• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage:the Awakening is out. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRIMJIM

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Arguing with one of the developers about the game he's working on, and going on and on about how much it sucks to his face is outright offensive and rude.

Mr Beamz has already said he'd have done it different with a more free reign, something I can sympathise with, but seems to feel much more attachment than I would to a project in that circumstance. With all reviews you have to take the rough with the smooth and listening only to positive feedback creates a loop where you're certain you're great but you're not doing very well - this can lead people to hold untenable positions or to have monstrous egos because of their closed circle of cheerleaders.

These same few criticisms are being made more places than just here.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Arguing with one of the developers about the game he's working on, and going on and on about how much it sucks to his face is outright offensive and rude.
It's a public forum, so discussing the flaws and merits of a book is entirely the point. It's only rude to attack the person.

The arguement is futile mind you, but it's not "offensive" or "rude" to question someones work.

Vocenoctum said:
It's a public forum, so discussing the flaws and merits of a book is entirely the point. It's only rude to attack the person.

The arguement is futile mind you, but it's not "offensive" or "rude" to question someones work.
In my opinion many of the comments went beyond the line of "Creative Criticism" (where I could certainly describe a number of flaws already) and into the realm of "Insults" (like saying how someone is an idiot and doesn't know what they're talking about) which makes a hell of a difference.

eyebeams

Explorer
Kobold Avenger said:
In my opinion many of the comments went beyond the line of "Creative Criticism" (where I could certainly describe a number of flaws already) and into the realm of "Insults" (like saying how someone is an idiot and doesn't know what they're talking about) which makes a hell of a difference.

Enh. I can take it. At this point I'm much more interested in feedback derived from game play, so I'm not really an active participant in this thread any more.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Possibly, I just meant in a more general manner. "It's okay to criticize a product when the author is present". eyebeams is no stranger to abrasive posting himself, so I wouldn't worry about him. :)

GRIMJIM

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:

Far more of that was dished out than recieved. Something of a theme :/

Well I guess my problem, is that I never took to well to posters back in the time of Mage: the Ascension that always came up with something like "Jess Heinig, you're a <edited by moderator>!" for posts along with complaints like "The Verbena should be all exclusively like Willow". I had to wade through hundreds of such posts just to read anything more useful or constructive.

Last edited by a moderator:

GRIMJIM said:
Kult doesn't start delving into real in game effects (apart from the ability to use ritual magic effectively) until points that would be pretty much off WoD's scale in either direction.
Well, yeah. I did note that Kult is far more extreme than WoD (either iteration), right?

I found it more broadly defined and less restrictive than the WoD morality system in play - perhaps you're looking at a different edition?
There are few differences between the editions, and no differences in the morality mechanics we're talking about. In any case, the morality system -- as with every other element of the game -- is predicated on a strictly European, Judeo-Christian worldview far more specific than that of nWoD.

You have a _somewhat_ valid point in comparing the two games - but a limited one. If one does treat Awakening as existing in a complete vaccuum then Atlantis is still ridiculous but the game is slightly less disappointing overall since it would exist without the expectations that it currently does, but Mage does NOT exist in a vacuum especially given the reinterpretations of the other games. Mage is the only one that lost the core of what it was and what made it a stand-out game before.
Hey, Funksaw asked and I obliged. If you're not interested in the comparison, you could always just ignore it. I'm still not convinced that a morality track is less relevant in the nWoD than in Kult, but I'm not interested in selling you on it either.

I'd argue that Mage lost the core of what made it a pain in the *** to play before, not what made it great. Paradigm and the consensus were a muddled mess that chiefly served to foster arguments instead of enjoyable RPing. There are elements of Ascension that I miss but those are trivially easy to replicate and overall I like the new cosmology much better than the old one.

Any bad guy Mages you now create, or any who don't subscribe to conventional Judeo-Christian morality, be they even something so closely related to that mindset as islamic, will now be penalised. Is not the bargain with darkness for power a far more universal magical theme than Atlantis? Whether Faust or Loa or 'the dark side of the force' stories of evil magicians abound. This cripples them.
Personally I prefer that mages have to face the consequences of their moral behaviour. That said, the game supports Faustian mages just fine: goetic mages, Scelesti, Acamoth. Not always as PCs, but then I don't consider that a flaw in the game. Likewise, I didn't consider it a flaw when Masquerade didn't allow Sabbat characters.

However, the default game has atlantean artefacts, atlantean ruins, codes, methodologies and innumerable other things.
No, it has artifacts, ruins, codes, etc. that some people claim without any corroborating evidence to be Atlantean. Certainly there's something from the past but nothing about its true nature is actually known with any degree of solidity. And again, that true nature is totally irrelevant to the day-to-day lives of mages in the setting unless you consciously choose to run a chronicle focusing on the topic.

If we restrict the discussion purely to the corebook that would be true - albeit a toolkit missing most of the tools you might need. If you include any fatsplats it is no longer true in the same way that GURPS is a Toolkit but Transhuman Space is not.
I never said it was the same as GURPS. That said, look at the VII book for Requiem -- that's pretty much the definition of "toolkit" right there.

KoOS

Funksaw

First Post
The mere fact that I'm posting will prolong this thread another page, I know it... but...

Eyebeams: We don't like the game as much as we liked the old one. Nothing you will say will convince us otherwise.

Grimjim: Eyebeams really, really, likes this game. Nothing we say will convince him it's anything other than what he believes it is. He will passionately defend any criticisms of the game as us being stupid, rather than thinking that maybe this game doesn't appeal to all people, and doesn't appeal to some fans of the old Mage.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
The net result of this thread is that now I would not touch the game with a ten foot pole.

No, the net result of this thread is that I now have little to no respect for any of their opinions on the new edition of Mage, pro or con. Also, that RPG.net flamewars belong on RPG.net and not here. Oh, and that I have a strong desire to start a new thread just so I can get some actual impressions instead of watching people having a thread-pissing match.

Yeah, and the reporting the thread thing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads