D&D 5E Mage Slayer feat, order of actions and concentration.

The irony of it is that it is a way better feat for casters to take.

Target spellcaster with a damaging AoE.

If they don't save, they get to eat spike damage that is typically more than a single attack can inflict and save at disadvantage

If they do save, they still take half damage and still get to make a concentration check with disadvantage.

Did I mention spellcasters can hold concentration on spells that can potentially do damage every round, sometimes multiple times a turn (hello Spike Growth).

The melee martial use case and reaction is the sexy sounding part of it, but it's mostly inconsequential (as usual).

I will also add that for a feat called "Mage Slayer", something like:

If you interrupt the caster's spell, the caster takes psychic damage equal to the spell's level.

would be cool.
I like....

"If you interrupt the caster's spell, the caster must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of your next turn."

Probably overpowered, but fun.

#3 make it advantage on saves AND disadvantage on the caster's attack roll. Now, it helps your defense in all cases.
I think the caster would still have disadvantage on a ranged spell attack roll due to being within 5ft. Making it disadvantage on all spell attack rolls within 5ft would still be nice against vampiric touch, shocking grasp, inflict wounds, etc. How that rule would interact with a spell like Bigby's Hand gets a little weird though.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That's incorrect. Unless a reaction specifically states that it interrupts the trigger, such as shield, it resolves after the trigger.
I know, I meant it was just how we rule the feat works. Actually how we rule MOST reactions work.... as IMO reactions, due to their very nature and how they work in 5E, should INTERRUPT the action.

For example, shield bumps your AC.
1662022618142.png

But it is in response to being "HIT", so you've already been hit by a successful attack and yet the bump to AC can turn it into a miss after the fact? That really doesn't make sense.

Many other reactions in 5E don't make sense if the reaction "action" occurs AFTER the trigger, they really are interrupting it, like shield, by changing the narrative.

It is a failure of the devs in 5E to say reactions don't interrupt the other action. 🤷‍♂️

the Jester

Legend
I know, I meant it was just how we rule the feat works. Actually how we rule MOST reactions work.... as IMO reactions, due to their very nature and how they work in 5E, should INTERRUPT the action.
I feel like shield is one of the few examples where it should be labeled an interrupt. For the most part, it hasn't seemed to hurt anything that the trigger resolves first. It does mean that you can't just decide to interrupt anything with a readied action, but I like that.

Remove ads