• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic items and metamagic feats

Memnus

First Post
Boards have been quiet lately ... so here's a topic for discussion.

So, you can use metamagic feats in creating spell storage items, i.e. wands and scrolls. Some of the wands for random generation have metamagic attached, specifically, heighten spell. So what about others?

The description of a spell completion item (any scroll, probably something else somewhere) says that it takes a standard action; under scrolls themselves, it says if a spell normally takes longer, the scroll takes that long to cast. So what about spells that only take quick actions to cast? Does a Feather Fall scroll, or a quickened spell take a standard action, or can it be written on a post-it note?

What about Silent Spell? If a caster is caught by a surprise Silence, would a Silent Dispel Magic scroll be useful, or would the spell have to be prepared?

Food for thought.

DMEntropy

First Post
These are interesting questions. I am very curious to see how my interpretation stacks up against the others here. My history has been to among the ranks of the dissenters more than the concensus...

Scrolls must be read. Silence would negate the silenced Dispel Magic scroll's effectiveness. It would be a silly combination to begin with.

Reading a scroll takes a non-move action. I don't think that a quickened spell on a scroll would read any faster. My understanding is that a scroll takes at least as long as an action to read. If the spell is longer than that to cast, then it takes more. Never less time though.

Anyone eles?

Remove ads