• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Construction Projects

Tarek

Explorer
Kerrik:
"Most conjurations, like wall of stone, are instantaneous effects - they become permanently nonmagical one round after being created."

In 3e, that's true. It's not true in 1st edition.

Slife

First Post
Have you read the Stronghold Builder book? It's got a lot of details about building castles, and has modifiers for what magic you have access to.

Warren Okuma

First Post
Pyrex said:
Magic would definately be used for construction when efficient.

Ponder. A single casting of Fabricate can replicate the work of potentially months of crafting checks, but by the NPC spellcasting guidelines costs 450gp.

Ditto for Stone Shape at 280gp.

9 times out of 10, it's cheaper for the person wanting labor done to hire a laborer and let them do it.

The 10th time, however, when you need the work done right now you shell out the big bucks for magical construction.
Absolutely. Of course when you need to mint a lot of currency or produce a lot of masterwork gear, fabricate just dominates everything.

justinsluder

First Post
let's not forget the easy way to reinforce stone walls. wall of stone + stone shape + wall of iron + metal melt.

make the walls with wall of stone, then shape them to have holes in them and channels for the liquid metal to flow down. then cast wall of iron and melt it into the holes.

nice? I think so.

Warren Okuma

First Post
justinsluder said:
let's not forget the easy way to reinforce stone walls. wall of stone + stone shape + wall of iron + metal melt.

make the walls with wall of stone, then shape them to have holes in them and channels for the liquid metal to flow down. then cast wall of iron and melt it into the holes.

nice? I think so.
Very nice, and quite elegant. I would do fabricate for finer detail though, but you need the skill... ah well...

Slife

First Post
Warren Okuma said:
Very nice, and quite elegant. I would do fabricate for finer detail though, but you need the skill... ah well...
Moment of prescience! CL as an insight bonus!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads