• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Mage Hand + Dinner Plate vs. Fireball

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Would you think it feasible to use the minor telekinesis from the mage hand to try to fly a dinner plate into the incoming flaming bead of the fireball, to cause it to explode 25 feet away, far enough out that it won't hurt you? How hard should it be?

Mage hand has a Close (25' + 5' per 2 lvls) range, but only allows you to move the object 15' each move action. So how does this play out? It only works at all if you have initiative...

Round 1:
You: Cast Mage Hand (standard action), Move plate 15' (move action), 5' step back (non-action if you haven't moved yourself) - you are now 20' away from the plate. If the fireball hits it, a nice GM may say you are outside the blast radius, a mean one will say you aren't.
BBEG: Cast Fireball (standard action). He is casting after the plate has stopped moving - it is a small, stationary object. He can aim his spell slightly to the side of the plate, so the fireball still goes off on you.

So, clearly that won't work. Let us try again...

Round 1:
You: Cast Mage Hand (standard action), Move plate 15' (move action). 5' step if you want, but not relevant.
BBEG: Pick his nose, or something.

Round 2:
You: Ready Move action
BBEG: Wonder briefly why there's a plate hanging in the air, cast fireball.
You: take readied action, move plate 15' away from you, into path of fireball.

So, this one only works if you know a full round ahead of time that he's going to cast Fireball. If, on Round 2, he picks some other spell, that plate may be useless. Lightning Bolt, for example, will blast right through that plate, and fry you.

Stormonu

Legend
When I started reading the first post, I thought someone had figured out how to fling 50 plates to get the equivalent of a fireball.

I'd have just required a ready action and touch attack vs. the bead.

Remember, the plates can initially start up to 50 feet away from you; if you've got home field advantage, you might already have positioned the plates somewhere further away from you so you can ensure you're out of the blast before even having to begin moving the plate.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Remember, the plates can initially start up to 50 feet away from you;

Actually, in the OP, 25' (range is 25' + 5' per 2 levels, and the character casting it is 1st level). But, you're right, in the my analysis had You start with the plates at his position, and that isn't necessary true.

That modifies what I said some, but not much. You still need one standard action to cast Mage Hand, and one standard action to ready moving the plate (even if you're readying a move, the ready itself is a standard action).

if you've got home field advantage, you might already have positioned the plates somewhere further away from you so you can ensure you're out of the blast before even having to begin moving the plate.

He's in the tower, and you are outside. Now, maybe you have time to lay out plates beforehand, but it doesn't really seem likely. I mean, who allows you to wander around your castle, and then *later* blasts you with fireball?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads