (say 1d4) or that it fails after a critical hit. Bring back the fear of the wizard being anywhere in missile or melee range.

Finally, don't forget that Mage Armor has been a touch spell - it's nice to cast it on the rogue so he doesn't have to wear noisy leather armor when sneaking about. Heck, at 1st level the +4 AC bonus (in the 2E/3E version) could free up the Fighter's funds for better weapons or other gear or even give him a speed edge...

Klaus

First Post
I don't think that's a good idea. It leaves wizards with pretty much no reason to have Dex. Wizards are already the most single-ability-dependent class in the game.

The wizard already needs Con, just like everyone else. And with every ability being the basis of a saving throw, there's a pretty big incentive not to dump any single stat.

Compare to the Fighter or Cleric, who's a few gold pieces from having no reason to have Dex. The Cleric is as Wisdom-dependant and the Wizard is Intelligence-dependant.

Klaus

First Post
As for Mage Armor, I think it should grant your INT bonus to AC and you still get your Dex bonus - sort of like the Monk's WIS+DEX bonus, but the wizard has to "burn" a spell for it.

If you allow Int + Dex (like the monk), then you have to disallow stacking with armor. But if you allow Int to replace Dex, you can have a battlemage type using Mage Armor to deflect most attacks and wearing leather armor (or a mithril shirt, or even chainmail, in the case of a middling Intelligence) to board up the gaps.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Compare to the Fighter or Cleric, who's a few gold pieces from having no reason to have Dex. The Cleric is as Wisdom-dependant and the Wizard is Intelligence-dependant.

There's a big difference. Fighters and Clerics aren't able to use their primary ability to boost their AC. Wizards already have every reason in the world to max their Int. It's not fair to give them a good AC as part of that deal as well. There's also the fact that wizards aren't supposed to be front-line combatants, at least not without multiclassing or specific character builds that make sacrifices to do that. By allowing wizards to use Int, either in addition to or in place of Dex, it gives them a very good AC by default, when they're supposed to have a low AC compared to other classes.

Klaus

First Post
There's a big difference. Fighters and Clerics aren't able to use their primary ability to boost their AC. Wizards already have every reason in the world to max their Int. It's not fair to give them a good AC as part of that deal as well. There's also the fact that wizards aren't supposed to be front-line combatants, at least not without multiclassing or specific character builds that make sacrifices to do that. By allowing wizards to use Int, either in addition to or in place of Dex, it gives them a very good AC by default, when they're supposed to have a low AC compared to other classes.

Fighters and Clerics are a few gp away from not needing a stat to boost their AC.

Rogues can attack and defend using their primary ability (Dex), and they can add light armour on top of that without needing to invest in proficiency. Allowing a Wizard to add Int to AC gives them a slightly lower AC than an equally-focused Rogue (if the Wizard's Int = Rogue's Dex, and the Rogue dons light armour over that). And the Rogue is not a frontline combatant either. So I see no problem with allowing Wizards to protect themselves in battle. Honestly, any wizard who thinks of adventuring would consider his own protection a priority.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Mage Armor is a cantrip tax for wizards. I'd much rather they make it 1st level and last all day instead.

Solving the problem: Give all wizards one more cantrip each . . . and "Done!"
["It's not a tax, it's a wash."]

Actually, my question is this: Is this the first time in the history of D&D that Mage Armor has been made a cantrip? (Hasn't it always been 1st Level before?)

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Fighters and Clerics are a few gp away from not needing a stat to boost their AC.

They're also front-line combatants who are supposed to be "tanks." Wizards are not.

Rogues can attack and defend using their primary ability (Dex), and they can add light armour on top of that without needing to invest in proficiency. Allowing a Wizard to add Int to AC gives them a slightly lower AC than an equally-focused Rogue (if the Wizard's Int = Rogue's Dex, and the Rogue dons light armour over that). And the Rogue is not a frontline combatant either. So I see no problem with allowing Wizards to protect themselves in battle. Honestly, any wizard who thinks of adventuring would consider his own protection a priority.

Rogues are melee combatants and they can only wear light armor, so it's fair that they can use their primary stat for AC.

Actually, my question is this: Is this the first time in the history of D&D that Mage Armor has been made a cantrip? (Hasn't it always been 1st Level before?)

Yes, this is the first time Mage Armor has ever been a cantrip.

Stormonu

Legend
If you allow Int + Dex (like the monk), then you have to disallow stacking with armor. But if you allow Int to replace Dex, you can have a battlemage type using Mage Armor to deflect most attacks and wearing leather armor (or a mithril shirt, or even chainmail, in the case of a middling Intelligence) to board up the gaps.

Battlemages can go find some other trick. I see no reason for mage armor to stack with armor. The spell says armor in the name, after all.

Remove ads