Magic Item Request - Build me a cutlass

Kelleris

Explorer
Well, if he's a buckler-swashing type, you could give him an Oathblade - just like an Oathbow from the DMG, but in cutlass form. Change the activation phrases for it to suit the character, and you've got a solid +2 weapon with the ability to go all-in against the enemy captain or champion or whatever, plus the flashy criticals that the bards like. It fits his combat style too, since he can spend the first round or two buffing, identify the nastiest mother on the field, and then tumble right up in his face and give him a hard time with a very (temporarily) scary weapon - against a sworn foe, an oath weapon is +5, deals +2d6 extra damage on every hit, and increases its critical damage multiplier by 1. Couple of combats with that kind of power, even in limited form, and your pirate-bard'll probably have had his socks rocked off at least once or twice...

If you're feeling more creative, you can also change the +3 enhancement bonus provided against a sworn foe (and possibly also the extra damage and better crits) into something more appropos. It's one of my favorite tricks when I'm outfitting my characters or crafting items for them.

Celebrim

Legend
My advice DM to DM is if you really want to give a player an iconic weapon, make it a minor artifact and blow away the standard rules for making the item. Instead of worrying about its value, stick with something that you feel you can live with even if its theoretical value is above what a player of that level could obtain. Go broad instead of deep.

Runewander
+1 Keen Anarchic Cutless

Runewander is forged from an unknown substance which legend has is cold forged nightmares from the plane of limbo.

{Unique Substance: Cold Forged Nightmare - Hardness: 28 Hitpoints: 20, regenerates one hitpoint per round. Runewander is immune to damage from acid and rust, and immune also to the disentigrate and disjunction spells. Runewander is treated as cold forged steel, magic, and anarchic for the purposes of overcoming DR.}

Its appearance is as of shiny bronze, but its surface is inscribed with what appear to fine lines of green forming at first glance some runic alphabet. But these lines shimmer and wave in an uncanny fashion as if they floated on the surface of some fluid and never appear in the same pattern twice. The pommel of the cutless is shaped like a screaming skull and has two small green gems of an unknown type for eyes.

{Lawful characters that touch Runewander or which closely observe the blade for longer than 1 minute are effected as by an antipathy spell (caster level 15, DC 22). In contract, a chaotic character which grasps the hilt or which closely observes the blade is effected by a like strength sympathy spell. }

Runewander radiates strong chaos and mild evil if tested for. Despite is obviously arcane nature, it does not radiate magic nor are its power discernable by any form of direct divination (identify, ect. fails). When tested in the hand it feels well balanced and it appraises as a weapon of masterwork. Its blade is extraordinarly sharp and never appears to dull.

Runewander possesses many strange powers. The following known powers may be evoked as standard actions by those which learn the secrets of the blade.

3/day: Magic Circle Against Law (caster level 15, DC 17), duration 150 minutes or until the wielder leaves the current 5' square.
1/day: Fear (caster level 15, DC 18).
1/day: Nightmare (caster level 15, DC 19). In addition, whenever this power is activated successfully, the caster gains temporary hit points equal to the damage caused to the target. Damage sufferred by the wielder are first taken from these hitpoints. These temporary hitpoints are lost at the next nightfall.
1/day: Dancing, as the ability, 4 rounds duration.

Intelligence, its own agenda, subtle curses (other than the above sympathy) and other surprises are optional. The great thing about minor artifacts is that if you want to change the rules at a latter point because the object isn't as great as you wanted or is getting out of hand, you've got lots of tools for balancing it. Mysterious new powers or curses can emerge spontaneously, over time, or as the character increases in level.

Felix

Explorer
He's a Pirate: +1 Vicious Anarchic Cutlass

Because the Vicious property will hurt him as well as his enemies, and because having a sword hurts lawful enemies isn't as good as one that hurts evil enemies, I'd give him a break from the fact that it (a +4 equivalent weapon) represents 32,000gp out of the 66,000gp of wealth the DMG suggests.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
IcyCool said:
How about a +1 Parrying Collision Cutlass? +1 to hit, grants a +1 bonus to AC (can't remember the type of bonus), and +6 to damage. It doesn't look like he needs help in the to-hit department, so something that just cranks his damage ought to be helpful. If you have enough room, stack in keen.
I concur.

Andor

First Post
I'd give him something that plays to his strengths and has some nifty secondary power.

Say a +1 flaming cutlass that allows him to apply dex to damage instead of strength and casts Water Walking 1/day. Acid might be better than flame though. Corrosive green fog surrounding your weapon looks more piretical and is less likely to accidently incinerate your rigging. :D

rgard

Adventurer
Morrow said:
I've got a Bard/ Freeport Pirate in the game I DM who has suffered through 11 levels of advancement during which time I have cruely refused to provide him with any opportunity to acquire a decent weapon. That time has passed. Help a poor DM out and design a cutlass that will blow his socks off, yet stay within the wealth guidelines for an 11th level character. Something that will up his damage output would certainly make him smile. Beyond that go wild.

Morrow

Have it made with abyssal bloodiron. Free power critical feat. I think the material description is in the planar handbook.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Boy, I tell you, I was a young fellow then, had never been to the seas...
When the ship approached ours in broad daylight I was already expecting trouble, we all were. Our employer had been forewarned of the pirate attacks but decided that he had nothing to lose, or rather, that the possible profits outweighted the risks...
At the time they caught up with us -we knew escape would be impossible, and looked towards mercy- the ships might have well been some twenty feet apart, and therefore we were not expecting the man on the dark red captain's coat to jump from their deck to ours, blade in hand. He landed in a flutter of his coat with feline grace and celerity, adjusted his hat, and -as if it was the most natural thing to do- split in midair the crosbow bolt our employer had shot at him.
The prescence of the man was regal, almost noble-like, now, thinking back into the situation, we were all enthralled by his moves, his looks, his aura of command. So enthralled were we that our employer's action felt cowardly and disgusting, noone moved a hand to stop the pirate as he moved towards our quivering employer and, once beside him, turned back to return to his boat, leaving our employer holding his guts.
This was the same gentleman who warned us about pirates, he had approached us in broad daylight.

The Dashing Blade
A +1 cutlass of arrow deflection, which allows the wielder to use his Charisma modifier instead of his Strength modifier to determine the damage bonus when hitting with The Dashing Blade. Also, while unsheathed it provides its user with a +5 bonus on balance, tumble, and jump checks.​

30% the blade, 70% the man;)

Remove ads