• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Compendium and the Epic Magic project

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I recently got the Magic Item Compendium, and I was pondering how it helps the Epic Magic project. I feel that one of the obstacles was figuring out the right treasure progression; what items and capabilities should a character have at a given level? Generally, these capacities have to line up with monsters of that CR level, and both have to match what the spellcasters are capable of.

I also got the Book of Nine Swords, but I haven't fully assimilated it yet. I wonder if anyone is working on epic maneuvers?

Anyway, I like how the MIC handles the "big six" - the weapon, armor, ability boosters etc. which were the focus of a lot of our attention. It reduces the problem of slot competition with more interesting items. (No +50% or +100% cost factor).

One thing it brought to my attention is that activation method is just like a body slot. Particularly items that take time (some kind of action) and which have to be held. I'll have to pore through the book to see if there are counter-examples, but I like Imre's suggestion "that magic items have to use a slot, so no Bagful of Stones That Let Me Do Whatever; and that the "non-standard" bonuses cannot be put on permanent or semi-permanent items (sacred, luck, etc)."

My notes about the seeds are in great disarray- I'll probably have to start from scratch and see what to do next. But I suspect that reverse engineering the mechanics of the items will yield great insights into how things ought to work.

Last edited:

Remove ads