• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item of Constant Protection from Evil

Thanee

First Post
And just for the record, I agree with nhl_1997 about what ongoing control means. Have stated this a few times myself. In the PHB there's pretty much only Dominate and, of course, the Magic Jar spell. Still an effect that trumps these powerful enchantments automatically (and the vampire's ability) is pretty good!

I think about 12,000 gp would be a fair price for such a ring.

Bye
Thanee

ARandomGod

First Post
Thanee said:
And just for the record, I agree with nhl_1997 about what ongoing control means. Have stated this a few times myself. In the PHB there's pretty much only Dominate and, of course, the Magic Jar spell. Still an effect that trumps these powerful enchantments automatically (and the vampire's ability) is pretty good!

I think about 12,000 gp would be a fair price for such a ring.

Bye
Thanee

Yea, I'd price such an item closer to 12k. It's not all that great, really, when you realize that rings of protection and cloaks of resistance can do a better job for a similiar price, but it does do a little extra, thus a cost cut for the items restriction to evil only, then a cost boost for the extra abilities...

Gaiden

Explorer
Holy Avengers

You might look to the paladin's sword for a suggested price on the ability.

Subtract the +5 holy part out and see what is left. Factor in the conditional bonuses, and come up with a final cost. Then divide by 3 to go from MCaE to PfE (and don't forget to multiply by the appropriate modifier to let anyone use it).

This would mean you have an item that doesn't take up a slot, is reactivatable every round, and gives you PfE. You could reduce the CL from whatever the holy avenger's is to further reduce the cost, but that runs into the problem of enemies SR being harder to overcome to gain the very useful ability to prevent natural attacks by summoned creatures and extraplanar creatures.

This would seem like the most straight-forward method to me and stays within the rules as you are just modifying an already existing item.

Nail

First Post
As another take:

Although the ring duplicates only one 1st level spell, all of us agree that spell is a d@mn good one. So, price it out as separate powers:
  • +2 Deflection AC (8000 gp)
  • +2 Resistance Saves on Evil spells only: I'd say that deserves a 30% discount, as per restricted use => 4,000 * 70%= (2800 gp)
  • Protection from Evil summoned creatures: This sounds like an entirely separate spell, actually (legacy issues not withstanding). How about a 2nd level spell, with a duration of 1 hour/level. If so, then the price for this power would be: 2 (2nd level spell) * 3 (min. caster level) * 2000 = (6,000 gp)
  • Protection from on-going mental control: Again, this sounds like a 3rd level spell, with a duration of 1 hour/level. Cost (3*5*2000 gp) = 30,000 gp.

Then you must decide how "different" these powers are (given this is a "slotted" item). I'd say they are similar, actually, meaning that their powers are simply added.

30,000 gp + 6,000 gp + 2,800 gp + 8,000 gp = 46,800 gp

How's them apples? :)

Point being: it's one of those wacky "legacy" 1st level spells. Don't price it as a 1st level spell!

Jeremy

Explorer
Nail said:
As another take:

Protection from Evil summoned creatures:
Actually protection from non-good summoned creatures. Large distinction. :) But in any case, I think I'm going to put it between the 18 k and 40 k marks and just call it even. It's not like they can't just cast the spell.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. :D

two

First Post
Nail said:
As another take:

Although the ring duplicates only one 1st level spell, all of us agree that spell is a d@mn good one. So, price it out as separate powers:
  • +2 Deflection AC (8000 gp)
  • +2 Resistance Saves on Evil spells only: I'd say that deserves a 30% discount, as per restricted use => 4,000 * 70%= (2800 gp)
  • Protection from Evil summoned creatures: This sounds like an entirely separate spell, actually (legacy issues not withstanding). How about a 2nd level spell, with a duration of 1 hour/level. If so, then the price for this power would be: 2 (2nd level spell) * 3 (min. caster level) * 2000 = (6,000 gp)
  • Protection from on-going mental control: Again, this sounds like a 3rd level spell, with a duration of 1 hour/level. Cost (3*5*2000 gp) = 30,000 gp.

Then you must decide how "different" these powers are (given this is a "slotted" item). I'd say they are similar, actually, meaning that their powers are simply added.

30,000 gp + 6,000 gp + 2,800 gp + 8,000 gp = 46,800 gp

How's them apples? :)

Point being: it's one of those wacky "legacy" 1st level spells. Don't price it as a 1st level spell!

Except that the "protection from on-going mental control" is so incredibly specific -- it basically covers Domination in the core rules, and maybe one other spell (magic jar). That makes it pretty low value. A PC could easily go from levels 1-20 and never have this item protect him/her even ONCE from a "domination". It's nice to have, but worth 30,000K? More like 3K. Hardly a 3rd level spell! Just call it "protection from Domination" and ask yourself what level spell it might be? 1st, if that. Ultra-specialized usage. Don't go overboard on the power of this particular effect.

Nail

First Post
two said:
Except that the "protection from on-going mental control" is so incredibly specific -- it basically covers Domination in the core rules, and maybe one other spell (magic jar). That makes it pretty low value.
I can understand how it might be interpreted that way.

If the DM and the players agree that the protection only really convers Dominate and Magic Jar and little else (how about a Harpy's song?) .....well then the power should be very cheap. How about a 1st level spell? Remember, we're talking about "1 hour/level" duration, for pricing purposes.

If so, then the item would cost (1*1*2000 gp) + 6,000 gp + 2,800 gp + 8,000 gp = 20,800 gp.

Again, we're also assuming we shouldn't use the "different" label, for different powers.

I think Jeremy has the right idea.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Protection from Evil was addressed in the 3E Main FAQ.

It's up to the DM if he considers this answer accurate or relevant, of course.

The second function of the protection from evil spell
blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature or to
exercise mental control over the creature. What, exactly,
counts as mental control?

“Mental control” includes all spells of the school of
Enchantment that have the Charm subschool, such as animal
friendship, charm person, and charm monster. It also includes
some Enchantment spells of the Compulsion subschool if those
spells grant the caster ongoing control over the subject; such
spells include dominate person and dominate monster.
Compulsions that merely dictate the subject’s action at the time
the spell takes effect are not blocked. Such spells include
command, hold person, geas/quest, hypnotism, insanity, Otto’s
irresistible dance, random action, suggestion, and zone of
truth.

-Hyp.

Velenne

Explorer
I dunno if this was taken into consideration in the 40k prices estimates up there, but I based my initial price on two things. The first is the chart in the DMG, which is obvious. The second is the chart for creating custom Intelligent items. One of the major powers is "Item can cast Magic Circle vs. <alignment> at will", priced at 16,000. That's at CL of 15, which has a significantly better chance of effecting SR of summoned creatures.

So ya, that's my 2c.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Velenne, I think that's taking it out of context too much to be useful.

In order to have that 16,000 gp power, you must also have the item be "an intellent item", with all the problems/fun times associated with that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads