WotC MAGIC AFR

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
A pre release pack is sold only during the launch period. It includes five draft boosters, a random foil card(with some indication of the launch event), and some other things (like a d20 modified to count lives rather than be rolled randomly, and a code for five packs in Magic Arena ) it is small and the box can be used to store a deck. (Oh, and only is available in localized languages outside the US)

A bundle is a bigger package with ten draft boosters, some lands (half of them are foil) a fixed foul card, a dice life counter (that isn't exactly the same as the ones in pre-release packs, it can be a different color with a different symbol or otherwise the same just bigger) and it is made of a sturdy material that can be used to store cards.

A draft booster box includes 36 booster packs, and sometimes a bonus card.(again fixed, but it tends to be something desirable)

A draft booster includes 15 cards (1 is normally a land, 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons, and ten commons) and an additional card that sometimes is a token.

There are also set boosters, these have a more varied content not suitable for sealed play(a highlight is that you can possibly get cards from an special list). The box of set boosters tends to retail for more or less the same that a draft booster box, but it has only 24 booster packs.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Good guys. Please explain me.

Since I don't play Magic since 1995, I wonder what's the difference between these product, and what do you suggest me to buy considering I'd like to collect them and not play with.

BUNDLE

PRE RELEASE PACK

DRAFT BOOSTER

Thank you very much
If you are looking for just collector's items, Set Boosters or Collector's Boosters are the way to go. Collector's boosters have more special elements, but Set boosters have more cards and are less expensive.

Vael

Legend
A pre release pack is sold only during the launch period. It includes five draft boosters, a random foil card(with some indication of the launch event), and some other things (like a d20 modified to count lives rather than be rolled randomly, and a code for five packs in Magic Arena ) it is small and the box can be used to store a deck. (Oh, and only is available in localized languages outside the US)

Minor correction, but Prerelease kits have 6 draft boosters, as Sealed is generally played with 6 boosters. Also, I have seen stores sell off extra pre-release kits, but the key thing is unlike booster boxes, WOTC will not print more Prerelease kits.

ETA: Also I believe that this set, specifically, will have all 3 dungeon cards as well in the kit.

Weiley31

Legend
Honestly, I like the Bundle myself. It comes with a Larger D20 Spindown dice (and you can never have too many dice). The Box that the bundle comes in is nice looking and the "dragon scales" have a nice coloration to it. Plus the box itself can be used as a card storage. Which, even if you don't play MtG itself, you can probably use said card storage box for the Spell Cards for your class or which ever classes you can fit in there.

MoonSong

If you are looking for just collector's items, Set Boosters or Collector's Boosters are the way to go. Collector's boosters have more special elements, but Set boosters have more cards and are less expensive.
I wouldn't recommend Collector's boosters to anybody but the most hardcore players with deep pockets. Specially for people jumping in from D&D that don't have an existing collection. Let's not forget these are game pieces of which you need a non-trivial amount.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wouldn't recommend Collector's boosters to anybody but the most hardcore players with deep pockets. Specially for people jumping in from D&D that don't have an existing collection. Let's not forget these are game pieces of which you need a non-trivial amount.
The OP said he was looking for nice lookingcollector pieces, and wasn't interested in playing. Sounds like the specific use case for the Collector's Boosters.

MoonSong

The OP said he was looking for nice lookingcollector pieces, and wasn't interested in playing. Sounds like the specific use case for the Collector's Boosters.
I would go for set boosters then. But let's remember the bundle and the prerelease are pretty collectible by themselves

Remove ads