D&D 5E Magic item that ticks

MarkB

Legend
Clockwork Amulet from Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

There also seems to be clockwork armour in the Book of Many Things, but I don't own it so can't comment on what it's like.

Oofta

Legend
Clockwork Amulet from Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

There also seems to be clockwork armour in the Book of Many Things, but I don't own it so can't comment on what it's like.

Apparently I purchased the book of many things but the armor description is missing any benefit. It has charges that you can expend but what those charges do is never stated.

The outside surface and internal joints of this armor whir with interlocking gears, drawing on the orderly magic of the plane of Mechanus.
The armor has 4 charges. If you make a d20 roll while wearing this armor, you can expend 1 charge to change the number rolled to a 10. The armor regains 1d4 expended charges daily at dawn.
In any case, another option is to use a construct or clockwork monster. Perhaps something like a Modron that is "clicking" as an alarm and call for aid. Badly damaged, it could become an ally of sorts.

Beyond that I'd likely just be making up some unique magical item likely something clock based if such things exist in your campaign. Since it's a custom item, just about anything is possible such as a time effect of moving the hands backwards reverses time. Maybe once a day it can be used to cast the Alarm spell.

MarkB

Legend
Apparently I purchased the book of many things but the armor description is missing any benefit. It has charges that you can expend but what those charges do is never stated.

The outside surface and internal joints of this armor whir with interlocking gears, drawing on the orderly magic of the plane of Mechanus.
The armor has 4 charges. If you make a d20 roll while wearing this armor, you can expend 1 charge to change the number rolled to a 10. The armor regains 1d4 expended charges daily at dawn.
So, a more powerful version of the amulet, both due to more charges and being able to use it after rolling rather than instead of doing so.

Oofta

Legend
So, a more powerful version of the amulet, both due to more charges and being able to use it after rolling rather than instead of doing so.
Ah, I need more caffeine or sleep before reading descriptions. Hmm ... think I'll go with more caffeine.

In any case either item would work, or a construct. The armor does require attunement and comes in all types of metal armor.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
maybe a device that has numbers 1 to 12 spaced evenly around it in a circular pattern, a pointer moves around the numbers taking around 60 seconds to move one step, the ticking counter is what determines the rate of movement?

Remove ads